• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best & Worst Individual Picks in the Draft

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand many feeling this way because Williams is definitely a talent. And in a few years we will see how this all plays out. Best case, both players have great careers giving value to both their franchises.

But I'm all right with Scherff @5 and here is why.

Our GM, Scot Mcloughan did NOT have Williams rated in his top 3 choice on his big board. He had Fowler, Amari and Scherff in that order.

The way the draft played out, both Fowler and Cooper were gone, he stuck to his board and went with Scherff, who will have great value in DC for hopefully many years and will start and contribute to an Oline that has been a human turnstile on the right side. Any QB the Redskins go with have to have protection first and foremost to have any chance to be competitive.

Also he will be started as a RT not Guard which mitigates the 'reach' argument a bit for those who are insistent that 5 is way to high to draft a 'guard'.

From what I understand, the Jets would have taken Scherff at 6 if he had been on the board, so even a possible trade back that was rumored to be possible with ATlanta would have been moot (and that rumor mostly circled around Fowler who was gone already anyway)

Scot has his own talent evaluation method and he has a solid track record of identifying The right talent and fit for a team. The goal for the draft was to get BIG, nasty, productive, consistent football players.

I think he succeeded in Scherff.

As a last point there were some stories of shoulder and labrum issues with Williams as well as a possible concern with consistency and not always showing up on some plays. Do t know whether that played into Scots evaluation but those criticisms were out there before the draft from some reputable peeps.

well, Cowboys showed by going OL first round two years in a row, is a smart move. Football teams built to win championships are built from the inside out- key is hope you got the right OL pick. Only way we'll see that is wait a year or two. Cowboys were hammered pretty hard on their first one, but by the time the second year rolled around and they picked another one, people were on board.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, Cowboys showed by going OL first round two years in a row, is a smart move. Football teams built to win championships are built from the inside out- key is hope you got the right OL pick. Only way we'll see that is wait a year or two. Cowboys were hammered pretty hard on their first one, but by the time the second year rolled around and they picked another one, people were on board.
:agree:

Most skins fans are on board. Our history with the Hogs predisposes us to adore smash ball football and nasty play in the trenches. None of us forget that we are the ONLY team to have ever won 3 SBs with 3 different QBs under Gibbs. Our Oline was a huge part of why.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Redskins passing on him at #5 was the single worst pick of the draft.

...for a RT no less. Earliest we have seen a player drafted to play RT since Mike Williams went 4th overall over a decade ago.

Best individual value picks:
#32 Malcom Brown -- The NFL just continues to undervalue 2 down DT IMO.
#60 Randy Gregory -- Great talent that late in the draft.

Picks I loved:
#10 Todd Gurley --- This draft would have looked a lot different had Gurley never got hurt. The Ram's do a great job of not overthinking the draft and just taking the best guy most of the time. A perfect case in point. If Gurley never gets hurt IMO he's a top 5 pick and IMO probably the best RB to enter the draft since 2008.
#36 TJ Yeldon --- Another case of not overthinking it. They could have waited till the 3rd and just took the best RB left....but instead they go early so that they get the guy they want. Going to be a better pro than he was a college player.
#55 Maxx Williams --- Best TE in the class and a guy with AMAZING ball skills all the way back in the late 2nd. Ozzie is the best 2nd and 3rd round drafter in the NFL and he actually has been a little unlucky. Consistently comes away with prospects with above average starter potential in spots where few of those prospects remain.

Team who I felt did the best:
My Vikings of course! (Big homer) --- Did a great job of giving Zimmer everything he could have asked for and more on defense and were still able to add some really interesting offensive potential later in the draft.

Team who I felt did the worst -
Cleveland. All the extra picks and Cleveland once again didn't do a damn thing to improve their offense. It really is mind boggling. How does their team hope to develop a young QB without any offensive talent?!?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say value wise Michael Bennett in the 6th round by Jacksonville was just impressive. I had him with a 2nd round grade. He is very inconsistent in his play which is why I think he dropped but the upside with the kid if somebody can keep a fire lit under him is huge. I also liked the Jordan Phillips to Miami pick. The kid has the potential to be a 1st round talent and now getting paired with Suh this kid should have every opportunity to shine. That DL in Miami is going to have some quarterbacks having nightmares. I'm excited to see them light up Tom Brady twice a year.

Shaq Thompson was my biggest reach in the 1st. The guy just really doesn't have a position. He is a playmaker don't get me wrong but I just don't see a real fit for him. I'm definitely interested to see how Carolina decides to use him. Mario Edwards at the top of the 2nd was another. His play on the field for Florida State was probably closer to a 5th round type pick. His upside is the only reason he got drafted where he did. I just don't see him being the type though that disciplines himself to live up to where he was drafted. He only got in shape right before the draft. He seems like the type that won't show up for 3 years then right before his contract year will all of a sudden go work his tail off have a great year get a 2nd big contract then put on 30 lbs.

As for just my Broncos probably my favorite pick was Max Garcia. This was one of the few at the Senior Bowl that wowed scouts with his ability to hold up one on one with guys like Shelton and Carl Davis. He is a big time fighter that gives his all every single play. Throw in he didn't give up a single sack in 2 years with Florida. Sounds like a perfect fit for the middle of the Broncos OL to protect Peyton. Least favorite was probably how we used our 3 picks in a row in the 7th. I don't think a single one of them makes our roster. There were still some quality defensive players that I thought stood a better chance to make the team.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...for a RT no less. Earliest we have seen a player drafted to play RT since Mike Williams went 4th overall over a decade ago.

Picks I loved:
#10 Todd Gurley --- This draft would have looked a lot different had Gurley never got hurt. The Ram's do a great job of not overthinking the draft and just taking the best guy most of the time. A perfect case in point. If Gurley never gets hurt IMO he's a top 5 pick and IMO probably the best RB to enter the draft since 2008.
#36 TJ Yeldon --- Another case of not overthinking it. They could have waited till the 3rd and just took the best RB left....but instead they go early so that they get the guy they want. Going to be a better pro than he was a college player.
#55 Maxx Williams --- Best TE in the class and a guy with AMAZING ball skills all the way back in the late 2nd. Ozzie is the best 2nd and 3rd round drafter in the NFL and he actually has been a little unlucky. Consistently comes away with prospects with above average starter potential in spots where few of those prospects remain.

Team who I felt did the best:
My Vikings of course! (Big homer) --- Did a great job of giving Zimmer everything he could have asked for and more on defense and were still able to add some really interesting offensive potential later in the draft.

Cleveland. All the extra picks and Cleveland once again didn't do a damn thing to improve their offense. It really is mind boggling. How does their team hope to develop a young QB without any offensive talent?!?

Gurley to me was too high considering he's probably not going to factor a great deal this season, but I'm a Gurley fan and was happy to see go 1st round and as high as he did...runs a little high for the pro game imo, but he's a stud.

Yeldon...I agree...I like his body type...better pass catching than most Bama Rbs...imo will be a better pro as well.

Browns...even when they try to play it smart they figure a way to get less than they should...I like both picks though even though I would not have taken Erving...Shelton and Taylor inside looks great on paper, but Paul Kruger is the best established edge rusher they have....idk. We'll have to see.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq Thompson was my biggest reach in the 1st.

It was awkward watching Thomas Davis have to announce the pick of the guy who the Panthers feel is going to replace him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was awkward watching Thomas Davis have to announce the pick of the guy who the Panthers feel is going to replace him.

Yeah that didn't help. the guy is being recognized for being an inspiration off the field and then announces how his team actually feels about him moving forward. One of those good guys finish last moments.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Leonard Williams dropping to the Jets at #6? I though that was a great pickup.

Yeah that was a sick pick for the Jets..

The strangest pick for the Patriots was burning a 5th round pick for a long snapper... Like they couldn't find another better player in any of the other positions??

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that was a sick pick for the Jets..

The strangest pick for the Patriots was burning a 5th round pick for a long snapper... Like they couldn't find another better player in any of the other positions??

The DL's in the AFC East look pretty darn stacked now. The Bills already had one of the top-3 or so along with the Jets then you add guys like Suh/Phillips for the Dolphins, Malcom Brown for the Patriots, and Williams to the Jets DL and man they are going to make life hell for quarterbacks.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a thought about Williams

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts on the Jets pick. The Raiders and Jaguars also had a need for interior D-line and passed on Williams why are the Redskins the only ones getting shit for their decision? . Leonard has a couple red flags he is very slow coming out of his stance its correctable but still an issue and he isn't fully recovered from the shoulder surgery he had during the off season. The Jets also have Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson both top 10 DT's so the pick didn't fill a need. Why not take Vic Beasley the best pass rushing prospect in the draft? The best pick in the draft should have value and fill a need imo.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cleveland.
All the extra picks and Cleveland once again didn't do a damn thing to improve their offense. It really is mind boggling. How does their team hope to develop a young QB without any offensive talent?!?

I disagree totally. They had a lot of needs and took best players. I think they may have had the best draft.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts on the Jets pick. The Raiders and Jaguars also had a need for interior D-line and passed on Williams why are the Redskins the only ones getting shit for their decision? . Leonard has a couple red flags he is very slow coming out of his stance its correctable but still an issue and he isn't fully recovered from the shoulder surgery he had during the off season. The Jets also have Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson both top 10 DT's so the pick didn't fill a need. Why not take Vic Beasley the best pass rushing prospect in the draft? The best pick in the draft should have value and fill a need imo.
It is interesting that the same people that were talking about Jadveon Clowney being the bust last year (after injury) are now saying that teams are fools for not going "all in" on Williams with the shoulder injury.
Shoulders are always career threatening injuries. He may be fine but we could be talking about Williams again in a few months. Hypocrites!

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could see it just like I could see about 50 other rookies stand a chance. My personal favorite actually is that of David Johnson RB for Arizona. They vastly improved the OL, will want to take the heat off of the defense and Palmer, and Johnson in my opinion steps in day 1 being the starter for them.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated Hicks to the Eagles in the 3rd. Not only was it a reach... it was a position they are stacked at with Demeco Ryans, Kiki Alonso and Mychael Kendricks. Even if he turns out to be good he won't play not to mention they now have 7 ILB's.

Anyone see the link with MJD saying Byron Jones was by the worst. He said the only good game tape the could find was special teams play and jumping 12 feet means nothing. I never saw him play so I don't know.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm biased, but I think Malcom Brown at #32 has to be among the best.
I think he's the best candidate - looks like a great fit for the Pats.

I think Owamagbe Odighizuwa (#43 to Browns) has a lot of upside.

*OP should have added a category for one's team: Shaq Thompson (as surprised as I was when CAR took him, I can see the logic now).

Potential busts: Mariota, Andrus Peat, I agree Agholor was a stretch.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJ Yeldon to the Jags. He's going to be a workhorse for them.