• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals vs Ravens Part 3

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue with moving on from Perine is that we'll need someone that can adequately fill in on third down. Mixon is an awful blocker - Highlighted again the other night. I simply can't understand how a talented athlete like Mixon can't block - I mean, the guy plays physical with the ball in his hands, so it doesn't seem like he is afraid of contact. But damn is he awful. Anyway, if Perine does move on, we need to identify someone reliable that can catch the ball and can provide pass protection.

I'm not sure Allen will go anywhere. Burrow likes having him as a caddy. He's more of a coach at this point. I suspect that they'll continue to keep a developmental guy around. I think Pratt is definitely gone and he'll take a piece of the D's soul with him. It's hard to find players that play their best games when the most is on the line. And that is exactly what Pratt does. But he'll also get paid more than he's worth given his position.

I agree that we keep Bell. Hurst might stick around on a team friend deal, but in a world where Uzomah gets 8 million per year as an FA, I think it's fair to say we will lose him.
Won't argue about either - just playing the odds...

Either guy returning isn't going to break the bank, or prevent this team from getting things done that need to get done.

More to the point - Bengals are entering that window where some really tough decisions are looming.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sign the big dogs, get OL help Try to keep as much of the D intact as you can.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sign the big dogs, get OL help Try to keep as much of the D intact as you can.
I don't think th at is going to happen. The D is where most of the money already is, and the guys you are talking about resigning and keeping in tact are due for big pay days.

The most expensive player on offense is between Cappa and Mixon. Burrow, Higgins, Chase all on rookie contracts, Hurst one year prove it deal. Offensive lineman are taking up some money, but Collins is only at $10 million, Karas at about $6 million. I think Boyd is around $10, Cappa around $12 and Mixon around $12.

You cut Mixon and Boyd, you can save most of that, but right now you are looking at having to free up about $70 million per year for 2 guys. If you cut everyone of those players, you are not getting to $70 million. So now you obviously can't get rid of Burrow's protection, so you are having to dive into defense and let other favored players leave via free agency, like Higgins.

Need to almost consider looking into trades for guys with a year of service left. Boyd, Mixon, Higgins...see if you can get anything back in return draft pick wise to try and restock with multi-year young talent on the cheap.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think th at is going to happen. The D is where most of the money already is, and the guys you are talking about resigning and keeping in tact are due for big pay days.

The most expensive player on offense is between Cappa and Mixon. Burrow, Higgins, Chase all on rookie contracts, Hurst one year prove it deal. Offensive lineman are taking up some money, but Collins is only at $10 million, Karas at about $6 million. I think Boyd is around $10, Cappa around $12 and Mixon around $12.

You cut Mixon and Boyd, you can save most of that, but right now you are looking at having to free up about $70 million per year for 2 guys. If you cut everyone of those players, you are not getting to $70 million. So now you obviously can't get rid of Burrow's protection, so you are having to dive into defense and let other favored players leave via free agency, like Higgins.

Need to almost consider looking into trades for guys with a year of service left. Boyd, Mixon, Higgins...see if you can get anything back in return draft pick wise to try and restock with multi-year young talent on the cheap.
Collins is basically 3 - one year deals...he can be cut at any time with no dead money.

Considering his back and knee issues - I might keep him around, but the focus should be finding a new RT in either F/A or in the draft. The same can be said for LT - Williams is the worst rated OT in football, and his knee sliding in and out of place is an issue (and could be why the decline in play, even if he's never been great). Keep the LG, C, RG in tact, you hold onto your cards because it gives you a safety net at both OT spots, but both spots should be looked at for starting upgrades this year.

Defensively - I 100% agree with you. Can't pay Pratt and Wilson and Reader (both due next year) and Bell, etc...choices will have to be made. Reader is a must, so you have to start looking at the roster construction between Pratt, Wilson, and Bell, with Pratt and Bell due this year.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere, with the new sunday ticket deal with youtube, that the cap is going to go up like $70 million over the next couple of years. The bengals just need to figure out how to make 2023's cap work, and then there will be more money available to keep people.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say regardless of who we have at running back or WR, you gotta protect Joe Burrow with starter quality OL. Look at how Perine has evolved with an improved OL, last year he was running like a 3rd stringer, this year he's been posting highlight reels. I'd be ok with us using 1st or 2nd rounder on long term TE, since they also get involved in the blocking. apparently some folks have us taking a TE out of Notre Dame. Would stock up on either FA or draft for OL and create some competition or depth. not sure Carman is ready, wish he could go to USFL XFL CFL or something and get some experience. although I'm sure he had his hands full with talented DE last week.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere, with the new sunday ticket deal with youtube, that the cap is going to go up like $70 million over the next couple of years. The bengals just need to figure out how to make 2023's cap work, and then there will be more money available to keep people.
Just remember - the cap goes up, contracts go up. I think the % of what is spent on a player is going to be roughly the same, but the dollars will increase as the cap does.....agents are going to know this, and they are going to make sure their players know this.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say regardless of who we have at running back or WR, you gotta protect Joe Burrow with starter quality OL. Look at how Perine has evolved with an improved OL, last year he was running like a 3rd stringer, this year he's been posting highlight reels. I'd be ok with us using 1st or 2nd rounder on long term TE, since they also get involved in the blocking. apparently some folks have us taking a TE out of Notre Dame. Would stock up on either FA or draft for OL and create some competition or depth. not sure Carman is ready, wish he could go to USFL XFL CFL or something and get some experience. although I'm sure he had his hands full with talented DE last week.
I'd re-sign Hurst - and look to add another TE later in the draft if possible.

Kid from ND is not going to make it to the Bengals, IMO.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd re-sign Hurst - and look to add another TE later in the draft if possible.

Kid from ND is not going to make it to the Bengals, IMO.
we can make Hurst an offer, but after the stuff he's showed, he will likely get a huge offer like last years TE did.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we can make Hurst an offer, but after the stuff he's showed, he will likely get a huge offer like last years TE did.
Huge? Eh. CJ only got 15M guaranteed, 5M signing...so not even quite 7M a year. That's good for 18th in the NFL.

As for Hurst has also bounced around a bit, and has spoke often about how he finally feels like he found a home. He is already 30 - the ones making more money than him, or due for bigger pay days, are either All-Pro type guys, Pro-Bowl type guys, or guys who are 3-4-5 years younger.

Not sure there's going to be a team that throws a ton of money at a 30+ year old TE who doesn't check the age, All-Pro, or Pro-Bowl boxes....but I could be wrong.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to this game for a moment...

Bates has had, IMO, a really rough year. Yes, 4 INT's, but overall his impact, IMO, has been better in other years/stretches.

That being said - he made 2 outstanding plays on Sunday.

The 1st was on Huntley's long run - he was well blocked, disengaged, and changed Huntley down.

That leads to another play where they try and throw the fake screen right, then screen left - he splits the defender and makes the tackle.

The next 2 plays, the LB's step up (with an assist from Bell) - stuffing the power run - with Bailey destroying the FB, and the LB's and Bell standing the RB up and tackling him.

That leads to the QB leap - where Wilson and Pratt combined to knock the ball out of Huntley's hand, and Hubbard's Fumble in the Jungle return....

All set in motion because Bates did not give up on the big run by Huntley - and despite being well blocked, was able to break that - and chase him down, knocking him out of bounds and setting up the rest of the series....