• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love this but all it will do is create more 16 school conferences. The SEC isn't going to let a Virgina and NC school get away and neither is the Big 10.

I do think a aTm and VT rivalry would be pretty cool and definitely need to be permanent cross rivals if it ever happened (but won't).

Why would that ever be a rivalry? People just assume rivalries can be manufactured. I just dont understand that thinking

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct - I was unaware of this agreement. I only knew about the 2-year fees deal (which was insufficient to keep Maryland from leaving.) This is much more severe.

Yeah, this basically makes it impossible for any school to leave the ACC...so those thinking the ACC is gonna implode...highly unlikely.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this basically makes it impossible for any school to leave the ACC...so those thinking the ACC is gonna implode...highly unlikely.

what if 10 of the 14 schools leave? Say the big ten and SEC take 2 each, and 6 move to the Big 12?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what if 10 of the 14 schools leave? Say the big ten and SEC take 2 each, and 6 move to the Big 12?

I don't think the public schools can. No way in this financial climate they can justify that outlay of cash from public funds. But yes in your doomsday scenario that could happen. In theory.

They'd keep those 4, raid the AAC and CUSA and make the best of it. The money they have coming in is nuts.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the public schools can. No way in this financial climate they can justify that outlay of cash from public funds. But yes in your doomsday scenario that could happen. In theory.

They'd keep those 4, raid the AAC and CUSA and make the best of it. The money they have coming in is nuts.

ACC makes less than the other P5 conferences, so wouldn't the public schools be all for making more money?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would that ever be a rivalry? People just assume rivalries can be manufactured. I just dont understand that thinking
Both schools have the corp of cadets which is very unique.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More I think about it, what I heard some guys say on this topic here is right: Big12 does not need to do anything right now-they are making good money. ACC and PAC are the ones who should worry, in a sense, because Big12 makes more bucks.

What the Big12 has is a PERCEPTION problem...everyone thinks they are in trouble, but in fact, they could be in a prime position. The TV/distribution world is changing, ESPN is not knocking down their door looking to throw money at a network, cord cutters, etc. When the current contract expires, they can jump on the train that's coming down the track.

They do NOT need to add members who would bring zero to the table, just to get to twelve. Moving to a championship game, while hard for us to swallow because they play a round-robin and it will thus be a repeat matchup, does give what the committee wants: a 13th data point.

They dont care about the round-robin, they just want that final data point.

So they should just do the CCG, and then stand pat.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More I think about it, what I heard some guys say on this topic here is right: Big12 does not need to do anything right now-they are making good money. ACC and PAC are the ones who should worry, in a sense, because Big12 makes more bucks.

What the Big12 has is a PERCEPTION problem...everyone thinks they are in trouble, but in fact, they could be in a prime position. The TV/distribution world is changing, ESPN is not knocking down their door looking to throw money at a network, cord cutters, etc. When the current contract expires, they can jump on the train that's coming down the track.

They do NOT need to add members who would bring zero to the table, just to get to twelve. Moving to a championship game, while hard for us to swallow because they play a round-robin and it will thus be a repeat matchup, does give what the committee wants: a 13th data point.

They dont care about the round-robin, they just want that final data point.

So they should just do the CCG, and then stand pat.

Once Boren shuts the #### up the perception problem goes away, especially with a championship game now.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once Boren shuts the #### up the perception problem goes away, especially with a championship game now.

The perception problem won't go away. Especially since Baylor is about to start a downward spiral back to where they belong.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The perception problem won't go away. Especially since Baylor is about to start a downward spiral back to where they belong.

oh that's okay: Texas is coming back up, Baylor goes back to irrelevancy, OU is strong, WVU can be a power, TCU is doing things.

It'll be alright, only needs to keep it going until the next contract then we'll see what happens in CFB as a whole in regards to TV/distribution/conferences.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can understand raiding the AAC but just curious, who do you think from CUSA would help the BIG XII?

That wouldn't be an issue if everyone in the ACC realized that Swofford is a buffoon and needs to resign.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love this but all it will do is create more 16 school conferences. The SEC isn't going to let a Virgina and NC school get away and neither is the Big 10.

I do think a aTm and VT rivalry would be pretty cool and definitely need to be permanent cross rivals if it ever happened (but won't).

I think that if VT would develop a rivalry with anyone in the SEC if they were to join, it'd likely be Tennessee.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do we division names for this shit show yet or what?