• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Beamer's response to Herbstreit sunday night

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beamer doesn't pay much attention to the polls. In fact, he had to ask media members on Monday's teleconference exactly where Virginia Tech was ranked this week.

So he wasn't offended by ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit's comments Sunday night criticizing the Hokies' soft schedule and saying they weren't deserving of their No. 4 ranking in the coaches' poll. Beamer did respond, though.

"What I would say is that we're a football team that's improved where we are," he said. "I'm proud of where this football team is. And I also think people respect our program. ...

"I do think 4th is respect for our program and how we do things and how we've been able to consistently win here at Virginia Tech. So I think that's a reflection of that."

Beamer gives Cavaliers their due credit - Roanoke.com

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the hell are you going to criticize our schedule and not give teams like Stanford and Arkansas the same kind of shit?

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the hell are you going to criticize our schedule and not give teams like Stanford and Arkansas the same kind of shit?

agreed. also, they love oklahoma, but who have they beaten this year? fsu? not a big time win anymore whatsoever. kansas state? comparable to our georgia tech win. texas a and m? overrated.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Taz..See my post a day or so ago on the media perception of the ACC as one of the weaker BCS conference (and it is). Although Arkansas and Stanford played the San Jose St., Missouri St., and New Mexico's of the college football world they also beat the Texas A&M, USC-w, USC-e of the CFW. I will agree with you on the schedule of Stanford..it is probably comparable to ours by the rankings but until we (and the rest of the ACC) starts winning some high profile games against Alabama, K-State, Oklahoma, etc. we aren't going to get much love.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of conference strength of schedule is a bunch of bull. This isn't basketball where you have to schedule big games or you won't make the tournament. These pundits are getting the out of schedule argument confused with overall schedule. Stanford is a perfect example. They had to play oregon and usc, but outside of that, they're toughest game is notre dame (OVERRATED, clap, clap,clapclapclap, OVERRATED). The talking heads just love to hate because we are near the top every year, but we have a habit of losing the big game. For anyone interested, here are the top 10 teams and their 2 "biggest" OOC games.

LSU- Oregon (9-2) and WVU (7-3)
Alabama - Penn State (9-2) and Kent State (5-6)
Arkansas - Texas A&M (6-5) and Troy (3-7)
OK State - Tulsa (8-3) and Arizona (3-8)
VT - Arkansas State (9-2) and ECU (5-6)
Stanford - Notre Dame (8-3) and Duke (3-8)
Boise State - Georgia (9-2) and Tulsa (8-3)
Houston - Lousianna Tech (7-4) and UCLA (6-5)
Oklahoma - Florida State (7-4) and Tulsa (8-3)
Oregon - LSU (11-0) and Nevada (6-4)

So Alabama, Arkansas, VT, Stanford, and Houston all had easy OOC schedules. And yeah I included Alabama because Penn State is painfully overrated. Hats off to Tulsa for scheduling the hardest OOC schedule ever!

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a list of what I see as legitimate non-conference games we have had this year...

Northwestern beats BC
'Cuse beats WF
UNC barely beats Rutgers
Stanford pounds Duke
UVA gets by Indiana
UCF pounds BC
WVU beats MD
Clemson did beat up Auburn
GT thumps Kansas
OK beat FSU
Miami beat OSU
Cincinatti thumped NCSU
Temple THUMPED MD (had to throw that one in there)
Southern Miss over UVA
KSU over Miami
UNC beat Louisville

ACC is 6-8 vs. BCS conference competition..and I would hardly call Rutgers, Louisville, Kansas, etc. marquee wins. Auburn, OSU, OK..nice wins. The ACC needs to win the Oklahoma, KSU, WVU type games..and for goodness sake win some effin bowl games ACC!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed in that whole piece is an important piece of information. Coach Beamer said he doesn't pay attention to the polls. He joins a long list of other coaches who've said they don't pay attention to the polls or watch enough football to say where others should be ranked. So with that in mind, WHY THE HELL DO THEY KEEP HAVING A COACHES' POLL?