• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are changing the argument to 16 teams make no sense because of cross division scheduling. How many countless articles are there out there stating how there should/will be 4 P5 conferences with 16 teams? I have seen tons. Plus wouldn't adding 2 more teams to the SEC (the mentioned strongest conference) create more games within such great conference making SEC teams schedule stronger?

16 is a good number because it gives you 2 8 team divisions. 7 divisional games and 2 cross division games. 3 OOC
To make a 16 team conference work you either have to go to 4 divisions or do away with divisions within the conference altogether (which has its own problems). The ACC and SEC have had discussion involving both scenarios. It only makes sense for the SEC if they can grab both Virgina and NC as states but it's not something anyone is pursing because of the legal issues and scheduling issues.

If a conference implodes it has to be from within and teams CHOOSING to pursue other conferences or the liability for tampering is very real. The most likely scenerio for that is the Big 12.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC distributed 22.1mm per school
The Big 12 distributed 25.3 mm per school

I don't think it's a streatch to say that the Big 12 is being paid at the top of their market and the ACC has room to grow. The ACC setting up their own network should help close the GAP pretty quickly as well.

You are so stuck on current PAC numbers but fail to acknowledge that they own 100% of their network and have the opportunity to bring in a partner at any point and cash in. You bring UT and OU in and the network can bring a premium price for a partner and still maintain control.

It isn't hard to see the advantages of what I'm proposing.

Again, you're failing.

The ACC's payout already includes selling their tier 3 to ESPN, so even if they launched a conference network they'd get zero more dollars for it. You add in all the Big 12 team's tier 3 deals and the GAP actually gets much wider, not closing.

As for the PAC network, yes they own it but it's failing. You think someone is going to come in and buy a failing network just for the fun of it? "Here is a pile of cash, we'd like to purchase that network that doesn't have much distribution in a cord cutting era, please take our money" .

Face it, all of your arguments on this subject are based on your own opinions of what could happen, and none are based on any facts. Shoot the only fact you ever posted was the article suggesting that the SEC should raid the ACC for a Virginia and North Carolina school, stick to that one fact and build off of that.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC distributed 22.1mm per school
The Big 12 distributed 25.3 mm per school

I don't think it's a streatch to say that the Big 12 is being paid at the top of their market and the ACC has room to grow. The ACC setting up their own network should help close the GAP pretty quickly as well.

You are so stuck on current PAC numbers but fail to acknowledge that they own 100% of their network and have the opportunity to bring in a partner at any point and cash in. You bring UT and OU in and the network can bring a premium price for a partner and still maintain control.

It isn't hard to see the advantages of what I'm proposing.

The ACC's contract includes both basketball and football and all tier 3 revenue. Their contract is one of the worst out there. Big 12 distributed $25.3M per school off football alone, and that doesn't include the lucrative 3rd tier revenue that Texas, OU, KU, WVU and KSU bring in on the side. Not sure why you're obsessed with the Big 12 failing, but you're trying too hard there bud.....

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC's contract includes both basketball and football and all tier 3 revenue. Their contract is one of the worst out there. Big 12 distributed $25.3M per school off football alone, and that doesn't include the lucrative 3rd tier revenue that Texas, OU, KU, WVU and KSU bring in on the side. Not sure why you're obsessed with the Big 12 failing, but you're trying too hard there bud.....
There is no debate that the ACC has one of the worst negotiated contracts but the other side of that is they have a ton of upside when the opportunity comes.

The PAC network isn't failing it just doesn't have distribution and a partner could turn that around overnight. They have the infrastructure and programming where they could negotiate with anything one out there. Why they haven't done it is a mystery but they have tremendous upside potential.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no debate that the ACC has one of the worst negotiated contracts but the other side of that is they have a ton of upside when the opportunity comes.

The PAC network isn't failing it just doesn't have distribution and a partner could turn that around overnight. They have the infrastructure and programming where they could negotiate with anything one out there. Why they haven't done it is a mystery but they have tremendous upside potential.

Just out of curiosity, no trolling here, just an honest question, why are you so hell bent on the Big 12 failing?

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity, no trolling here, just an honest question, why are you so hell bent on the Big 12 failing?
I don't really care and it's probably best the don't but everything points to it happening. It's just an opinion but it t does get fueled when I see dumbass posts like:

- We should add Houston
- The ACC is going to fold
- The SEC network doesn't bring in any money
- TCU was a good addition

All the above is just plain stupid talk. I probably wouldn't have posted as much here if it wasn't the off season but this is at least more interesting then WTF Harbaugh is doing, who has been arrested or satellite camps.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care and it's probably best the don't but everything points to it happening. It's just an opinion but it t does get fueled when I see dumbass posts like:

- We should add Houston
- The ACC is going to fold
- The SEC network doesn't bring in any money
- TCU was a good addition

All the above is just plain stupid talk. I probably wouldn't have posted as much here if it wasn't the off season but this is at least more interesting then WTF Harbaugh is doing, who has been arrested or satellite camps.

Houston brings nothing to the table, so I totally agree with you on that one. Not sure who said the SEC network doesn't bring in any money :noidea:

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston brings nothing to the table, so I totally agree with you on that one. Not sure who said the SEC network doesn't bring in any money :noidea:
Oh Lance is on that one big time and points out constantly it only brought in 5mm the first year while ignoring it was a partial year and paid back start up costs.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it makes more sense than 14 does, why be in a conference with teams in the other division you only see every four years?

Also, it is becoming more and more obvious that your Mountaineers got screwed by the committee in baseball. Should have been in the tourney.

Every conference maybe shouldn't go to 16 but making the jump from 12 to 14 makes no sense. It is what it is though. I am just hopeful that the B12 sticks together.

Hey man, I went to a game this year back in April. We were playing supposedly a down team in k-state. We lost 15-2. I was like this team is going nowhere. Man was I wrong. Could of beat TCU, but I was glad they beat OU twice in the conference tourney.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Committees seem to be overly influenced by polls/rankings/perception more than on field performance. Just my opinion. WVA was pretty damned good in "hummm babe" this year. I went to their three game series with Tech in Lubbock back in May. All three games were good close games. And they lost a 10 inning game to TCU in the conference finals.

Haha yeah, that newish coach Mazey is gettin this club going way more than that old POS coach van zant. Tech looked damn good this year

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To make a 16 team conference work you either have to go to 4 divisions or do away with divisions within the conference altogether (which has its own problems). The ACC and SEC have had discussion involving both scenarios. It only makes sense for the SEC if they can grab both Virgina and NC as states but it's not something anyone is pursing because of the legal issues and scheduling issues.

If a conference implodes it has to be from within and teams CHOOSING to pursue other conferences or the liability for tampering is very real. The most likely scenerio for that is the Big 12.

Won't disagree with the last few sentences. However it is def possible for the status quo to stay the same for a few decades. Or the B12 adds 2 teams to get to 12.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yikes, he was all over the place in that article. He points out the Big 12 makes more than the ACC and PAC, then says the big 12 is doomed. He points out that Texans love their big 12, but that its somehow doomed. I really think the Big 12 will wait til the GOR is up on every conference and weigh their options.

experiments with "...Amazon, Google, Netflix" in lieu of a conference network.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Texas, TCU, and Tech told him to settle down. They were not voting with him on some of his silly ideas.
Baylor actually voted as well with the Texas group, but we don't really like being associated with them right now.

Only OKie Lite seems interested in following Boren. That might be fear of being left out from Bedlam.
OU itself was torn in two....as even the Sooner's Board of Directors are against Boren as well.

I understand what Boren's endgame is....and I respect it to some degree.
But, it gets tiresome.

He needs to take at least 2 or 3 months to lay low before he gets the entire league once again stuck in a dumbass news cycle for no reason.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
experiments with "...Amazon, Google, Netflix" in lieu of a conference network.
That definitely seems to be the direction things are heading. That's one of the reasons the B1G's TV deal is so intriguing...it will expire before any of the other conferences, and I would guess that by that point there will be more clarity on what the future holds for television. The B1G should be on the cutting edge as far as tier 1 rights goes, but if you guys want to work out the kinks in the platform with your lower tier rights, we'd appreciate it :thumb:

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I found that quote curious too. I guess in a way ESPN is trying to build up the B1G Network. It's already a pretty established entity, but they did invest in it and I'm sure they're going to do what they can to pump it up even more in order to make money off it.