• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC is probably the closest now with LSU and Mizzou at least.

that's true, and there we'd get to play A&M again, so that's another plus.

However, it's a real longshot for University of Texas to move to the SEC.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's true, and there we'd get to play A&M again, so that's another plus.

However, it's a real longshot for University of Texas to move to the SEC.

Totally fair. Just saying in terms of geography etc.

Plus getting access to those southeastern recruits....texas could have some fun.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've liked going to the PAC when the talk was the entire big 12 south was going. IF they'd be willing to take 5 big 12 teams, Texas, tech, TCU, ou and okie jr I'd be in. Travel gets cut down with so many partners, put us in a division with Colorado, AZ, and ASU and you basically have a southwest division. Only problem is who's going to tell Utah they're out?

Other than this option, I'd prefer to stay in the big 12.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've liked going to the PAC when the talk was the entire big 12 south was going. IF they'd be willing to take 5 big 12 teams, Texas, tech, TCU, ou and okie jr I'd be in. Travel gets cut down with so many partners, put us in a division with Colorado, AZ, and ASU and you basically have a southwest division. Only problem is who's going to tell Utah they're out?

Other than this option, I'd prefer to stay in the big 12.

yes, if there could be a whole region going, it would make it doable to me. That way, we'd still get to play the USCs, and rest of the fun opponents occasionally. Plus have them come to Austin would be really cool.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC, The ACC's new buyout provisions make it almost impossible to raid them.
Except of course for Maryland going to the B1G. I know you said "almost" but we don't know of anyone being courted where the conversations got shut down due to the exit fees. (And if I remember correctly, Maryland was pretty much broke when they decided to leave.)

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except of course for Maryland going to the B1G. I know you said "almost" but we don't know of anyone being courted where the conversations got shut down due to the exit fees. (And if I remember correctly, Maryland was pretty much broke when they decided to leave.)

Best bet is if the Big, SEC, then Big 12 all go after ACC schools at the same time.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best bet is if the Big, SEC, then Big 12 all go after ACC schools at the same time.
I keep saying it - I still expect the ACC to implode before too long due to too many cooks being in the kitchen. I don't think that the future is 16-school conferences at all because getting that many academic institutions to agree to anything is nigh on impossible. (Hence the contraction of the the 16-school WAC and 17-school Big East.)

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep saying it - I still expect the ACC to implode before too long due to too many cooks being in the kitchen. I don't think that the future is 16-school conferences at all because getting that many academic institutions to agree to anything is nigh on impossible. (Hence the contraction of the the 16-school WAC and 17-school Big East.)

I think the ACC is imploding because the states of Virginia and North Carolina are populated enough to bring in big money for the Big ten and SEC networks.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC is probably the closest now with LSU and Mizzou at least.

SEC travel is tough. One of positives about the PAC is the easy of travel. Most of the Universities are in large cities.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus getting access to those southeastern recruits....texas could have some fun.

People forget that is a 2 way street. Outside of Florida and Georgia, Texas is inviting in more trouble into their recruiting grounds than they will recieve

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe they changed the rules AFTER Maryland left.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was not any GOR barriers when Maryland left.
It was an exit fee, but not a GOR.

And Maryland was broke. They were bleeding money thanks to incompetent management.
It was a blatant cash grab to prevent the program from going under completely.

Most MD folks were against the move because it was so awkward and embarrassing how it went down.
The only reason they left was for CASH and nothing else.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes indeed.

and that's why I've always been keen to keep the Big12. We just dont fit anywhere else.

But, I'm betting Texas is going to have to make a choice in the future about where it wants to call home.

mexican-futbol-soccer-fan-photo-by-monte-isom1.jpg

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU is a must for me as a football fan. Solid program to have in a conference that really could use it. Not too thrilled about the other two, but I kind of like the idea of the Big12 entering Ohio.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're in the process of forming the OU & Friends conference. We will have:
Oklahoma
Alabama
Florida St
Ohio St
USC
Notre Dame

Those teams will make up the MASTERS division. Every other P5 team will make up the BITCHES division. The Masters Division only plays one division opponent per year. The rest of the schedule is made up of teams rotated from the Bitches Division with FCS teams sprinkled about just because.

sjjXFq.gif

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe they changed the rules AFTER Maryland left.
That would be incorrect. However, Maryland did successfully negotiate a lower fee ($31.4 million) than the $52.2 million they were supposed to pay.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People forget that is a 2 way street. Outside of Florida and Georgia, Texas is inviting in more trouble into their recruiting grounds than they will recieve
We're going to r*pe your state like a Baylor Bear anyway so that argument is moot. aTm let us in the door now we are raiding the fridge on a regular basis

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love this but all it will do is create more 16 school conferences. The SEC isn't going to let a Virgina and NC school get away and neither is the Big 10.

I do think a aTm and VT rivalry would be pretty cool and definitely need to be permanent cross rivals if it ever happened (but won't).

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're in the process of forming the OU & Friends conference. We will have:
Oklahoma
Alabama
Florida St
Ohio St
USC
Notre Dame

Those teams will make up the MASTERS division. Every other P5 team will make up the BITCHES division. The Masters Division only plays one division opponent per year. The rest of the schedule is made up of teams rotated from the Bitches Division with FCS teams sprinkled about just because.

View attachment 128247
Hope yall don't draw Clemson from that other division....hi5.gif