• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals MVP at this point

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Personally, I wouldn't discount one player's impact on a defense based on what that defense did against Pittsburgh's putrid o-line.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D has routinely gotten pressure even when he isn't in the game. Also he isn't an every down player yet. I can't give the tema MVP to a player who isn't in there the majority of the time.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe rey has a point, sorta, The D has been keeping us in games though, without the D, Dalton's ROY run would be overshadowed by Cam Newton highlight reels... although some would say it already is.

our current defense is #5 in ypg and ppg, if that was not the case, would we even be considering Dalton or Green for MVP?

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well then maybe the argument should be that in most cases in football - the ultimate team sport - the term MVP does not apply. The obvious exception would be the elite QBs (Rogers, Manning, etc.).

In the NFL, by position, QB is by far the most important, no matter the team, no matter the circumstance. In contrast, if you look at a sport like basketball, there is no one position that holds more value than the next. The value of each position relative to the next is determined by the PLAYER that holds that position.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the D is playing great. But can you single out who the most important player on that D is? I can't. Without Maualuga in the game it fell off quite a bit, especially against the run. We still got pressure without Dunlap in there, while he is a great player, our D kept on chugging without him.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then maybe the argument should be that in most cases in football - the ultimate team sport - the term MVP does not apply. The obvious exception would be the elite QBs (Rogers, Manning, etc.).

In the NFL, by position, QB is by far the most important, no matter the team, no matter the circumstance. In contrast, if you look at a sport like basketball, there is no one position that holds more value than the next. The value of each position is determined by the PLAYER that holds that position.

Which is exactly why a QB and in some extreme cases a RB or WR should be the only positions ever considered for MVP. That's all folks.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So pretty much it's an irrelevant achievement.

Agreed.

Kind of like telling your father, 'you're my father of the year'. Duh! You only have one father. But it sure does sound nice.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep pretty much. Team MVP is basically useless. Now if your father was father of the year in America it would be different.