• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bengals vs. Steelers

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to pile on, but he is 100% correct

Not like this is why y'all lost either. You lost because Dre Kirkpatrick doesn't know how to defend properly.

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lost as soon as the defense showed an all out blitz on the game winning TD. I knew it was going to be the ball game as soon everyone for the Steelers pointed out the blitz. Marvin should have immediately called a time out, or whoever is in charge of the defense on the field should have audibled out of the blitz. There was about 3 seconds between the blitz being shown and the snap of the ball. Plenty of time to either check out of it or call a time out. If just one of the blitzers drops back, that is not a TD.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals job is to make the Steelers look good. they did their job, we should be proud of them.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We lost as soon as the defense showed an all out blitz on the game winning TD. I knew it was going to be the ball game as soon everyone for the Steelers pointed out the blitz. Marvin should have immediately called a time out, or whoever is in charge of the defense on the field should have audibled out of the blitz. There was about 3 seconds between the blitz being shown and the snap of the ball. Plenty of time to either check out of it or call a time out. If just one of the blitzers drops back, that is not a TD.

Roethlisberger hadn't been sacked all day and The Steelers were in FG range.

I don't have an issue with the all out blitz call there

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dude was blocking!

Some of the Bengals players made good points about it in postgame.... They call it sometimes and sometimes they don't. The bigger issue for the Bengals was the inexperience in the game at the end of the game. Not sure if any of those injuries carry forward next week, but if they do the Chiefs might put up 50.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was Marvin and Lazors fault. Defenses can't stop good offenses anymore in this league. The second we got inside the Steelers 35 yard line with 2 timeouts and just under 2 minutes, you start using the middle of the field and if you have to, you use your timeout if time is getting out of control. Instead we throw a 20 yard pass, which I was okay with but then the next play we HURRY to the line of scrimmage, no huddle and throw an out pattern to stop the fn clock with like a 1:20 on the clock. WHY? I was screaming at the TV, you freaking idiots, SLOW DOWN! We had two timeouts, we were inside the 15 yard line, 1:30 on the clock, and we rush to the LOS with no huddle and immediately call a quick out for 10 yards to stop the clock??? WHY?

I know you score when you can, I get that. If the bigger pass play before the screen had wound up being a TD pass, I am okay with that, you score when you can. However, the second it was completed, with 2 TO, you do not rush to the LOS and call an out pattern to stop the clock when Pittsburgh has a history of driving the field in 10 seconds on you. Management was acting like we had no timeouts and there was 10 seconds on the clock.

1:30 on the clock, 2 TO, 1st down inside the 15 yard line.

Take your time, huddle up, call that same out pattern, but take your time. This time on the out pattern you do not run out of bounds, you fall down in bounds and keep the clock running. The clock starts getting inside 30 seconds and you are not in the end zone on the next play, then you call your time out.

If Pittsburgh is forced to start taking their timeouts, so be it, that is the way the cookie crumbles, but you leave them no timeouts.

That whole damn sequence and loss is on coaching. 1:12 and 3 TO for Pittsburgh, down by 1 is an eternity. I knew we had lost the second we scored. I was throwing a fn pillow and screaming at the coaching staff for being fn morons. There was zero reason to rush a play in that situation. I am not saying, don't score when you can, but there was no need to hurry. Zero.

Last edited:

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was Marvin and Lazors fault. Defenses can't stop good offenses anymore in this league. The second we got inside the Steelers 35 yard line with 2 timeouts and just under 2 minutes, you start using the middle of the field and if you have to, you use your timeout if time is getting out of control. Instead we throw a 20 yard pass, which I was okay with but then the next play we HURRY to the line of scrimmage, no huddle and throw an out pattern to stop the fn clock with like a 1:20 on the clock. WHY? I was screaming at the TV, you freaking idiots, SLOW DOWN! We had two timeouts, we were inside the 15 yard line, 1:30 on the clock, and we rush to the LOS with no huddle and immediately call a quick out for 10 yards to stop the clock??? WHY?

I know you score when you can, I get that. If the bigger pass play before the screen had wound up being a TD pass, I am okay with that, you score when you can. However, the second it was completed, with 2 TO, you do not rush to the LOS and call an out pattern to stop the clock when Pittsburgh has a history of driving the field in 10 seconds on you. Management was acting like we had no timeouts and there was 10 seconds on the clock.

1:30 on the clock, 2 TO, 1st down inside the 15 yard line.

Take your time, huddle up, call that same out pattern, but take your time. This time on the out pattern you do not run out of bounds, you fall down in bounds and keep the clock running. The clock starts getting inside 30 seconds and you are not in the end zone on the next play, then you call your time out.

If Pittsburgh is forced to start taking their timeouts, so be it, that is the way the cookie crumbles, but you leave them no timeouts.

That whole damn sequence and loss is on coaching. 1:12 and 3 TO for Pittsburgh, down by 1 is an eternity. I knew we had lost the second we scored. I was throwing a fn pillow and screaming at the coaching staff for being fn morons. There was zero reason to rush a play in that situation. I am not saying, don't score when you can, but there was no need to hurry. Zero.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
messed that up.

I can only guess 1 of the 2:

1. they were taking what the defense gave them, and electing to put the game in the hands of our defense.
2. we needed to allow Pittsburgh to score to stay within the NFL guidelines and maintain our roll as bitches.

although 1 seems logical, 2 seems more and more logical, although it's on the same level as ancient aliens or Russia controlling our government by proxy

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not like this is why y'all lost either. You lost because Dre Kirkpatrick doesn't know how to defend properly.

Meh.... They probably should have let that one play as well. Why call one and not the other? I still think the Steelers would have found a way in any event. That had plenty of time, a kicker that's never missed in Cincy and Big Ben.

As pointed out above.... The big issue was that Ben had over a minute and three timeouts. I can't really fault the offense for trying to score - It's just the way it worked out.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.... They probably should have let that one play as well. Why call one and not the other? I still think the Steelers would have found a way in any event. That had plenty of time, a kicker that's never missed in Cincy and Big Ben.

As pointed out above.... The big issue was that Ben had over a minute and three timeouts. I can't really fault the offense for trying to score - It's just the way it worked out.

I was not faulting the offense for scoring. I said there was no need to run up the field, get everyone set and throw a 7 to 8 yard out route to stop the clock at that part of the field with 2 TO and 1:20 on the clock. Just was no need for it. Take your time, huddle up and call that out pattern that stays IN BOUNDS. The Bengals didn't have to do anything different other than not rushing to the LOS after the long pass, and NOT going out of bounds on the out pattern. Outside that, everything else during the game was done right. Just piss poor coaching and time management, again.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not faulting the offense for scoring. I said there was no need to run up the field, get everyone set and throw a 7 to 8 yard out route to stop the clock at that part of the field with 2 TO and 1:20 on the clock. Just was no need for it. Take your time, huddle up and call that out pattern that stays IN BOUNDS. The Bengals didn't have to do anything different other than not rushing to the LOS after the long pass, and NOT going out of bounds on the out pattern. Outside that, everything else during the game was done right. Just piss poor coaching and time management, again.

To be fair, they're just not used to this situation. It's always the other team driving in the last 2 minutes of the game. They need more practice.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should've NEVER let Reggie Nelson leave.

Or Andrew Whitworth. Or Takeo Spikes. Or Corey Dillon.

This is nauseating. I really don't have anything to say.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, they're just not used to this situation. It's always the other team driving in the last 2 minutes of the game. They need more practice.

To be fair, Marvin has been coaching in the NFL for 16 seasons and should have been able to tell Lazor, slow this shit down a little bit.

Second of all, outside the one where Dennard got beat by Juju, on a GREAT play by Juju, how is it that Kirkpatrick is the only DB on the field constantly getting beat like a drum? The pass interference's, the holding calls, the costly penalties on 3rd down, 90% of the time it is called on Kirkpatrick. Seriously, we gave this douche $55 million dollars? In all honestly, if we are not given an opportunity for a legit RT prospect in the draft in the 1st round, we should be drafting CB again round 1, let Kirkpatrick walk, and make sure Jackson and Dennard are resigned

Tired, tired, tired of Kirkpatrick.

For Austen being this defensive evil genius, he sure doesn't know how to get pressure on a QB when it isn't his front 4 to 5 guys. Where are the exotic blitz packages, where are the turnovers? Where is the 3rd down defense?

I would give my right testicle to have Mike Zimmer as our head coach. I have been very happy with Lazor and the changes Frank Pollack have made on the offense.

Switch out Marvin for Mike Zimmer and let Mike call the defensive plays. Rest of coaching staff can stay the same as far as I am concerned.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, Marvin has been coaching in the NFL for 16 seasons and should have been able to tell Lazor, slow this shit down a little bit.

Second of all, outside the one where Dennard got beat by Juju, on a GREAT play by Juju, how is it that Kirkpatrick is the only DB on the field constantly getting beat like a drum? The pass interference's, the holding calls, the costly penalties on 3rd down, 90% of the time it is called on Kirkpatrick. Seriously, we gave this douche $55 million dollars? In all honestly, if we are not given an opportunity for a legit RT prospect in the draft in the 1st round, we should be drafting CB again round 1, let Kirkpatrick walk, and make sure Jackson and Dennard are resigned

Tired, tired, tired of Kirkpatrick.

For Austen being this defensive evil genius, he sure doesn't know how to get pressure on a QB when it isn't his front 4 to 5 guys. Where are the exotic blitz packages, where are the turnovers? Where is the 3rd down defense?

I would give my right testicle to have Mike Zimmer as our head coach. I have been very happy with Lazor and the changes Frank Pollack have made on the offense.

Switch out Marvin for Mike Zimmer and let Mike call the defensive plays. Rest of coaching staff can stay the same as far as I am concerned.

Ole' Mike isn't having the best time of it in Minny right now. I love the dude too, but sometimes you need your players to play. This isn't an endorsement of Austin.... I don't like him.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I get that. Difference is, I think Mike schemed to his players strengths, where as Austin converts the players to his scheme. I think that is the skinny of it. We have big strong DB's. We need to play more man on the outside and bump and run right at the line of scrimmage. I don't know how many times we basically give a first down away because the DB is playing 10 yards off the WR and we allow the quick slant to screw us over and go uncontested.

Granted, I am no football genius, and I can't even pretend to know what is really going on between coaches and scheming during a game. All I know is that the good defenses that his big physcial DB's play a lot more bump and run man on the outside and those quick slants almost do not exist unless you get those picks to free up the WR.

If we played more man, and let Bates roam CF, along with a touch more aggressive blitz from time to time with the LB's and stunts to try and break down the offensive line we would have more success. Of course that is all assuming because unless we see it happen, who knows if it will work. I am just looking at the personnel and have to assume this would be the best scheme for our talent.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a lot less stressful watching this team when I just watch the highlights afterwards.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what... I'm already over it. Just get ready for a shootout against the Chiefs.