• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So staying at 14 for both the B1G and SEC makes more sense then adding 2 more and going to 16. GTFO with that.

If both the B1G and SEC could add teams from Carolina and UVA they would/will. It makes perfect sense to see the ACC lose a few teams.

Oh he knows that, he even posted an article showing the only way the SEC network makes more money per school would be if they added teams in Virginia and North Carolina. Add that to the fact that the ACC makes the least amount of money, and already gave away their tier 3 rights to ESPN and they're F###'d.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh he knows that, he even posted an article showing the only way the SEC network makes more money per school would be if they added teams in Virginia and North Carolina. Add that to the fact that the ACC makes the least amount of money, and already gave away their tier 3 rights to ESPN and they're F###'d.

Ohh yeah, now we're talking. I mean anythings possible but those advocating that the ACC is absolute safe is lying to themselves.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So staying at 14 for both the B1G and SEC makes more sense then adding 2 more and going to 16. GTFO with that.

If both the B1G and SEC could add teams from Carolina and UVA they would/will. It makes perfect sense to see the ACC lose a few teams.

I agree with ralphiewvu. The B1G and SEC will go to 16, they are probably figuring out if it is two eight team divisions or four four team divisions.

I prefer the two eight team divisions. Seven division games, plus two cross division games, you will see a team every four years from the other division, guaranteed. That leaves three non-con games. Could also completely blow it up and do seven division games, four cross division games, and one big time non-con game. That way you play the other division every two years.

I just hope it stops at 16. For me, anything larger than a 16 team conference is too unwieldy.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes because 16 is a miserable number to schedule cross divisional games. Raiding the ACC is not a simple task and you are talking very limited interest on the part of the SEC. As for the Big 10 you could see interest in UVA, UNC and GT but I doubt there will be a lot of return interest.

Right now the Big 12 is being paid at the top of the market and the ACC is underpaid. The ratings for big ACC match ups are growing and the Big 12 ratings are declining.

Bottom line expansion only makes sense for the PAC and only if they cherry pick the Big 12.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT and a NC team can't break the ACC up where OU and Texas absolutely can take out the Big 12. Once FSU and Clemson signed away their media rights it was a done deal. Texas and OU working together could completely torpedo the Big 12 pretty easily.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT and a NC team can't break the ACC up where OU and Texas absolutely can take out the Big 12. Once FSU and Clemson signed away their media rights it was a done deal. Texas and OU working together could completely torpedo the Big 12 pretty easily.

So, you have no facts or common sense reasons as to why, just that you think Tx/OU can torpedo the Big 12 gor but FSU and Clemson can't. Got it.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they cant, the ONLY way the Big12 can break apart is the same way the ACC can break apart and that is dissolve the conference, meaning enough schools have to leave that the conference no longer exists.
Now, yes it would take FEWER schools for it to happen to the Big12 (60% if I remember correctly) but 2 wont cut it, NO school(s) will be leaving and letting their former conference keep their tv rights to go to another conference or independent, which is exactly what will happen should Texas/OU or FSU/Clemson or whatever other combo of 2 from any other conference that has a GOR someone cares to throw out there tries to leave. There will be no buying out the contract either because the members left behind know full well that the economic ramifications would be devastating so no negotiations will happen, its either stay put and wait out the GOR or move on and not be seen on television until your previous conferences GOR is up which is never going to happen.

The ACC makes less money and has more desirable tv markets for the SEC and BIG and their conference networks, the Big12 would like to expand by a few but only wants P5 level programs, its not rocket science to see which conference is in the crosshairs. The SEC gets 2, the BIG gets 2, and the Big12 gets their pick of the rest to go to 16 and just like that the ACC doesn't exist anymore.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes because 16 is a miserable number to schedule cross divisional games. Raiding the ACC is not a simple task and you are talking very limited interest on the part of the SEC. As for the Big 10 you could see interest in UVA, UNC and GT but I doubt there will be a lot of return interest.

Right now the Big 12 is being paid at the top of the market and the ACC is underpaid. The ratings for big ACC match ups are growing and the Big 12 ratings are declining.

Bottom line expansion only makes sense for the PAC and only if they cherry pick the Big 12.

Link?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ohh, we're talking cross division games now? Why go to 14 then if that's the worry? Stay at 12. You know that 14 is a more bs number then 16 stop kidding yourself.

Limited interest on the part of the SEC? Is that a joke. The only way the sec expands (as I've been told by 4d) is in the states of North Carolina and Virginia. The SEC will not add anyone else.

ACC rating match ups are growing? Seriously, link or gtfo.

Bottom line quit pulling shit out of your ass.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh, we're talking cross division games now? Why go to 14 then if that's the worry? Stay at 12. You know that 14 is a more bs number then 16 stop kidding yourself.

Limited interest on the part of the SEC? Is that a joke. The only way the sec expands (as I've been told by 4d) is in the states of North Carolina and Virginia. The SEC will not add anyone else.

ACC rating match ups are growing? Seriously, link or gtfo.

Bottom line quit pulling shit out of your ass.
I haven't pulled anything out of my ass because ever since the conference has gone to 14 there have been scheduling issues:

How many articles have you read about breaking the conference into 4 divisions instead of 2?
How many articles have seen where team's are trying to protect long term rival games?
How many posts have you seen where people are bitching about SEC schools getting lighter schedules?

14 is a pain in the ass but 16 makes cross division play an issue if you can't see that it's your issue not mine. If you went to 18 or 20 it makes any cross division play pretty much impossible except in a championship game. It's just plain simple math.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you have no facts or common sense reasons as to why, just that you think Tx/OU can torpedo the Big 12 gor but FSU and Clemson can't. Got it.
So you don't think Texas can walk away anytime they want? There have been plenty of Texas fans that have claimed otherwise and questioned the validity of the Big 12s media rights agreement. If the PAC took 4 teams at once led by Texas and OU the conference is gone period.

Clemson and FSU had their flirt and opted to stay and both are prospering so they aren't going anywhere.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you don't think Texas can walk away anytime they want? There have been plenty of Texas fans that have claimed otherwise and questioned the validity of the Big 12s media rights agreement. If the PAC took 4 teams at once led by Texas and OU the conference is gone period.

Clemson and FSU had their flirt and opted to stay and both are prospering so they aren't going anywhere.

No, Texas can't and doesn't want to walk away whenever they want. Again, why would anybody go to the PAC for less money?

Clemson and FSU prospering, are you sure? How much TV money do they take in?

Please stop making stuff up, you're looking silly now and you usually have at least some facts.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't pulled anything out of my ass because ever since the conference has gone to 14 there have been scheduling issues:

How many articles have you read about breaking the conference into 4 divisions instead of 2?
How many articles have seen where team's are trying to protect long term rival games?
How many posts have you seen where people are bitching about SEC schools getting lighter schedules?

14 is a pain in the ass but 16 makes cross division play an issue if you can't see that it's your issue not mine. If you went to 18 or 20 it makes any cross division play pretty much impossible except in a championship game. It's just plain simple math.

You are changing the argument to 16 teams make no sense because of cross division scheduling. How many countless articles are there out there stating how there should/will be 4 P5 conferences with 16 teams? I have seen tons. Plus wouldn't adding 2 more teams to the SEC (the mentioned strongest conference) create more games within such great conference making SEC teams schedule stronger?

16 is a good number because it gives you 2 8 team divisions. 7 divisional games and 2 cross division games. 3 OOC

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
16 is a good number because it gives you 2 8 team divisions. 7 divisional games and 2 cross division games. 3 OOC

While it makes more sense than 14 does, why be in a conference with teams in the other division you only see every four years?

Also, it is becoming more and more obvious that your Mountaineers got screwed by the committee in baseball. Should have been in the tourney.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it makes more sense than 14 does, why be in a conference with teams in the other division you only see every four years?

Also, it is becoming more and more obvious that your Mountaineers got screwed by the committee in baseball. Should have been in the tourney.

Agree. Big 12 is having a monster year in athletics.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Big 12 is having a monster year in athletics.
Committees seem to be overly influenced by polls/rankings/perception more than on field performance. Just my opinion. WVA was pretty damned good in "hummm babe" this year. I went to their three game series with Tech in Lubbock back in May. All three games were good close games. And they lost a 10 inning game to TCU in the conference finals.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Committees seem to be overly influenced by polls/rankings/perception more than on field performance. Just my opinion. WVA was pretty damned good in "hummm babe" this year. I went to their three game series with Tech in Lubbock back in May. All three games were good close games. And they lost a 10 inning game to TCU in the conference finals.

Big 12 looks solid in Omaha so far, good to see the two Texas schools advance.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Texas can't and doesn't want to walk away whenever they want. Again, why would anybody go to the PAC for less money?

Clemson and FSU prospering, are you sure? How much TV money do they take in?

Please stop making stuff up, you're looking silly now and you usually have at least some facts.
The ACC distributed 22.1mm per school
The Big 12 distributed 25.3 mm per school

I don't think it's a streatch to say that the Big 12 is being paid at the top of their market and the ACC has room to grow. The ACC setting up their own network should help close the GAP pretty quickly as well.

You are so stuck on current PAC numbers but fail to acknowledge that they own 100% of their network and have the opportunity to bring in a partner at any point and cash in. You bring UT and OU in and the network can bring a premium price for a partner and still maintain control.

It isn't hard to see the advantages of what I'm proposing.