• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Better Worse or Same ??

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I though I see how everyone felt about the teams position groups going into this season compared to last year, and see where we have gotten better or worse or stayed about the same.

Offense:

QB: <Better> Another year of growth for Kaep and more experience should only benefit our franchise QB.

RB: <Same> I was inclined to go with Better but I have to see Hyde go up against some 1st string D's in real games, that being said he looks very good so far and Gore while being another year older has shown he is not one to be written off. The loss of Hunter hurts our depth but overall I think we will be ok.

WR: <Better> Easily our biggest improvement this year has been to the WR Corp, Crabs is healthy and Boldin is reliable and tough, throw in some good veteran depth with Loyd and 2 promising youngsters in Ellington and Patton, I get giddy just thinking about it.

TE: <Better> VD is still gonna be our deep threat guy and make big plays, but I'm really excited to see Vance step up and really come into his own this season he has looked great in pre season.

O Line: <Worse> What was once the staple of this team's offense is set to go through a big change in the middle, Hopefully Killgore is up to the task but there will no doubt be some growing pains thankfully it looks like the other four spots will be manned by the same great players we have been used to seeing for the past few years.

Deffense:

D Line: <Better> The loss of Dorsey hurts, but Ian Williams should be able to step right in and provide a stout presence at NT throw in a healthy J. Smith and much better depth across the board and I see teams struggling to run against us.

Linebackers: <Worse> Not hard to see we will be hurting with the loss of Bowman and Smith, replacing two all pro caliber players is not an easy feat. I think the OLB by committee with Skuta and Lemonade will be serviceable but Fangio is gonna have to come up with some creative ways to bring pressure this season. In the middle we still have an all time great in Willis and Whilhoite has shown he can come in provide solid play but Bowman is just on another level.

CB: <Better> Yes we lost 2 veterans in Brown and Rogers, but Brock and Cully are both younger and much more explosive players and should provide an upgrade to our secondary. I also like our depth much more this season with Ward in the slot and some good looking rookies from our draft class I see our pass defense improving.

Safety: <Better> Reid came in and kind of took us by storm last season, now in his second year I expect him to become even better and one of the top safety's in the NFL, Bethea is a savy veteran who should be an upgrade over Whitner in terms of coverage and the penalty problems Whitner had. Health and depth is my biggest concern at the Safety position seeing as the drop off from starters to backups is extreme.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I though I see how everyone felt about the teams position groups going into this season compared to last year, and see where we have gotten better or worse or stayed about the same.

Offense:

QB: <Better> Another year of growth for Kaep and more experience should only benefit our franchise QB.

RB: <Same> I was inclined to go with Better but I have to see Hyde go up against some 1st string D's in real games, that being said he looks very good so far and Gore while being another year older has shown he is not one to be written off. The loss of Hunter hurts our depth but overall I think we will be ok.

WR: <Better> Easily our biggest improvement this year has been to the WR Corp, Crabs is healthy and Boldin is reliable and tough, throw in some good veteran depth with Loyd and 2 promising youngsters in Ellington and Patton, I get giddy just thinking about it.

TE: <Better> VD is still gonna be our deep threat guy and make big plays, but I'm really excited to see Vance step up and really come into his own this season he has looked great in pre season.

O Line: <Worse> What was once the staple of this team's offense is set to go through a big change in the middle, Hopefully Killgore is up to the task but there will no doubt be some growing pains thankfully it looks like the other four spots will be manned by the same great players we have been used to seeing for the past few years.

Deffense:

D Line: <Better> The loss of Dorsey hurts, but Ian Williams should be able to step right in and provide a stout presence at NT throw in a healthy J. Smith and much better depth across the board and I see teams struggling to run against us.

Linebackers: <Worse> Not hard to see we will be hurting with the loss of Bowman and Smith, replacing two all pro caliber players is not an easy feat. I think the OLB by committee with Skuta and Lemonade will be serviceable but Fangio is gonna have to come up with some creative ways to bring pressure this season. In the middle we still have an all time great in Willis and Whilhoite has shown he can come in provide solid play but Bowman is just on another level.

CB: <Better> Yes we lost 2 veterans in Brown and Rogers, but Brock and Cully are both younger and much more explosive players and should provide an upgrade to our secondary. I also like our depth much more this season with Ward in the slot and some good looking rookies from our draft class I see our pass defense improving.

Safety: <Better> Reid came in and kind of took us by storm last season, now in his second year I expect him to become even better and one of the top safety's in the NFL, Bethea is a savy veteran who should be an upgrade over Whitner in terms of coverage and the penalty problems Whitner had. Health and depth is my biggest concern at the Safety position seeing as the drop off from starters to backups is extreme.
IMO this:
Offense:
QB:Same. Nothing Kap has done in the preseason or practice would make me think he has become better at reading defenses and not staring down his target.
RB: Better. Hyde will put out 500 yards or more and give Gore the rest he really needs at this stage in his career.
WR: Better. No excuses for Kap this season. The 9ers have the best WR corp since the late 80s
TE: Same: Vernon and Vance will be needed more for short routes and a heavy dose of blocking if the 9ers want to open up a real passing game and more importantly the running game.
OL: Worse: The Boone hold-out didn't help and the depth isn't really there...not to mention Iupati's issues in the preseason
Defense:
DL: Worse: concerns when Ray Mac is under a possible suspension and J Smith shouldn't really have to play every down.Hoping Tank and TJE can step up here.
LB: Worse: Aldon and Bowman out for half the season..enough said.
CB: Better: Ward is the real deal and will prove his worth.
S:Better: Reid has a season under his belt and Bethea has been cleared to play
ST: Better: Not sure how good Nelson will be at LS but I like having Hyde and Ellington as potential KR/PRs. Still not sure why Cox is still listed there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better, worse, same...

for a second I thought this was an on line eye exam.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB - Unsure about right now. Don't put much in preseason and he played sparingly regardless. Last year he struggled but little was there after Boldin and Davis.

Oline - Struggled during preseason and might struggle early on until everyone is back and playng together. Barring injury I think they will be the same or maybe a bit better. Goodwin wasn't very good and Kilgore may end up being an upgrade.

Corners - The same or worse. Brock played well last season and it should continue. Not sure how good Culliver will be. Brown was a steady and reliable corner last year. We will see if Ward ends up being an upgrade over Rogers at the slot.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me....it only gets worse..the eyes I mean.:whistle:

My eyesight has barley changed over the last 20 years. Which is kinda nice.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Offense:

Deffense:

I would agree with on all accounts except QB, D-Line, CBs.

The player scouting reports on Kaep remain consistent, if you can keep him in the pocket the hers become one dimensional. I believe it when I see an improvement, but as of now it's the same. I don't care how improved our WRs are, if he cannot go through his progressions you only need two WRs. SAME

Our D-Line was very consistent last year because we had depth to rotate guys in. I also think Williams has a physical hill to climb before we can even talk about effectiveness. Depth is depleted, more work for Justin Smith who is aging and many unknowns that need to step up. WORSE

Culliver was getting torched at the end of 2012/13. Now off an ACL I'll need to see it to believe it. I like Tremaine Brock, but he was around last year. Nickel/Dime situations should be interesting. If we run a lot of those packages, I might be inclined to say worse, but for now, SAME.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO this:
Offense:
QB:Same. Nothing Kap has done in the preseason or practice would make me think he has become better at reading defenses and not staring down his target.
RB: Better. Hyde will put out 500 yards or more and give Gore the rest he really needs at this stage in his career.
WR: Better. No excuses for Kap this season. The 9ers have the best WR corp since the late 80s
TE: Same: Vernon and Vance will be needed more for short routes and a heavy dose of blocking if the 9ers want to open up a real passing game and more importantly the running game.
OL: Worse: The Boone hold-out didn't help and the depth isn't really there...not to mention Iupati's issues in the preseason
Defense:
DL: Worse: concerns when Ray Mac is under a possible suspension and J Smith shouldn't really have to play every down.Hoping Tank and TJE can step up here.
LB: Worse: Aldon and Bowman out for half the season..enough said.
CB: Better: Ward is the real deal and will prove his worth.
S:Better: Reid has a season under his belt and Bethea has been cleared to play
ST: Better: Not sure how good Nelson will be at LS but I like having Hyde and Ellington as potential KR/PRs. Still not sure why Cox is still listed there.

I'm with the above, especially the part on Kaep under WR.

well.......guess the OL could REALLY fall apart on pass pro? but barring a collapse, he has to show improvement in pocket passing. pocket passing is just the way of the NFL, more so because they'll 'crackdown' on defensive 'holding'.