• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Album of 1979

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.
Wonder what the total number of sales from then until now is, for all the albums mentioned so far.
Which album from 1979 has sold the most over the long run.

I would have to google that.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's what I'm thinking, but I also thought Billy Joel wouldn't have been the #1 selling album for 1979 either.

true. true.

Deal is though 52nd Street could have been released in March and The Wall in November so sales per year aren't really a good criteria. As outofyourmind mentioned what album from 70 has the total most sales, that would be a more reasonable criteria. I know The Wall is roughly 17.1 Million copies.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.
Wonder what the total number of sales from then until now is, for all the albums mentioned so far.

Don't know about 1979 but I believe Michael Jackson's Thriller has sold the most ever, but Dark Side of the Moon was the longest (Top 100) on the charts, 741 consecutive weeks (that's over 14 years) and still has more total sales than The Wall (though because The Wall is a double album each disc is counted as a sale, makes no sense to me). DSOTM was still selling almost 8000 copies a week on it's 30th anniversary. All told DSOTM has been charting the top 200 in sales for 842 weeks and counting.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think Album sales and concert gross might be a good start. Not to mention it's just flat out a much better album.

Justin Beiber sells a lot of albums and does well with concert sales. Hey, he must be pretty good then.

Better album is just an opinion; I say no.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Beiber sells a lot of albums and does well with concert sales. Hey, he must be pretty good then.

Better album is just an opinion; I say no.

1979 Are you not paying attention?

And I am not sure Bieber has any one album that has sold over 17 Million copies, or that anyone will be listening to any Biber album 30+ years later.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I am not sure Bieber has any one album that has sold over 17 Million copies, or that anyone will be listening to any Biber album 30+ years later.

I think what you might be saying is the The Wall is the greatest album of 1979. If so, I would probably agree.

As far as the best goes, once again, that can only be an opinion. I don't think sales - at least in my opinion - has any bearing on whether an album is good or not because obviously (see Justin Beiber comment), that's clearly not always the case.

Jazz fusion albums will never sell more than 100, 000 copies, but can feature sterling musicianship and writing that the "general public" just won't accept. Again though, if you want to argue something better, it's still just your opinion an nothing eles....at least in my opinion. so there. lol

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deal is though 52nd Street could have been released in March and The Wall in November so sales per year aren't really a good criteria. As outofyourmind mentioned what album from 70 has the total most sales, that would be a more reasonable criteria. I know The Wall is roughly 17.1 Million copies.

if you're talking about the decade, then Rumors by Fleetwood Mac has got to be up there

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what you might be saying is the The Wall is the greatest album of 1979. If so, I would probably agree.

As far as the best goes, once again, that can only be an opinion. I don't think sales - at least in my opinion - has any bearing on whether an album is good or not because obviously (see Justin Beiber comment), that's clearly not always the case.

Jazz fusion albums will never sell more than 100, 000 copies, but can feature sterling musicianship and writing that the "general public" just won't accept. Again though, if you want to argue something better, it's still just your opinion an nothing eles....at least in my opinion. so there. lol

The General Public won't accept because for the most part it's boring music, now there are people content with being bored and I am cool with that. But The Wall was a masterpiece, an album that told an entire story, in detail with spectacular music, quality music great lyrical content made this album the greatest. Couple that with sales and concert attendance / sales etc there are a lot of factors that make it the best IMO.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The General Public won't accept because for the most part it's boring music, now there are people content with being bored and I am cool with that. But The Wall was a masterpiece, an album that told an entire story, in detail with spectacular music, quality music great lyrical content made this album the greatest. Couple that with sales and concert attendance / sales etc there are a lot of factors that make it the best IMO.

I find jazz fusion the most exciting stuff (ok, prog too) out there. It is musicians music though, for the most part. Anyways, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :suds:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.

The Wall easily. Then Off The Wall. Very overrated imo. There were a few great tunes. But Animals was the last great Floyd album. Yoga posted a good list. For my tastes it's one of these depending on my mood.

The Clash -- London Calling
Talking Heads -- Fear of Music
Neil Young/Crazy Horse -- Rust Never Sleeps
Elvis Costello -- Armed Forces
B-52's -- B-52's
Police -- Reggatta de Blanc
The Pretenders -- The Pretenders

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,805.48
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also liked....

Joy Division -- Unknown Pleasures
Public Image Limited -- Metal Box
XTC -- Drums and Wires
LKJ -- Forces of Victory
Nick Lowe -- Labor of Lust
Black Uhuru-- Showcase