• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

beat writer article

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread was an ugly person and the rumor was a dick. I didnt like it, but I had to. :D

flyermaniaa90

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are those two any better than what they have? Are they better than what they can get next year in free agency to bridge the gap until the young guys are ready? Can the Flyers sign them and have money left over for mid-season moves with the little cap space they have left?

The answer to all of them is no, so why bother? the answer is Yes they will make room... and yes they are better than bouche and leighton...both give up poor short side goals...and are to deep in the net...those goals kill teams as they did the Flyers in the playoffs...lots of time left and everyday the price goes down for both of them...

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
is turco better than leighton? no. well maybe a little. it would be nice to have a backup plan. and yes we have plenty of room to sign him if we get rid of walker. that would also leave enough room for callups and a mid season person.

as far as the goalies next year, if the cap does not rise a lot there is no way to get one without losing a good player.

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as the goalies next year, if the cap does not rise a lot there is no way to get one without losing a good player.

It rose almost $3M when it was supposed to go down. I don't know how much it'll go up, but it should at the very least cover whatever Carcillo and Powe want. O'Donnell, Carcillo, Powe, Zherdev, Carter, Giroux, Boucher, and Leino all have expiring contracts. That leaves just under $15M, getting rid of Cote and Walker. Figuring conservatively, Carcillo and Powe will be covered by the cap increase (I don't think ~$2M is a gross overestimate, probably closer to an underestimate), that leaves $15M for Carter, Giroux, Leino, and Vokoun. Doable, especially after Leino shows that the playoffs were a fluke for him and that he is a poor man's Scott Gomez and not a 20 goalscorer.

Plus I have my serious doubts that Coburn and Carle are on the team together one year from now. I truly believe one of them is gone after Meszaros proves to be better than both. Right there is Leino's money. 6, 5, 4 for Carter, Giroux, Vokoun and we're set. Maybe even dump Leighton for a cheaper option at the backup position, perhaps another lefty European? hint hint :D:D

So assuming it goes up by only $2M, who do we lose that's any good?

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It rose almost $3M when it was supposed to go down. I don't know how much it'll go up, but it should at the very least cover whatever Carcillo and Powe want. O'Donnell, Carcillo, Powe, Zherdev, Carter, Giroux, Boucher, and Leino all have expiring contracts. That leaves just under $15M, getting rid of Cote and Walker. Figuring conservatively, Carcillo and Powe will be covered by the cap increase (I don't think ~$2M is a gross overestimate, probably closer to an underestimate), that leaves $15M for Carter, Giroux, Leino, and Vokoun. Doable, especially after Leino shows that the playoffs were a fluke for him and that he is a poor man's Scott Gomez and not a 20 goalscorer.

Plus I have my serious doubts that Coburn and Carle are on the team together one year from now. I truly believe one of them is gone after Meszaros proves to be better than both. Right there is Leino's money. 6, 5, 4 for Carter, Giroux, Vokoun and we're set. Maybe even dump Leighton for a cheaper option at the backup position, perhaps another lefty European? hint hint :D:D

So assuming it goes up by only $2M, who do we lose that's any good?

15 mil in space. 6 for carter, 5 for giroux. so that leaves 4 mil in space. leino is good enough to be a 20 goal scorer. he has skill. i think he is good enough for 50 points. so he will get around 3.5 mil. that does not leave enough for vokoun unless you want to get rid of coburn or carle. and i think one will be gone. although i think zherdev might be re signed. i think either him or leino will be re signed. we still might only be able to sign vokoun for 1 year since jvr will need a new contract. and eriksson is not playing next year. bobrovsky should be ready before him. also, there are so many what ifs. there is no point in talking about it. what if bobrovsky plays great in the ahl? then i would rather go with him and leighton or someone similar.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd if Leighton proves that he is Jacques Plantes we wont nned to spend money on Vokoun!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
geez talk about getting out in front of it (talking about a year away haha).. but i think some of you guys are over-estimating our cap situation next year.. it BLOWS.. like really bad

carter, giroux, leino, carcillo, powe, odonnel, boosh, cote, and zherdev all come off.. which is a total of 13.1mil.. i'll agree with around 2 mil for cap increase.. so thats 15 mil in space for 7 forwards, a d-man, and a goalie.. carter gets 6, giroux 4.5 (fingers crossed), leino 3.5 and you're looking at 1 mil to sign 4 forwards, a dman, and a goalie? i dont think so..

i think the key for next years cap is winning the cup and having timo retire on top, where he deserves to be. :)

EDIT: i guess adding walker's 1.7 would help.. still 2.7 for 4 forwards, 1-2 d-men, and a goalie is stretching it

Last edited by a moderator:

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
my guess would be that hartnell gets traded at the end of this season: at 3.7 and 3.2 mill on his last 2 years, he will be more attractive to everyone. briere has 7, 7 and 3 mill left, so he's likely not going anywhere unless we buy out his contract. which is an option. heck carle and coburn can both be moved easy. there are a host of options that holmer could employ at seasons end. much depends on how the farm system is fairing at bringing up cheap young talent. marshall, bodrov, a goalie? each youngster that cracks the line up offers us a chance to subtract a 3-5 million hit off the bill. again, another reason to stop with the draft pick bleeding via trades.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my guess would be that hartnell gets traded at the end of this season: at 3.7 and 3.2 mill on his last 2 years, he will be more attractive to everyone. briere has 7, 7 and 3 mill left, so he's likely not going anywhere unless we buy out his contract. which is an option. heck carle and coburn can both be moved easy. there are a host of options that holmer could employ at seasons end. much depends on how the farm system is fairing at bringing up cheap young talent. marshall, bodrov, a goalie? each youngster that cracks the line up offers us a chance to subtract a 3-5 million hit off the bill. again, another reason to stop with the draft pick bleeding via trades.

i think carle is the next guy to go.. whether thats this off-season, during the season, or next off-season.. the flyers organization as a whole, is deep on d-men.. most of the legitimate prospects are on defense, a large portion of the cap is dedicated d-men.. i'm not totally against moving him now, his value should be extremely high right now after a good season with pronger.. i think mez will play with pronger this year, so carle, most likely, will not have as good of a season..

as far as young guys moving up goes, i would love it if rinaldo was ready next season to take over for carcillo.. everything i read about him makes me excited for him to play.. i liked downie when he was here.. loose cannon that wreaks havoc.. (and that hit on mcammond wasn't THAT bad).. also, i think bobrovsky and leighton will be the goalie tandem next season

and you got me thinking.. will hartnell's cap hit, for the recieving team, be 3.45 since thats what's left on his contract?

Last edited by a moderator:

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
unless i'm reading it wrong, his salary for 2011-12 will be 3.7 mill and for 2012-13 it will be 3.2 mill. those numbers make him very tradeable. if we don't make the playoffs this year, god forbid, i could see teams inquiring for him at the deadline.

nhlnumbers.com Team Overview

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no i'm not disagreeing with you.. those are his salary numbers.. i was just wondering about his cap hit.. cause its the average cost over the duration of the deal.. i was just curious if anyone knew if that contract would 'act like' a 2 year deal with a cap hit of 3.45.. or if it would still be 4.5 (or whatever it is now) against the cap

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no point in buying out brieres contract. it would only lower the hit to 3.25 mil. i think we could trade either coburn or carle and be fine. move meszaros up to the top 4 and bring in a phantom. then sign another odonnell type guy.

and why are you excited about rinaldo. all i have heard is that the guy is a moron.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no point in buying out brieres contract. it would only lower the hit to 3.25 mil. i think we could trade either coburn or carle and be fine. move meszaros up to the top 4 and bring in a phantom. then sign another odonnell type guy.

and why are you excited about rinaldo. all i have heard is that the guy is a moron.

a moron that physically abuses his opponents.. thats my kind of player.. i'm sure he'll take too many penalties, but until he does, i'm going to be excited for him to be let out of his cage

from all the articles i've read i'm putting together an image of hartnell (when he's playing well), with a little less scoring, and a little more hitting

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rinaldo = Downie

I'd take 20 goals from our goon.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rinaldo = Downie

I'd take 20 goals from our goon.

and 15 against while in the penalty box.

thats a +5.. woo maths! :)

i know thats not exactly how it works.. i just love fire-cracker types.. downie was my favorite for the like 7 games he actually played in a flyer uniform.. guys that run around and hit everything and everyone.. ppl told me carcillo would do that.. but he doesn't do it all the time and it makes me sad.. i want a guy that will compete for most hits.. if he could do it without competing for most PIMs, that would be appreciated