• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BCS goes out in style

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 will be worse than the 2 we have now

How so? Putting 4 teams in vastly improves the odds of getting the best 2. It is about the best 2, right? I could give a shit less if the 4th best team gets left out or not. If it goes much more than 8 the reg season will start to lose meaning.

Only down side I see is a committee with no guidlines (yet another human poll, but with statistically insignificant #s). If it were a common sense committee to oversee the process with guidlines and transparency, cool.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so? Putting 4 teams in vastly improves the odds of getting the best 2. It is about the best 2, right? I could give a shit less if the 4th best team gets left out or not. If it goes much more than 8 the reg season will start to lose meaning.

Only down side I see is a committee with no guidlines (yet another human poll, but with statistically insignificant #s). If it were a common sense committee to oversee the process with guidlines and transparency, cool.

say what you want about the BCS, but I feel like in most years it does get it right. Now we are putting the fate of a season in the hands of a committee. Right now you have #3,4,5 bitching about being left out, now we will just have #4,5,6,7 complaining.

It was apparent that this year, the BCS got it right. Besides maybe 3 years in its existence, the BCS has always seemed to work itself out.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree with OD. with a 4 team playoff the whining from teams left out will just be louder. with the current system there were only 2-3 years where 1 or 2 teams had a legitimate complaint about not being included. With 4 teams you are going to have more situations like 2011 with non-division winners being consider, conference champs possibly left out, multiple division/conference teams in the playoffs.

Plus the stupid idea of having the games played in the bowls instead of the higher ranked teams' stadium - no way would I travel to Pasedena just to see an elimination game that if my team wins means that I spent my vacation/travel money NOT going to the championship game! screw you...

as bad as the BCS was, it got the top two teams right most of the time - the majority of the fan complaints were about the other bowls sucking. and this doesn't fix that - just makes it worse!

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BCS had one goal- to get the best two teams together in a game. Most of the time, they got that right.
not all the time, but more often than not.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BCS had one goal- to get the best two teams together in a game. Most of the time, they got that right.
not all the time, but more often than not.

Yep. A BCS system should have been in play in 1994 and 1997, but the Big 10 and Pac 10 wouldn't go along with the Bowl Alliance or Bowl Coalition.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
say what you want about the BCS, but I feel like in most years it does get it right. Now we are putting the fate of a season in the hands of a committee. Right now you have #3,4,5 bitching about being left out, now we will just have #4,5,6,7 complaining.

It was apparent that this year, the BCS got it right. Besides maybe 3 years in its existence, the BCS has always seemed to work itself out.

Believe it or not I actually heard a sports radio talk show where the hosts honestly believe that the NCG should have been a rematch of Bama vs. Auburn. The BCS has created SEC idiocy by the ton.

The playoff will be better. Let's just keep 2 SEC teams out of it unless they both earn their way into it. Bama would have been in this year and clearly they shouldn't have been.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. A BCS system should have been in play in 1994 and 1997, but the Big 10 and Pac 10 wouldn't go along with the Bowl Alliance or Bowl Coalition.

The Rose Bowl and its sponsors played a big role in that also. The Rose had a contract that said they were guaranteed the Pac champ and the Big Ten champ. That is tough to give up, a guaranteed match up of major conference champions. I can see it from their point of view. The PAC and B1G were at the mercy of the Rose Bowl, contractually bound.