• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bengals vs. Jaguars

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May your primetime experience be better than mine!

Mine was back in the early 2000's when the Dolphins came to town - got so hammered I disappeared for nearly 2 full quarters. Got up with about 8 minutes left go in the 2nd qtr to use the restroom and didn't make it back until the 4th qtr.

without Joe Burrow, Zac Taylor would get fired.

alls well that ends well
Without half the great QB's in this league, most coaches would get fired. Andy Reid would be nothing without Mahomes. How does GB look without Rodgers? Tampa winning a SB without Tom Brady? How did Billy B do with his one year missing Brady? This is a QB driven league, so yeah, coaches that don't have good QB's usually get fired. Taylor is lucky he is not in that situation.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are all welcome. Stopped posting - and boom, goalline stand, and 2nd half comeback.

Joe - schmoe.

Cincyfan78, baby!

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness...

Lou gets credit for a 2nd half defensive turn around. He had them ready for the read-option much better, and had a DE or LB shadowing on the QB on several run calls. Brought more pressure to help with the run and the pass, though the DB's still play too far off on some of those blitzes for my liking, but I digress.

How about CJ - man, really happy for him.

I thought the OL did a much better job in the 2nd half, especially pass-blocking. Carman had a nice block, and then pickup block on Joe's scramble TD to CJ.

The mind of Joe Burrow is amazing. Pulled that last checked play to CJ for the screen out of camp from this summer.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness...

Lou gets credit for a 2nd half defensive turn around. He had them ready for the read-option much better, and had a DE or LB shadowing on the QB on several run calls. Brought more pressure to help with the run and the pass, though the DB's still play too far off on some of those blitzes for my liking, but I digress.

How about CJ - man, really happy for him.

I thought the OL did a much better job in the 2nd half, especially pass-blocking. Carman had a nice block, and then pickup block on Joe's scramble TD to CJ.

The mind of Joe Burrow is amazing. Pulled that last checked play to CJ for the screen out of camp from this summer.
THat play by Burrow to CJ was not from camp, that was from the playground, as that looked almost completely improvised and what made the whole play possible was Carmen not staying put to help block a guy that was already blocked by Reiff, he swung outside to take the edge and stop the stunted blitzer who had a clean shot at Burrow. Burrow waves CJ to the left, Burrow spins out, and lays a ball right on CJ in stride inches from a defenders outstretched hands for a TD. That is the type of shit the great ones do, but he need s a little help from his oline like he got to give his receivers time to get open.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are all welcome. Stopped posting - and boom, goalline stand, and 2nd half comeback.

Joe - schmoe.

Cincyfan78, baby!
So you stopped posting, and my Brown's fan friend left at halftime to take his daughter home to get ready for bed and school. The perfect storm of bad luck was occurring until it all ended and then the Bengals could play.

Alf got a heck of a game to go to. That was a roller coaster ride right there.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THat play by Burrow to CJ was not from camp, that was from the playground, as that looked almost completely improvised and what made the whole play possible was Carmen not staying put to help block a guy that was already blocked by Reiff, he swung outside to take the edge and stop the stunted blitzer who had a clean shot at Burrow. Burrow waves CJ to the left, Burrow spins out, and lays a ball right on CJ in stride inches from a defenders outstretched hands for a TD. That is the type of shit the great ones do, but he need s a little help from his oline like he got to give his receivers time to get open.
No, the screen. Not the TD pass. The screen at the end of the game was a check by Burrow they haven't used since camp. Burrow talked about it in the post-presser.

And yes, the scramble TD is just the ability of the QB to feel and move and buy time, while the receiver was smart enough to follow the path and drift just deep enough to get behind the LB on defense.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also...did you see the graphic towards the end?

Burrow: 5 of 7 on PA passes with nearly 100 yards and 1 TD. I believe that was early in the 4th, so I have to assume it may have changed a little...but going back to what we said...there are multiple ways to run PA, from shotgun or from center...though, most would call it an RPO in today's parlance. Regardless...if the Bengals want to slow down the rush, they have to utilize Mixon in the run game as well as using him as that decoy in the passing game.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the screen. Not the TD pass. The screen at the end of the game was a check by Burrow they haven't used since camp. Burrow talked about it in the post-presser.

And yes, the scramble TD is just the ability of the QB to feel and move and buy time, while the receiver was smart enough to follow the path and drift just deep enough to get behind the LB on defense.
I misunderstood. Yeah, that was scary. They literally let 3 guys go unblocked straight up the middle. Great sidearm throw by Joe to get the ball to CJ there.

In his postgame with the TNF Crew he said at halftime, he told coach he wanted to go empty more, spread it out and that the defense can't cover the whole set. Glad Burrow was able to convince coach to open that shit up. 4 Drives in the second half, 3 TD's and a game winning FG.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I misunderstood. Yeah, that was scary. They literally let 3 guys go unblocked straight up the middle. Great sidearm throw by Joe to get the ball to CJ there.

In his postgame with the TNF Crew he said at halftime, he told coach he wanted to go empty more, spread it out and that the defense can't cover the whole set. Glad Burrow was able to convince coach to open that shit up. 4 Drives in the second half, 3 TD's and a game winning FG.
Yeah, Burrow knew spreading them out would open it up.

Their big issue, to me anyway, in running the ball - it's way to scripted. When you only run the ball with Jumbo sets and multiple blockers on the field, the defense knows what you are going to do. It also limits the fear of it being a PA for a big gain because you have literally only 1 WR, or maybe 2...everyone else is in there to block. They really need to be able to spread out the defense 4 wide, and get Mixon the ball with some created space so he can use his vision and pick where he needs to go.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this - For ONCE it was the Bengals TE coming out of nowhere to make a huge impact.

CJ - 5 catches, 95 yards, 2 TD.

If I am not mistaken, every single catch went for at least a 1st down.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this - For ONCE it was the Bengals TE coming out of nowhere to make a huge impact.

CJ - 5 catches, 95 yards, 2 TD.

If I am not mistaken, every single catch went for at least a 1st down.
I would think so since he averaged almost 20 yards per catch and nothing was a massive gain but that one TD catch that was improvised and that was only about 30ish.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Burrow knew spreading them out would open it up.

Their big issue, to me anyway, in running the ball - it's way to scripted. When you only run the ball with Jumbo sets and multiple blockers on the field, the defense knows what you are going to do. It also limits the fear of it being a PA for a big gain because you have literally only 1 WR, or maybe 2...everyone else is in there to block. They really need to be able to spread out the defense 4 wide, and get Mixon the ball with some created space so he can use his vision and pick where he needs to go.
I called every single running play on the night. Every single one. If someone as stupid as me and can call it, then the players and coaches opposing us have to have a pretty good idea 90% of the time. I 100% agree, we need to run out of more pass sets, and we need to pass out of more run sets to keep the defense guessing. Need a whole other play sheet outlining these options.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I got a pretty damn good game to go to for my first time! It was quite a night. I was sitting in 154, in the end zone so the last TD and McPherson's kick came right at me.

All in all, it was a fun experience. I will admit, it was very weird: A) being around Bengals fans (not many, if any where I live) and B) being around non-cynical, irrationally optimistic Bengals fans, unlike all of us here.

I'm not smart enough to know whether the below average defensive performance was more due to lack of Bates (which would help his negotiations) or the Thursday turnaround, or both.

I went to the pro-shop in the morning and successfully evaded some local TV guy who was video bombing random people about their purchases and thoughts on the game. Soon after that, Katie Blackburn herself was walking around the store. I probably should have said something semi-polite but I avoided her as well. There seemed to be an outcry for Logan Wilson jerseys as apparently there were none.

I managed to get out of there under with under $200 worth of stuff, much better than had I gone during the game under the influence. I got myself a nice jacket to wear for the Vegas game that I'm now going to, thanks to my gf.

I'll say this as an outsider to the area, I know the feeling is to root for the team, but not support them financially (tickets, merch, etc.) until they change the way they do things, or hope for a a change of ownership or them even leaving, but as someone who has had a team leave the area (The Whalers, who were godawful most of their years), it sucks. Granted you still have the Reds, and college football/basketball, but its better (I think) to keep getting your heart broken and getting pissed at all the losing and other stuff, then to have none of it.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without half the great QB's in this league, most coaches would get fired. Andy Reid would be nothing without Mahomes. How does GB look without Rodgers? Tampa winning a SB without Tom Brady? How did Billy B do with his one year missing Brady? This is a QB driven league, so yeah, coaches that don't have good QB's usually get fired. Taylor is lucky he is not in that situation.
Those are good observations.

I think the difference between Zac Taylor and those other coaches is that he's a freakin' shill. and possibly mentally handicapped.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I got a pretty damn good game to go to for my first time! It was quite a night. I was sitting in 154, in the end zone so the last TD and McPherson's kick came right at me.

All in all, it was a fun experience. I will admit, it was very weird: A) being around Bengals fans (not many, if any where I live) and B) being around non-cynical, irrationally optimistic Bengals fans, unlike all of us here.

I'm not smart enough to know whether the below average defensive performance was more due to lack of Bates (which would help his negotiations) or the Thursday turnaround, or both.

I went to the pro-shop in the morning and successfully evaded some local TV guy who was video bombing random people about their purchases and thoughts on the game. Soon after that, Katie Blackburn herself was walking around the store. I probably should have said something semi-polite but I avoided her as well. There seemed to be an outcry for Logan Wilson jerseys as apparently there were none.

I managed to get out of there under with under $200 worth of stuff, much better than had I gone during the game under the influence. I got myself a nice jacket to wear for the Vegas game that I'm now going to, thanks to my gf.

I'll say this as an outsider to the area, I know the feeling is to root for the team, but not support them financially (tickets, merch, etc.) until they change the way they do things, or hope for a a change of ownership or them even leaving, but as someone who has had a team leave the area (The Whalers, who were godawful most of their years), it sucks. Granted you still have the Reds, and college football/basketball, but its better (I think) to keep getting your heart broken and getting pissed at all the losing and other stuff, then to have none of it.
I will say that Katie's daughter is doing a lot for the fanbase. It may all seem like simple things, but having the ring of honor ceremony, upgrading the lighting in the stadium, having an online presence that goes beyond Geoff Hobson's desk. These things all make it much more fun. And while the football is still a work in progress, they have marketed this group as a fun, young team that is hungry to win. It's working - They are definitely likable.