• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Diss Track of All Time

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you have as your favorite? I'd probably go with "No Vaseline," but "The Takeover," or Jadakiss' "Checkmate" is close as hell. Also, "Drop a Gem on 'Em" is pretty fucking raw.

There are so many overrated diss tracks out there. Don't get me wrong, I love Nas, and would take his side in the beef with Jay and consider him a far better rapper than Jay-Z, but "Ether" is in no way better than Takeover. Not even close to me. Ether just sounded like a bunch of childish jabs and puns. I don't even think it's the best Nas diss- "Don't Body 'Ya Self" or even "Got Ur Self a Gun" are better to me.

"Hit 'Em Up" is also really overrated to me. Pac sounded like a little kid screaming at someone. Again, probably not even Pac's best diss.

"Piggy Bank" by 50 Cent is straight garbage (as is most 50 Cent songs post-Get Rich).

What's your favorite?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Drop a Gem..." is very underrated generally.

I find that "Acknowledge" by Masta Ace is largely forgotten when these discussions come up.

"Paper Plates" is not his best work but The Genius is always genius. It's probably not a coincidence that 50 never fired back.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you have as your favorite? I'd probably go with "No Vaseline," but "The Takeover," or Jadakiss' "Checkmate" is close as hell. Also, "Drop a Gem on 'Em" is pretty fucking raw.

There are so many overrated diss tracks out there. Don't get me wrong, I love Nas, and would take his side in the beef with Jay and consider him a far better rapper than Jay-Z, but "Ether" is in no way better than Takeover. Not even close to me. Ether just sounded like a bunch of childish jabs and puns. I don't even think it's the best Nas diss- "Don't Body 'Ya Self" or even "Got Ur Self a Gun" are better to me.

"Hit 'Em Up" is also really overrated to me. Pac sounded like a little kid screaming at someone. Again, probably not even Pac's best diss.

"Piggy Bank" by 50 Cent is straight garbage (as is most 50 Cent songs post-Get Rich).

What's your favorite?

Checkmate's a great choice.

Hit em up is good IMO until the end when Pac goes on too long of a rant (the track didn't need that).

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hit em up is good IMO until the end when Pac goes on too long of a rant (the track didn't need that).
I agree, that shit at the end of Hit Em Up is almost cringe-worthy, looking back at it now. I don't even think the rest of it is spectacular- Pac's first verse was good, but The Outlawz just generally suck.

I think subliminal disses are sometimes cool too. "Long Kiss Goodnight" and, especially, "The Message" are two of the better ones, IMO. I guess you could count "Drop A Gem on 'Em" as subliminal considering neither Prodigy nor Havoc mention 2Pac's name, but I wouldn't really consider it such when it's so obvious (though I guess the other two were fairly obvious as well).

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remy Ma Another One.
I haven't heard a single song from Remy Ma outside of "Shether" and that stupid-ass "All The Way Up," so I certainly not qualified to give an opinion on her music.

I shall do so anyway- she sucks ass.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Drop a Gem..." is very underrated generally.

I find that "Acknowledge" by Masta Ace is largely forgotten when these discussions come up.

"Paper Plates" is not his best work but The Genius is always genius. It's probably not a coincidence that 50 never fired back.
50 Cent's music has sucked so much since GRODT. I don't think this point is acknowledged quite enough. It's not like he was ever a genius lyricist on GRODT or pre-GRODT, but he at least had a good flow and was amazing at writing (or at least, delivering) hooks. One of the best rappers when it comes to hooks, IMO (I mean, think about how many great hooks he has. Off he top of my head, and there's definitely many more, but, In Da Club, If I Can't, Window Shopper, Patiently Waiting, Ghetto Qu'Ran, Don't Push Me, You Don't Know; and probably my favorite, Outta Control are all fucking awesome).

But his flow has gone to complete shit. I mean, seriously, I started this song at 50's first verse. It literally sounds like he is just reading his lyrics off a piece of paper, and talking them. Ironically, I do like this song somewhat

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who Shot Ya had a good beat as well. Big had some nice lyrics too.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50 Cent's music has sucked so much since GRODT. I don't think this point is acknowledged quite enough. It's not like he was ever a genius lyricist on GRODT or pre-GRODT, but he at least had a good flow and was amazing at writing (or at least, delivering) hooks. One of the best rappers when it comes to hooks, IMO (I mean, think about how many great hooks he has. Off he top of my head, and there's definitely many more, but, In Da Club, If I Can't, Window Shopper, Patiently Waiting, Ghetto Qu'Ran, Don't Push Me, You Don't Know; and probably my favorite, Outta Control are all fucking awesome).

But his flow has gone to complete shit. I mean, seriously, I started this song at 50's first verse. It literally sounds like he is just reading his lyrics off a piece of paper, and talking them. Ironically, I do like this song somewhat

"Got a few hooks but no jabs..." :wink:

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a huge old school 2pac fan, so Hit em up and Bomb First are both way up there.
50's bssst dis track was ON GRODT Back Down was like the killing blow to Ja Rule's career.
Real Motherfuckin G's, Dre Day, and No Vaseline are like the perfect trifecta of traded shots.

But Eminem didn't even have to release an album, just a couple of freestyles called The Sauce and then Nail in the Coffin and he totally destroyed a hip hop institution.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late to the show, wasn't around much Saturday, but I'll agree with every Em joint here and I'll add Girls, Let's Go and The Warning. Shit, throw the fucking 8 Mile freestyle in there too. Generally, when someone pissed Em off you were fucking cooked which is why I believe every half-decent rapper stayed the motherfuck away from it.

I always liked My Bitch by Game. Thought it was pretty clever, especially the hits on Jay. Game overall was good with his attacks but he put out way too much material (ie: 500 Bars) to ever score a killer.

If you want an old school joint, The Bridge is Over is timeless and the fact they used a Billy Joel track at the end is icing on the cake.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was a huge 50 fan. He owned the rap world at what was it's most profitable time, at its most mainstream period. He was the first and probably only guy to get his crew to not only kill it on the initial collab record (Beg for Mercy) but also got them all to put out records that made BANK - Lloyd and Game both put out Billboard #1's, Yayo's hit #2 and Buck's hit #3. I think Beanie Sigel put out a #3 once, the rest of the Roc's guys never even sniffed that high. That era was domination. Fuck with those guys and you were getting buried.

But let's call it for what it was - a 3 year period of fire, powered by 50's personality and image, soundtracked by Dre and Em that tail-ended a magnificent 7 year era in music that started with Em's Slim Shady and Dre's 2001. As you said 50's flow became trash seemingly overnight, other than Game who went off and did his own thing after the beef none of the other G-Unit guys did anything relevant (the only post-2005 tracks I can think of from any of them is Start it Up by Banks and Rider pt. 2), Dre and Em's production values dried up and Dre eventually found more money in headphones than music anyway...

I liked Massacre more than you probably did but not to the point that I think it was a good album. Other than a couple of tracks off Curtis, 50's run at the top consisted of 1 legendary solo album, 1 okay solo album, 1 great group album and a couple of tracks on the 8 Mile soundtrack.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And since we’re talking about disses and 50 and I mentioned the 8 Mile soundtrack, even though 50’s the only one who does any dissing on the track and it’s towards women rather than other rappers (well, Lil Kil and Lauryn Hill are rappers I guess), it’s worth mentioning Love Me just because to me it’s one of the best rap songs ever. Eminem’s verse is utter filth.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late to the show, wasn't around much Saturday, but I'll agree with every Em joint here and I'll add Girls, Let's Go and The Warning. Shit, throw the fucking 8 Mile freestyle in there too. Generally, when someone pissed Em off you were fucking cooked which is why I believe every half-decent rapper stayed the motherfuck away from it.
Yep. When people say that Eminem has never faced a real competition in a beef, that's because every rapper is terrified of dissing him. It took Ja Rule swallowing Ecstasy pills 24/7 to even have the false sense of confidence to diss him, and we all know how that turned out.

When Game released "Uncle Otis" in 2011, which just took (mostly) tongue-in-cheek jabs at fellow contemporary rappers, he didn't mention Eminem. He then did an interview where he said that that's the one dude you don't fuck with.

When Kendrick Lamar mentioned and called out every hot rapper of 2013 (I think 2013?) on "Control," he didn't mention Eminem. (Looking back though, was Mac Miller really considered a hot rapper back then? Jeesh.)

I also find it funny that after Eminem's verses on Renegade were popularized by Nas on "Ether," no OG rapper wanted to rhyme with him. Sure, dudes who were affiliated with him did, but it took until 2009 until "Forever" was released- and we know how that played out.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a huge 50 fan. He owned the rap world at what was it's most profitable time, at its most mainstream period. He was the first and probably only guy to get his crew to not only kill it on the initial collab record (Beg for Mercy) but also got them all to put out records that made BANK - Lloyd and Game both put out Billboard #1's, Yayo's hit #2 and Buck's hit #3. I think Beanie Sigel put out a #3 once, the rest of the Roc's guys never even sniffed that high. That era was domination. Fuck with those guys and you were getting buried.

But let's call it for what it was - a 3 year period of fire, powered by 50's personality and image, soundtracked by Dre and Em that tail-ended a magnificent 7 year era in music that started with Em's Slim Shady and Dre's 2001. As you said 50's flow became trash seemingly overnight, other than Game who went off and did his own thing after the beef none of the other G-Unit guys did anything relevant (the only post-2005 tracks I can think of from any of them is Start it Up by Banks and Rider pt. 2), Dre and Em's production values dried up and Dre eventually found more money in headphones than music anyway...

I liked Massacre more than you probably did but not to the point that I think it was a good album. Other than a couple of tracks off Curtis, 50's run at the top consisted of 1 legendary solo album, 1 okay solo album, 1 great group album and a couple of tracks on the 8 Mile soundtrack.

"Never try to play the hottest one out your camp
He might step off and take half the juice from your amp" :wink:

I'm a little surprised that we have slightly different opinions regarding 50 and his resume/legacy, although I still respect your opinion.

But seriously, Billboard rankings? Is that supposed to mean something to me?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Never try to play the hottest one out your camp
He might step off and take half the juice from your amp" :wink:

I'm a little surprised that we have slightly different opinions regarding 50 and his resume/legacy, although I still respect your opinion.

But seriously, Billboard rankings? Is that supposed to mean something to me?
Not at all in terms of a rapper’s skill. I was using it as a point that he was so powerful in the music industry in general that he was basically the only guy to date to get his minions to the top of the mainstream charts. Unless I’m forgetting someone’s crew nobody else from that era – not Em (D12), not Jay (Bleek, Beanie etc), not Nas (Bravehearts), none of them managed to get their guys the kind of fame and success the G-Unit dudes had for a while. Only guy I can think of that comes close is Puffy with Mase, The Lox, Black Rob, Shyne etc. but because of the fact Puff himself only became a big deal because of BIG I don’t really think that’s the same. 50 managed to do that and I think it deserved recognition.

What can I say though, I liked the whole shtick. Beats were catchy, I’d play those albums in the car and the girls liked it as opposed to when I banged some of the harder shit, it was good party music. While 50's flow was still coherent his lyrics were alright to listen to.

I can’t look it up right now but G Unit also had one of my favourite Rap City freestyle sessions ever.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even close