• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best & Worst Individual Picks in the Draft

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Who are some individual picks over which you think GMs will be smiling or kicking themselves 3 years from now?

Best: Leonard Davis, Eddie Goldman, PJ Williams, Sean Mannion, Bryce Petty, Carl Davis, Devin Smith, Clive Walford, Sammie Coates, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Adrian Amos, Todd Gurley

Worst: Jameis Winston, Danny Shelton, Nelson Agholor (at 20??).

My bust pick this year's gonna be too easy...

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Leonard Williams dropping to the Jets at #6? I though that was a great pickup.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm biased, but I think Malcom Brown at #32 has to be among the best.

Off top of my head, liked: Gurley/Rams, Tyler Lockett/Seahawks, L.Williams/Jets, Bernardrick McKinney, Jalen Strong/Texans, R.Gregory/Cowboys, Cooper/Raiders

doubts: J.Winston/Tampa, Darby, K.Williams/Bills, Armistad/49rs, Clark/Seahawks, Peat/NO

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite picks
Pick 204 Bal WR Darren Waller raw 6' 6" 240 lbs 4.46 with good hands
Pick 192 SD DT Darius Philon hes got good motor and technique kid hits the weight room and he could be a monster in a year or two
Pick 137 ATL DT Grady Jarrett Geno Atkins clone
Pick 110 Min RT TJ Clemmings fell because of a foot injury possible starting LT upside
Pick 99 Cin LB Paul Dawson tested poorly at the combine but he's a play maker best ILB in this draft

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorites were Jaelen Strong in the 3rd round to Houston and Ifo Ekpre-Olomu in the 7th to Cleveland. Both have 1st round skillsets and for one reason or another dropped to their respective teams, and both will be excellent long-term starters.

My least favorites were Jameis Winston 1st to Tampa Bay and Jordan Richards in the 2nd rd to NE. Jameis is wildy immature, and his r*pe allegations had a lot of smoke and reek of a cover-up. Guys like this rarely ever genuinely change, and I could see him out of the NFL in 4 years. Richards is the exact opposite from a character perspective as Winston, but he was IMO the biggest reach in the draft this year. He was a late round pick/UDFA on most boards. They could've had him several rounds later.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are some individual picks over which you think GMs will be smiling or kicking themselves 3 years from now?

Best: Leonard Davis, Eddie Goldman, PJ Williams, Sean Mannion, Bryce Petty, Carl Davis, Devin Smith, Clive Walford, Sammie Coates, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Adrian Amos, Todd Gurley

Worst: Jameis Winston, Danny Shelton, Nelson Agholor (at 20??).

My bust pick this year's gonna be too easy...
Bud Dupree was a great pick by the steelers. Agholor could fit the chip kelly system very well but I'm not sure about using a 1st rd pick i could go either way on that. Winston is my pick for bust too tho

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best - Williams at 6
Worst - Arik Armstead

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best: Landon Collins to the Giants to start Day Two. Eric Rowe. Kevin White.

Worst: Scherff (Williams is a guy they need, IMO).

Home team favorites: O'Leary, Miller and Darby (even though I was staring down Rowe until Chip Kelly put an end to that)

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorites were Jaelen Strong in the 3rd round to Houston and Ifo Ekpre-Olomu in the 7th to Cleveland. Both have 1st round skillsets and for one reason or another dropped to their respective teams, and both will be excellent long-term starters.

My least favorites were Jameis Winston 1st to Tampa Bay and Jordan Richards in the 2nd rd to NE. Jameis is wildy immature, and his r*pe allegations had a lot of smoke and reek of a cover-up. Guys like this rarely ever genuinely change, and I could see him out of the NFL in 4 years. Richards is the exact opposite from a character perspective as Winston, but he was IMO the biggest reach in the draft this year. He was a late round pick/UDFA on most boards. They could've had him several rounds later.
Very little to disagree with in your post. I would have loved to have gotten Jaelen Strong. As far as Jordan Richards, when he is crashing the QB's party this year, people might rate him higher.

Patriots took a lot of grief picking a long snapper in the 6th. Maybe the writers were tired but I read 2 of them that said he would never be anything but a special teamer. No shit?

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm biased, but I think Malcom Brown at #32 has to be among the best.

Off top of my head, liked: Gurley/Rams, Tyler Lockett/Seahawks, L.Williams/Jets, Bernardrick McKinney, Jalen Strong/Texans, R.Gregory/Cowboys, Cooper/Raiders

doubts: J.Winston/Tampa, Darby, K.Williams/Bills, Armistad/49rs, Clark/Seahawks, Peat/NO

:agree:
He'll fill a serious need.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking it easy on myself...I'll just go 1st rd picks.

Best...Beasley to ATL...perfect storm in terms of need meeting BPA.

Worst...Mariota to TN...nothing against the kid...he could turn out to be a good QB, but being fair to Mariota, the expectation for a competitive team now is '16 maybe '17. TN needs to get better on DEF and could've gotten the best player in the draft (by many accounts) in Williams or they could've traded down and gotten more picks and taken a Mannion a little later in the draft to give Mettenberger some competition. I think they blew an opportunity to stay on a even keel development wise with the Jags.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Redskins passing on him at #5 was the single worst pick of the draft.

Or non pick...lol

Easy to say that, because they could've gotten a WR at the top of the 2nd....this really depends on the play of Mario Edwards...if he turns out to be a legit player...him and Cooper 1-2 could be viewed as a win-win.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Redskins passing on him at #5 was the single worst pick of the draft.
I can understand many feeling this way because Williams is definitely a talent. And in a few years we will see how this all plays out. Best case, both players have great careers giving value to both their franchises.

But I'm all right with Scherff @5 and here is why.

Our GM, Scot Mcloughan did NOT have Williams rated in his top 3 choice on his big board. He had Fowler, Amari and Scherff in that order.

The way the draft played out, both Fowler and Cooper were gone, he stuck to his board and went with Scherff, who will have great value in DC for hopefully many years and will start and contribute to an Oline that has been a human turnstile on the right side. Any QB the Redskins go with have to have protection first and foremost to have any chance to be competitive.

Also he will be started as a RT not Guard which mitigates the 'reach' argument a bit for those who are insistent that 5 is way to high to draft a 'guard'.

From what I understand, the Jets would have taken Scherff at 6 if he had been on the board, so even a possible trade back that was rumored to be possible with ATlanta would have been moot (and that rumor mostly circled around Fowler who was gone already anyway)

Scot has his own talent evaluation method and he has a solid track record of identifying The right talent and fit for a team. The goal for the draft was to get BIG, nasty, productive, consistent football players.

I think he succeeded in Scherff.

As a last point there were some stories of shoulder and labrum issues with Williams as well as a possible concern with consistency and not always showing up on some plays. Do t know whether that played into Scots evaluation but those criticisms were out there before the draft from some reputable peeps.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or non pick...lol

Easy to say that, because they could've gotten a WR at the top of the 2nd....this really depends on the play of Mario Edwards...if he turns out to be a legit player...him and Cooper 1-2 could be viewed as a win-win.

I'm no draft expert, but many seemed to be saying that Williams was the best player in the draft. It was basically understood that the 2 QBs would go 1-2 and the Raiders were basically sold on Cooper, so Jacksonville or Washington were the ones who people thought Williams would go to. Sounds like the Jets got a pretty damn good deal at #6.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand many feeling this way because Williams is definitely a talent. And in a few years we will see how this all plays out. Best case, both players have great careers giving value to both their franchises.

But I'm all right with Scherff @5 and here is why.

Our GM, Scot Mcloughan did NOT have Williams rated in his top 3 choice on his big board. He had Fowler, Amari and Scherff in that order.

The way the draft played out, both Fowler and Cooper were gone, he stuck to his board and went with Scherff, who will have great value in DC for hopefully many years and will start and contribute to an Oline that has been a human turnstile on the right side. Any QB the Redskins go with have to have protection first and foremost to have any chance to be competitive.

Also he will be started as a RT not Guard which mitigates the 'reach' argument a bit for those who are insistent that 5 is way to high to draft a 'guard'.

From what I understand, the Jets would have taken Scherff at 6 if he had been on the board, so even a possible trade back that was rumored to be possible with ATlanta would have been moot (and that rumor mostly circled around Fowler who was gone already anyway)

Scot has his own talent evaluation method and he has a solid track record of identifying The right talent and fit for a team. The goal for the draft was to get BIG, nasty, productive, consistent football players.

I think he succeeded in Scherff.

As a last point there were some stories of shoulder and labrum issues with Williams as well as a possible concern with consistency and not always showing up on some plays. Do t know whether that played into Scots evaluation but those criticisms were out there before the draft from some reputable peeps.

Yeah, all we have right now are "on paper" projections, which really don't mean just a whole lot. Offensive linemen tend to pan out a lot better than basically any other position in the draft, so Washington probably got a guy that will have a nice long career for them (injuries not withstanding).

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, all we have right now are "on paper" projections, which really don't mean just a whole lot. Offensive linemen tend to pan out a lot better than basically any other position in the draft, so Washington probably got a guy that will have a nice long career for them (injuries not withstanding).
Exactly. And with so many holes all over my team, I'm thrilled with the Meat and potatoes draft we had.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Th
How about Leonard Williams dropping to the Jets at #6? I though that was a great pickup.

These.

Mariota will go down as a muuuuch bigger bust than Locker at #8. If the Chargers hadnt traded up, I'd say Melvin Gordon was the second-best pick.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no draft expert, but many seemed to be saying that Williams was the best player in the draft. It was basically understood that the 2 QBs would go 1-2 and the Raiders were basically sold on Cooper, so Jacksonville or Washington were the ones who people thought Williams would go to. Sounds like the Jets got a pretty damn good deal at #6.

Me either...I think in the minds of some scouts, he best projects as an interior DL guy and that can be though to quantify into production at the NFL level...if he were a edge guy like a Clowney...chances are he doesn't get past TN.

The Jets were already stout against the run LY...they really need that edge guy, but adding him to the mix can only help.