• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Beats...are they worth the money?

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dr. Dre came out with a set of headphones he's calling, "beats" that supposedly let you hear the music the way they do in the recording studio....but they're also $300.

Does anyone own any? Are they worth that amount of money?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dr. Dre came out with a set of headphones he's calling, "beats" that supposedly let you hear the music the way they do in the recording studio....but they're also $300.

i do not own any, but i can safely say that no headphones are worth $300.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quality is there but a lot of the price has to do with the brand name. You can get the same quality out of some Sennheiser headphones for half the price, they just won't have all of the pretty colors.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beats are not worth the money.

They are, like brands like skull candy, simply marketed more from an image standpoint, then an actual audio quality point.

All DJs, electronic music creators, and studio / sound engineers will most likely use headphones that are designed to be true studio spec. Brands include AKG, Sony, Pioneer, Klipsch, and Shure.

Beats don't even crack the top 10 in sound quality v price. But they do come in pretty colors and smartly pay celebs and athletes to wear them in front of cameras to fleece consumers (and it appears lots of stupid parents of children from what I witnessed last Christmas) into buying them.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beats are not worth the money.

They are, like brands like skull candy, simply marketed more from an image standpoint, then an actual audio quality point.

All DJs, electronic music creators, and studio / sound engineers will most likely use headphones that are designed to be true studio spec. Brands include AKG, Sony, Pioneer, Klipsch, and Shure.

Beats don't even crack the top 10 in sound quality v price. But they do come in pretty colors and smartly pay celebs and athletes to wear them in front of cameras to fleece consumers (and it appears lots of stupid parents of children from what I witnessed last Christmas) into buying them.

Plus I hate their fucking commercials.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on who you want beaten

Nascar Addict

"Rootbeer's good for your root!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on who you want beaten

Jimmie Johnson. Kyle Busch. Nick Saban. Urban Meyer. Whoever came up with boy bands. Whoever came up with bubblegum pop. Florida Georgia Line. Luke Bryan. Sugarland. Red Hot Chili Peppers. Some of my family. Some of my girlfriend's family.

That's the short list.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I listened to a pair, and my $100 Sennheiser ear buds are just as good and far more comfortable. I don't get the whole idea of wearing these large, obtrusive things. Guess it's better to be seen, then to listen in comfort.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people used to pay 300 to not look like a goof walking down the street.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a brand new pair of cordless ones for my wife at the swap-a-rama. They were 300. Got em for 150. Very nice too. She loves em. I hate ear buds. They bother me and wanna fall out all the time. I used hers when i was shoveling in the winter. Left my phone in house on shuffle and it was nice with the blue tooth. They bump pretty loud too

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad I passed on them. The only place I listen to music is at work and I have ear buds by Sony. They're the kind that bend to fit in your ear better. Cost about 30 bucks and they're well worth it. I love the sound and the portability.

We have a canteen store up at the VA and they have a few pairs of those 'beats' things and I saw the price was $300 and was wondering if they were worth the money.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Beats" are just studio monitor headphones. Normal headphones "color" the sound, whereas studio monitors play the sound very raw. I can't really comment on the quality of "Beats", but a workable set of studio monitors starts at about $125. In fact, unless someone is comparing "Beats" to other studio monitor headphones, it's really impossible to say whether they're over or under priced. But I'll venture to say over priced.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've tried them in conjuction with Bose noise cancelling. Beats did pretty well with noise cancelling, no idea if they have any or if they were just good enough. Bose still kills all noise from the outside amazingly well, and would go with them over Beats any day because I hate looking like a hipster douche.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've tried them in conjuction with Bose noise cancelling. Beats did pretty well with noise cancelling, no idea if they have any or if they were just good enough. Bose still kills all noise from the outside amazingly well, and would go with them over Beats any day because I hate looking like a hipster douche.

Agreed, Bose is the way to go. I got my Bose like 3 years ago and they still work great. Only issue I've ever had is on bumpy roads or turbulence they cut out, which gets annoying.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a brand new pair of cordless ones for my wife at the swap-a-rama. They were 300. Got em for 150. Very nice too. She loves em. I hate ear buds. They bother me and wanna fall out all the time. I used hers when i was shoveling in the winter. Left my phone in house on shuffle and it was nice with the blue tooth. They bump pretty loud too

If you're having trouble with them falling out I'd suggest trying [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Comply-T-400-Isolation-Earphone-Medium/dp/B002NUJ2RM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402416583&sr=1-1&keywords=foam+earbud+tips"]these[/ame] depending on what kind of earbuds you have. They're very soft but they expand to fit your ear exactly rather than being a cylindrical or sphere-ish shape that falls out easily.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, Bose is the way to go. I got my Bose like 3 years ago and they still work great. Only issue I've ever had is on bumpy roads or turbulence they cut out, which gets annoying.

FYI, when they finally give out don't toss them. Take em in to a Bose store and they will give you a credit towards a new pair. :suds:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't own any, but my son has a pair...he just upgraded to a pair of Sennheisers.

The studio version ($300) of the Beats do sound better than the regular version, but they still color the recording...particularly bass...depends on the type of music you like...if it's bass heavy as with reggae you will get the full impact of the beats...Sennheiser is more accurate, i.e. more Bose like...but more full range.