• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Barry's Back!

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Bochy is happy to have this positive team player in camp...

Y! SPORTS

136019431.jpg

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was kind of surprised to see that. Bonds never seemed to me like the kind of guy who would care about spending his time helping other players. I'm sure he's getting paid and he's probably spent a fortune on legal fees over the years, so perhaps his motivation is financial.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he going to teach players how to inject the needle?

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was kind of surprised to see that. Bonds never seemed to me like the kind of guy who would care about spending his time helping other players. I'm sure he's getting paid and he's probably spent a fortune on legal fees over the years, so perhaps his motivation is financial.

He gets a per diem allowance and travel expenses. Not big bucks. As of now, the gig is only for a week.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gets a per diem allowance and travel expenses. Not big bucks. As of now, the gig is only for a week.

That certainly seems to be inconsistent with my guess that he's perhaps trying to pay off his legal fees. Probably should have just kept that to myself!

Does he seem to you like the kind of guy who just likes being around the game and helping guys learn to hit? Always seemed to me like kind of a jerk, but maybe that is just the personae he presented to the media.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry Bonds could probably write you a check for $50,000,000. Love him or hate him, my guess is this is about the love of the game and nothing more.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That certainly seems to be inconsistent with my guess that he's perhaps trying to pay off his legal fees. Probably should have just kept that to myself!

Does he seem to you like the kind of guy who just likes being around the game and helping guys learn to hit? Always seemed to me like kind of a jerk, but maybe that is just the personae he presented to the media.

I dunno...it's been pretty well documented that, as a player, he was a selfish, arrogant dick to teammates, fans and Giants staff members. I don't see him as a mentor. Then again, Kent's an instructor as well.

Could be trying to spiff up his image a bit.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've never had any interaction with him, and of course, he was notoriously shitty with the media, but I've heard mixed things about fan interaction with him. Guess it all depends if someone likes him or not. I think he's been wanting to be part of the game for awhile, he usually attends a game or two at spring training. Bochy has said that he's always had regular contact with him since he's been out of the game and I don't think this move happens without Bochy's approval. Personally, I think getting batting advice from Barry Bonds is pretty invaluable. How many players do you think would actually turn it down? The steroid shit ruined his career, but it's not like he didn't have the chops to handle the big leagues before he started chasing the home run record. The guy can hit. Period.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno...it's been pretty well documented that, as a player, he was a selfish, arrogant dick to teammates, fans and Giants staff members. I don't see him as a mentor. Then again, Kent's an instructor as well.

The bad stuff I've heard about him is from the media, the good stuff I've heard is mostly first or second hand. Sometimes I'll strike up a conversation with the long-time ushers at the games or the train ride home and I've heard some cool stories from them, including some pretty cool Barry moments where he was anything but a dick.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's pretty consistent with what I've heard and read about him and why I was surprised that take such a job. Like moxie wrote, though, he was always a great hitter, even before he obviously began juicing, so perhaps he will be effective in his new role with the team.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bad stuff I've heard about him is from the media, the good stuff I've heard is mostly first or second hand. Sometimes I'll strike up a conversation with the long-time ushers at the games or the train ride home and I've heard some cool stories from them, including some pretty cool Barry moments where he was anything but a dick.

There are a few books on him with quotes from teammates, fans, friends and staff members that tell a different tale. I find it hard to believe that they are all not true.

On the other hand, no one has ever denied that he loves the game. This is an article from 2012 that may give a clue as to why he's doing this:

Barry Bonds having hard time dealing with life after baseball - Michael Rosenberg - SI.com

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few books on him with quotes from teammates, fans, friends and staff members that tell a different tale. I find it hard to believe that they are all not true.

On the other hand, no one has ever denied that he loves the game. This is an article from 2012 that may give a clue as to why he's doing this:

Barry Bonds having hard time dealing with life after baseball - Michael Rosenberg - SI.com

Interesting piece. Thanks for posting. I particularly enjoyed this part:

Bonds' explanation for why he was so widely thought to be a jerk: "I created that guy out there for entertainment only. Whether you hated me or liked me, you were there."

Rosenberg's assessment of Bonds' explanation: "If this were the case, of course, Barry Bonds would have an easy second career. He could be an Oscar-winning actor. After all, this would mean that he spent two decades brushing people off, alienating himself from teammates and irritating the media, just so people could have a good time. What an impressive performance, and how charitable of him."

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that's a fair assessment. He probably is more of a jerk than not. A big spotlight can magnify many unattractive traits. Like the article says, he's trying to get people to like him now (or as of 2012, when it was written, but absolutely remains relevant today). He needs people to like him. The spotlight diminishes more & more every year he is not associated with baseball. For someone that needs and got that much attention, it's probably hard going into relative obscurity. Being an asshole that can swing a bat can get you far, but take away his bat and he's just an asshole, I guess. Gotta try something new. I, for one, hope he can teach some valuable lessons, regarding life on & off the field.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever your stance is on Bonds, his PED use, if he's a dick or not, his motivation.... it'd be hard for me to believe he can't help young players with their approach to hitting. The man is a master of his craft. Focus in the on deck circle and in the box would seem like an area that he can be of much use. Plenty of former high end players help the franchise they associate themselves with, I don't see this being any different. Im actually glad for Barry that his Giants have welcomed him back into baseball. Even if its going to be very short lived this go around.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree with you guys on the hitting tips. If I were a guy like Brandon Belt, I'd be sticking like glue to Bonds in the batting cage.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry Bonds could probably write you a check for $50,000,000. Love him or hate him, my guess is this is about the love of the game and nothing more.

I can write you a check for 50MM - that doesn't mean it wouldn't bounce

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wonder if he's gonna take over the coaches locker room with his multiple recliners and entourage ?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree with you guys on the hitting tips. If I were a guy like Brandon Belt, I'd be sticking like glue to Bonds in the batting cage.

Meh.

If I wanted to learn the game of baseball, I would go to his Godfather WAAAAAY before I would go to Bonds for anything.

But, then again, I like people that are by and large nice to others, so.......