• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big Ben contemplating retirement?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ben was still plenty good enough for the Steelers to contend for a ring. Their problem was a horrid secondary and a lack of pass rush. When you are starting James Harrison, clearly, you have had some issues with talent at OLB. The offense for the Steelers was pretty good for the most part.
They did go through a stretch in the playoffs of like 6 quarters without a TD. The caveat "for the most part" definitely applies.

(maybe not. But they didnt do enough in clutch situations offensively)

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be non-committal too, given Bell and Brown are both staring down unrestricted free agency soon.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its awful.........It pains me to say this, but the Pats didn't even break a sweat all the way to the SB this season

Ben retires? How easy will it get for NE the next couple?

Does Oakland put together a threatening enough defense?

Do Denver or KC improve enough at the QB position?

I cant think of many teams that would even be in the conversation........Marriotta and the Titans are a loooong way off from being SB threats IMO
I wouldn't right off the AFC so quickly. The Raiders are set up to compete for the next several years, the Chiefs with Andy Reid will always be a good to very good team, the Broncos will bounce back (there defense is too good for them to go away), the Ravens are still a threat, I think the Bengals will bounce back as well, I don't think the Titans are as far off as you think they are, the Texans could be great if they can find a qb, the Colts need a decent GM and they're right in the thick of things with Luck, the Dolphins are improving.

Now it won't work out like that for all of those teams, but if 2 or 3 of them step up a level that would make a pretty solid top 4. And the Patriots won't be around forever. Belichick will be 65 at the start of next season and has already said he doesn't want to coach into his 70s, and Brady will be 40 at the start of next season and will hit that wall eventually (father time is undefeated, and I don't believe Brady can play until he's 45, despite what he says).

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't right off the AFC so quickly. The Raiders are set up to compete for the next several years, the Chiefs with Andy Reid will always be a good to very good team, the Broncos will bounce back (there defense is too good for them to go away), the Ravens are still a threat, I think the Bengals will bounce back as well, I don't think the Titans are as far off as you think they are, the Texans could be great if they can find a qb, the Colts need a decent GM and they're right in the thick of things with Luck, the Dolphins are improving.

Now it won't work out like that for all of those teams, but if 2 or 3 of them step up a level that would make a pretty solid top 4. And the Patriots won't be around forever. Belichick will be 65 at the start of next season and has already said he doesn't want to coach into his 70s, and Brady will be 40 at the start of next season and will hit that wall eventually (father time is undefeated, and I don't believe Brady can play until he's 45, despite what he says).

Don't dis-agree there are some competitive teams there, but Im talking real, serious threats to NE waltzing into the SB.....Obviously Denver knows how to get it done, but they will need improved QB play, especially if they ever have to travel up to NE.......KC with Alex Smith is doomed to always fall short, as are the Colts, until they make some really drastic improvements on defense......Oakland is serious for sure, although Id like to see them get a little more nasty on the defensive side of the ball

Agree on Houston, but as you know, finding that QB could take years, if ever

Titans, we will see, a lot of talent, but even Marriotta has to improve a bunch, not to mention some of the weaknesses on the defensive side

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't dis-agree there are some competitive teams there, but Im talking real, serious threats to NE waltzing into the SB.
Probably a non-issue in 2 years. BB and Brady aren't immortal.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a surprise. He's got a couple rings, is getting up there in age, and clearly has enough money if he invested wisely.

Ben quite possibly might be the BEST QB of all time in terms of durability and toughness but it must've taken a toll on his body.

Regardless, the Steelers need to think about drafting an understudy ASAP. This might be the draft to do it. Watson has gone to the 2nd in some mocks.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ben simply has a case of postpartum depression like a lot of new mothers do.

A few off season boat drinks and he will be good to go.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd be smart to

Not sure how fucked they are on this Ossweiler thing
They've got about $25 million in cap space for next year, and they can dump Osweiler after next season and save $15 million against the cap (it will cost them $6 million in dead money though). If I were them I'd seriously make a play for Romo, unless they really believe that Savage is the guy.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd be smart to

Not sure how fucked they are on this Ossweiler thing

I think JJ will try and do right by Romo somehow and Houston would be a fit. But Osweiler earns a little too much. If JJ takes some sort of cash hit to release Romo to them, maybe Houston coughs up a better draft pick in the deal.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've got about $25 million in cap space for next year, and they can dump Osweiler after next season and save $15 million against the cap (it will cost them $6 million in dead money though). If I were them I'd seriously make a play for Romo, unless they really believe that Savage is the guy.

Naah, Savage is a place holder

I think he was healthy in the NE game and they didn't turn to him

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never really was sold on Tomlin beyond just being a solid coach. Stuff like this (and his scheme on D) definitely doesn't surprise me when shit hits the fan. He's a phenomenal players guy normally so a bit of positive momentum and they're back where they are unless Ben goes into a death spiral.

There's a lot people not sold on Tomlin that root for the Black & Gold.

I think he's "solid" but I would struggle to go beyond that and I like MT...whenever things are not going well (like the 4 gm losing streak) and he has to rally the troops they tend to respond (won 9 straight to close this season before the NE loss) this loss in the fashion that it was definitely has a lot of people pointing at the staff and Tomlin is the main staff.

The reality (imo) they simply were not good enough, but I would like to have seen a more aggressive on DEF.

Ben...I'm not going to pretend I know anymore than the next guy, but I think there's been some frustration building with Antonio Brown and this might be his way of reeling him in a little by saying hey, I don't need to do this anymore.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pittsburgh beat writers were speculating he said this to create a smoke screen after basically suggesting he knew Bell was injured (team did not disclose it) and some other dumb shit he said earlier.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ben was still plenty good enough for the Steelers to contend for a ring. Their problem was a horrid secondary and a lack of pass rush. When you are starting James Harrison, clearly, you have had some issues with talent at OLB. The offense for the Steelers was pretty good for the most part.

Secondary...young but I they got a lot better, no longer horrid by the end of the year. Why they didn't let this kids play in the NE game is a head scratcher...I will say Gay was horrid...I don't expect he will be starting next yr at nickle.

Pass rush...agree 100% Bud Dupree is coming on, but Jarvis Jones was bust. A 40 y/o as your best pass rusher is trouble.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot people not sold on Tomlin that root for the Black & Gold.

I think he's "solid" but I would struggle to go beyond that and I like MT...whenever things are not going well (like the 4 gm losing streak) and he has to rally the troops they tend to respond (won 9 straight to close this season before the NE loss) this loss in the fashion that it was definitely has a lot of people pointing at the staff and Tomlin is the main staff.

The reality (imo) they simply were not good enough, but I would like to have seen a more aggressive on DEF.

Ben...I'm not going to pretend I know anymore than the next guy, but I think there's been some frustration building with Antonio Brown and this might be his way of reeling him in a little by saying hey, I don't need to do this anymore.

I could be wrong...I usually am, but I always had the impression the 3 SB appearances and 2 wins were more of Dick and Bens doing than they were Mike's.

game

Hoopla Cash
$ 9.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger has been sacked 505 times since 2004, including playoff games, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The next-highest total over that span is 382 (Philip Rivers). That's a big number to consider as Roethlisberger mulls retirement.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow that is a lot of sacks. The way he tries to hold the ball and extend plays must really take a toll on him over a season because he takes huge hits.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow the QB pool in the NFL just got alot worse:suds:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong...I usually am, but I always had the impression the 3 SB appearances and 2 wins were more of Dick and Bens doing than they were Mike's.

There's some truth there but I wouldn't say it's totally right.

What I will say is Cowher and Colbert built the teams that Tomlin took to the SB. I'll give him some credit for his win, because after the SB Cowher won he went 8-8 the following season. Tomlin came in the next season and re-energized the troops and got the team back to 2 more SBs...the 2010 team was an aging that should've been disbanded after losing to GB...too many guys still pretty good player, but at the end of their prime.

Tomlin is not a great X & O coach imo. He cut his teeth on DEF, but was 34ish when he got the HC job and had a HOFer as a DC, you don't mess with that and he was smart enough not to. I think his fingerprints are more on this DEF though...maybe a player or two short imo of having a SB caliber DEF.