• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best roster of coaches in the B1G?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Jim Harbaugh is the fourth or fifth best coach in the conference, you know you aren't pretty solid.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meyer- Great Coach
Harbaugh - Done nothing yet
Dantonio - Good coach/Great coach doesn't let his team implode
Franklin - 1 good year, see Harbaugh.
Fickell - 1 terrible year at OSU
Mendenhall - WTF did he ever do.
Minnesota - Fleck is reported to be having a good recruiting year, so the fuck what.

I cant even remember the rest they are that bad.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meyer- Great Coach
Minnesota - Fleck is reported to be having a good recruiting year, so the fuck what.

Hey...
We have a coach too!!

I think.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah
I should have remembered whats his face.
He had a good year.

Not Bo Pelini type year but good none the less

But seriously.
I haven't seen so much up side for a team that lost a 4 year starter than Nebraska does this year.
Armstrong was terrible.
You have nowhere to go but up, if whats his face knows what he's doing.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Jim Harbaugh is the fourth or fifth best coach in the conference, you know you are pretty solid.
Just noticed my phone autocorrected me. Fixed it.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In reading the article and in going through each conference, it seems there are some good "possible" ones on the upswing in several leagues. But the jury is really still out on several of them.

Don't see how any conference can claim a whole bunch of studs....yet. IMHO some of the better coaches are at places where recruiting is more difficult so the results don't show it, i.e. Bill Snyder. Just being competitive and in the hunt year in and year out at a place like K-State is equivalent to winning a conference championship at a place like USC. Again, JMO. And how many guys are at places similar and also do a good job.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meyer- Great Coach

You keep telling yourself that. There are maybe a dozen coaches in America that I'd take over our "bad" coach.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep telling yourself that. There are maybe a dozen coaches in America that I'd take over our "bad" coach.

Chryst might be the best one out of them all in time.
I like him.

Reactions: GNG

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chryst might be the best one out of them all in time.
I like him.
This exactly. I think the same can be said for coaches like the guy at Colorado, Va Tech, etc. Just too small of a sample size to make a call yet.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In reading the article and in going through each conference, it seems there are some good "possible" ones on the upswing in several leagues. But the jury is really still out on several of them.

Don't see how any conference can claim a whole bunch of studs....yet. IMHO some of the better coaches are at places where recruiting is more difficult so the results don't show it, i.e. Bill Snyder. Just being competitive and in the hunt year in and year out at a place like K-State is equivalent to winning a conference championship at a place like USC. Again, JMO. And how many guys are at places similar and also do a good job.
I would say what Dantonio has been doing at Michigan State is on par with Snyder at K-State.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This exactly. I think the same can be said for coaches like the guy at Colorado, Va Tech, etc. Just too small of a sample size to make a call yet.

If Bob Stoops retired tomorrow, Chryst would be at the top of my list.
Him and Justin Fuente at VT

Reactions: GNG

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bob Stoops retired tomorrow, Chryst would be at the top of my list.
Him and Justin Fuente at VT
LKORg8Y.jpg

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah
I'm talking about guys that we could actually get.
I don't think Peterson is going anywhere.
Saban, Meyer, Dabo, Jimbo, those guys won't move.

But up and coming coaches. There are a few and the BIG has some.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah
I'm talking about guys that we could actually get.
I don't think Peterson is going anywhere.
Saban, Meyer, Dabo, Jimbo, those guys won't move.

But up and coming coaches. There are a few and the BIG has some.
I should have read it better. Fuentes for sure.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say what Dantonio has been doing at Michigan State is on par with Snyder at K-State.
Might even be a little better....at least lately. He's got several CCs lately. Been a several years since K-State got one but Snyder was out for a while. Dantonio has more recent success.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might even be a little better....at least lately. He's got several CCs lately. Been a several years since K-State got one but Snyder was out for a while. Dantonio has more recent success.
Snyder has been there forever and Dantonio is going into year 11 and the program is in complete turmoil right now. This might bring the team together and bring back the us against the world mentality but I would be shocked to see them win more than 8 games this season. I don't see Dantonio coaching here more than 3-5 years from now and with what's going on in East Lansing, it will only hasten it.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty hard to argue that the B1G has the best coaches in the nation after this year. The only question now is, what's the conference pecking order?

1. Urban Meyer (OSU) - still king of the conference, killing it in recruiting, and remains the only coach in the conference with a national title
2. James Franklin (PSU) - barely over Chryst, but he has taken Penn State from mediocre to nationally elite in back-to-back years, recruiting fantastic
3. Paul Chryst (Wisconsin) - has Wisconsin on a great trajectory with 34 wins in the last 3 years and seems to have a great base of young talent
4. Mark Dantonio (MSU) - rebounded in a big way and looks to have righted the ship after 1 horrible year, 10+ wins in 4 of last 5 years
5. Pat Fitzgerald (Northwestern) - 10 wins in 2 of the last 3 years at a school like Northwestern is fantastic, would be a force at a school with a major budget
6. Jeff Brohm (Purdue) - took Purdue from 3-9 to 7-6 and a bowl win in 1 year without a single player I've heard of and has a great overall track record
7. Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) - steady every year, bring Iowa into the top 10 from time to time, but ended 2017 strong with one of the best wins in all of college football this year
8. Jim Harbaugh (michigan) - mostly beating the teams he should but can't beat his rivals, lacks any kind of signature win with top recruiting classes
9. Scott Frost (Nebraska) - only this low because he hasn't coached a game but he should shoot up if 2017 is any indication of what he can do
10. DJ Durkin (Maryland) - was killed with injuries this season but had a great win to start when everyone was healthy, and is recruiting fairly well
11. Chris Ash (Rutgers) - has a long way to go at Rutgers, but had a 2 game improvement this year and could possibly continue to climb with continuity
12. PJ Fleck (Minnesota) - took a very concerning step back this year from 9-4 in 2016, finishing 5-7 this season, but still has some momentum
13. Tom Allen (Indiana) - 3 straight years of no improvement at Indiana, missing a bowl this year for the first time since 2014, not all his fault but has a lot of holes
14. Lovie Smith (Illinois) - how a formerly successful NFL coach can fail this badly on the college level is hard to understand, but they aren't even on the radar right now

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty hard to argue that the B1G has the best coaches in the nation after this year. The only question now is, what's the conference pecking order?

1. Urban Meyer (OSU) - still king of the conference, killing it in recruiting, and remains the only coach in the conference with a national title
2. James Franklin (PSU) - barely over Chryst, but he has taken Penn State from mediocre to nationally elite in back-to-back years, recruiting fantastic
3. Paul Chryst (Wisconsin) - has Wisconsin on a great trajectory with 34 wins in the last 3 years and seems to have a great base of young talent
4. Mark Dantonio (MSU) - rebounded in a big way and looks to have righted the ship after 1 horrible year, 10+ wins in 4 of last 5 years
5. Pat Fitzgerald (Northwestern) - 10 wins in 2 of the last 3 years at a school like Northwestern is fantastic, would be a force at a school with a major budget
6. Jeff Brohm (Purdue) - took Purdue from 3-9 to 7-6 and a bowl win in 1 year without a single player I've heard of and has a great overall track record
7. Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) - steady every year, bring Iowa into the top 10 from time to time, but ended 2017 strong with one of the best wins in all of college football this year
8. Jim Harbaugh (michigan) - mostly beating the teams he should but can't beat his rivals, lacks any kind of signature win with top recruiting classes
9. Scott Frost (Nebraska) - only this low because he hasn't coached a game but he should shoot up if 2017 is any indication of what he can do
10. DJ Durkin (Maryland) - was killed with injuries this season but had a great win to start when everyone was healthy, and is recruiting fairly well
11. Chris Ash (Rutgers) - has a long way to go at Rutgers, but had a 2 game improvement this year and could possibly continue to climb with continuity
12. PJ Fleck (Minnesota) - took a very concerning step back this year from 9-4 in 2016, finishing 5-7 this season, but still has some momentum
13. Tom Allen (Indiana) - 3 straight years of no improvement at Indiana, missing a bowl this year for the first time since 2014, not all his fault but has a lot of holes
14. Lovie Smith (Illinois) - how a formerly successful NFL coach can fail this badly on the college level is hard to understand, but they aren't even on the radar right now

I don't know, we have 3 with National Titles and another one playing for one next Monday.