• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bears @ Cowboys

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how we're going to beat the best sack team in the league on the road. I'm hoping we can take some optimism out of this game to carry forward. Very worried about Fields getting destroyed though.

Fields survives and we have some positives to point to from the game. That's all I'm hoping for. *crosses fingers*

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how we're going to beat the best sack team in the league on the road. I'm hoping we can take some optimism out of this game to carry forward. Very worried about Fields getting destroyed though.

Fields survives and we have some positives to point to from the game. That's all I'm hoping for. *crosses fingers*
Lets hope the Bears O can keep the rush off balance with a decent run attack, and somehow Patrick just stubbed a toe and will start at Center.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets hope the Bears O can keep the rush off balance with a decent run attack, and somehow Patrick just stubbed a toe and will start at Center.

Honestly, Patrick has been a turnstyle so he's an upgrade only because pretty much anything is over Mustipher. It won't be nearly enough. Fields is going to get hit...a lot.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I pretty much have the same concerns. Not seeing a dub here, but hey that's why they play the games. One thing's for certain, Getsy has to continue opening the playbook and spreading the offense out more. Definitely more RPO's and planned runs for JF. It's those plays that will keep the Dallas defense honest.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stick with the gameplan of deliberate runs by Fields and some quick passes.

While the Cowboys pass rush is scary they aren't great at stopping the run....so make them over pursue and exploit the lanes.

Coming away with a win will be hard but I just want to see some continuity from the previous week that builds into progress.

Patrick went to IR, btw.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much have the same concerns. Not seeing a dub here, but hey that's why they play the games. One thing's for certain, Getsy has to continue opening the playbook and spreading the offense out more. Definitely more RPO's and planned runs for JF. It's those plays that will keep the Dallas defense honest.
Vikings game was only one i watched whole way through, but I was surprised at how often OC didn't utilize Fields ability in space.

Long term, Fields needs to improve his ability as a pocket passer if he's going to have a long career. Running QB's don't last long but Josh Allen wasn't good pocket passer or any kind of passer his early years, it can take time, but work on things he can succeed at now instead of trying to make him do things he doesn't do well

Eagles have much better supporting cast, but it's what they're doing with Jalen

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vikings game was only one i watched whole way through, but I was surprised at how often OC didn't utilize Fields ability in space.

Long term, Fields needs to improve his ability as a pocket passer if he's going to have a long career. Running QB's don't last long but Josh Allen wasn't good pocket passer or any kind of passer his early years, it can take time, but work on things he can succeed at now instead of trying to make him do things he doesn't do well

Eagles have much better supporting cast, but it's what they're doing with Jalen
Good point. That was also my argument, at least until this last game against the Pats, where Getsy utilized his skills more. I know we Bear diehards want to see Fields show himself to be more of a true pocket passer - you can't make it in the NFL without proving this. But he's still learning and I figure WTF, in the meantime take advantage of that insane athleticism. Spread that offense, give him more RPO's and planned runs/planned rollout passes. Hell this guy is a living Wildcat offensive threat, take advantage of this.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stick with the gameplan of deliberate runs by Fields and some quick passes.

While the Cowboys pass rush is scary they aren't great at stopping the run....so make them over pursue and exploit the lanes.

Coming away with a win will be hard but I just want to see some continuity from the previous week that builds into progress.

Patrick went to IR, btw.
Jeebus, this guy has been a walking infirmary since we signed him. We need a center badly. Mustishit is simply not cutting it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, Patrick has been a turnstyle so he's an upgrade only because pretty much anything is over Mustipher. It won't be nearly enough. Fields is going to get hit...a lot.
The line has been solid (sure, Mustipher struggles). Fields has had the 2nd most time to throw per dropback in the NFL. If he wants to avoid getting hit, it is on him. Our gameplan vs NE was dumbed down for him and if we continue down that road - it will obviously help out. He's never going to be a passer and he ain't our future. I say we continue hammer the designed runs and take advantage of the one thing he is good at. I'm not really concerned about his body breaking down any longer. Next year, god willing, we will have a different QB anyway.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. That was also my argument, at least until this last game against the Pats, where Getsy utilized his skills more. I know we Bear diehards want to see Fields show himself to be more of a true pocket passer - you can't make it in the NFL without proving this. But he's still learning and I figure WTF, in the meantime take advantage of that insane athleticism. Spread that offense, give him more RPO's and planned runs/planned rollout passes. Hell this guy is a living Wildcat offensive threat, take advantage of this.
I agree with all of this. Outside of the part where "he's still learning". I don't see any signs of him actually "learning" to pass or see the field from the pocket.

That being said, yes. You echo my sentiments exactly. Just forget about him ever being a real NFL "QB". He's a RB that can throw a bit. Use him like that. Roll him out, roll the pocket, run him into the ground on designed runs... You can't do it forever, but you can optimize our chances in the short term like that.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all of this. Outside of the part where "he's still learning". I don't see any signs of him actually "learning" to pass or see the field from the pocket.

That being said, yes. You echo my sentiments exactly. Just forget about him ever being a real NFL "QB". He's a RB that can throw a bit. Use him like that. Roll him out, roll the pocket, run him into the ground on designed runs... You can't do it forever, but you can optimize our chances in the short term like that.
I get your frustration and even your analysis. I've said several times now that the Bears better not give the same leash to Fields that they gave Trubisky. But I've seen enough so far to believe he at least needs a fair shot. Agreed, there are times he looks like a QB destined for the role of a journeyman, but there are also times when he shows some real potential. Like you, I'm not sold on him being able to fully develop into a true pocket passer, but right now he's too valuable as an RPO/Wildcat-like QB to be riding pine. He can and has made the difference in controlling the flow of a game. And that matters.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getsy keeps calling it like last week, and they could make a run.

Like rich said, it's not sustainable, but let's retard that kid as far as we can get.

The Bears have the best running game in the league. Beat those mules too.

The D will continue to improve. I think Dominique Robinson will see more time. Jones had BY FAR his best game last week.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said several times now that the Bears better not give the same leash to Fields that they gave Trubisky.

Why though? Fields ceiling is like 50 floors above Trubisky's.

Plenty of QBs in this league have taken more than 2 years to develop. So why a short leash for a guy with physical gifts that are far ahead of the average QB?

At the very least he should get exactly what Mitch got and that's a chance to at least play out his rookie contract.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is it’s like 95% that Justin Fields is under center on opening day for us next season. And the 5 is mainly injury.

Not really sure what games richi is watching but our pass protection is subpar even taking the most optimistic view.

Mustipher is extraordinary bad.

Patrick (possibly due to injury) is ordinary bad.

Jones and Borom both have been ok considering their pedigree…but claiming above average would be a stretch.

Jenkins, despite the preseason nonsense, has been the best of them all.

Losing Whitehair has sucked.

And let’s not forget that our WR/TE group is probably the worst in the NFL…bottom 3-5 at best.

Not really sure how anyone could think Fields has no shot at this point outside of the coaching staff…who understand it a helluva lot better than we do.

I’ll give richi this: If the coaches think Fields is a bust, we will make a move for a qb this offseason. That would be the tell for us fans. I just don’t think they think that. We’ll see.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am putting the odds at the Bears making a change at QB in the offseason at exactly 0%. As is said above...the only way he isn't starting in 2023 is injury.

And I will wager any dollar amount you silly drunk fucks want.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why though? Fields ceiling is like 50 floors above Trubisky's.

Plenty of QBs in this league have taken more than 2 years to develop. So why a short leash for a guy with physical gifts that are far ahead of the average QB?

At the very least he should get exactly what Mitch got and that's a chance to at least play out his rookie contract.
Not a short leash BWW, a shortER leash than the 4 years they gave Trubisky. Please remember I was 100% jazzed when they drafted Fields, even more so than when Trubs was taken, having followed Fields when he played for OS. I believe this kid can get his act together. I'm patient, just not 4 years worth of patience. Doesn't mean he needs to be a top 5 QB by his 4th year. But he'll need to be more consistent than he is at the present.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a short leash BWW, a shortER leash than the 4 years they gave Trubisky. Please remember I was 100% jazzed when they drafted Fields, even more so than when Trubs was taken, having followed Fields when he played for OS. I believe this kid can get his act together. I'm patient, just not 4 years worth of patience. Doesn't mean he needs to be a top 5 QB by his 4th year. But he'll need to be more consistent than he is at the present.

It doesn’t matter if you touched yourself when they drafted him. There’s no reason his leash should be shorter than Trubisky. He’s on his second year….first in this offense. Patience is needed.