• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Band of Brothers and The Pacific

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About once every 5 years I kill an entire day watching this. About due. Talk about a time when men were men.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Band of Brothers is 15 years old this month. One of my favorite mini-series and really really well done. I could still rewatch it if I see it on.

Dios mio, that makes me feel old. Like when Jurassic Park hit 20 years.

BoB is outrageously good. For years, I'd rewatch it every winter - something about watching the Bastogne episode during that season - but I haven't watched it in a few years (mostly because now I have kids, so the time I have to watch anything has been significantly reduced).

I'm going to make a point to fire it up again this winter. Maybe roll into The Pacific after.

I agree with most of the commenters on this thread that while The Pacific was good, it pales in comparison to Band of Brothers, though I'm not convinced that's is so much because of The Pacific's shortcoming as much as it is how great Brothers is.

Kind of reminds me of another HBO series, True Detective. The second season wasn't bad and likely would have stood on its own fairly well, but when put on balance opposite of the first season's masterpiece, it just seems lacking. Of course, the perception of season two could have been significantly improved had Rachael McAdams taken off her clothes in every episode - she just doesn't care about her art enough, I guess. . .

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about a time when men were men.

Word.

Reminds me of this:

bnGloTsfIx7fwHyJ12ulcgA22s-9GbPXHzhB7AERn_U.jpg

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No my friend...."Fucking Word" :thumb: We are in trouble at some point (it's a matter of time) with the character of folks we are raising.
I think people have in fact gotten worse and they have more places where they can display their asshole tendencies.

I also agree that some people are just too soft.

So, there are basically two fronts on which we are failing in regards to character. People just plainly suck all around.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No my friend...."Fucking Word" :thumb: We are in trouble at some point (it's a matter of time) with the character of folks we are raising.

I've got a seven year old and a five year old. So many of the books we read and narritives we get from school are focused around "don't bully." As someone who was picked on, and also (regrettably) did my share of picking on, I think that's an important message, but I rarely hear the "sticks and stones" message that I remember as a kid, which I feel is even more important. I'm doing my best to teach them that.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people have in fact gotten worse and they have more places where they can display their asshole tendencies.

I also agree that some people are just too soft.

So, there are basically two fronts on which we are failing in regards to character. People just plainly suck all around.
I don't think people have gotten worse. There are plenty of examples where things have improved since WW2 from a social standpoint. The way minorities, gays, and women are viewed is a huge improvement as far as I am concerned. Social improvements are great...just, many of the things that come along with this social progression are the things I have an issue with. In the most basic form it boils down to 3 things...

#1. 92% of the population is required to pay extra so 8% "feel" better. Not only feel better, but experience "NO" perceived inconvenience along the way.

#2. THIS MOVEMENT IS OVER THE TOP! We have went from man, woman, gay dude, gay gal, bisexual and drag queen to over a hundred different genders. Dude that cuts a hole in a stuffed doll my little ponies ass and fucks it is all good and listed on some college applications.

#3. Probably most importantly, we have lost the value of leadership. This whole participation trophy, you're not better than the most stupid person in the room, and if you really are...it is of no value to the collective.

Dudes, we are fucked in the long run here. It is going to take a HUGE financial and societal bottoming out before being a real man (totally respective of and still understanding women are equal, but different) are awaken again.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks a lot. Now what am I supposed to do with this boner at the office?
Going to be one of those posts I regret to be sure. This is why I only make one post a month in the Political Forum, and it is usually a total troll.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a seven year old and a five year old. So many of the books we read and narritives we get from school are focused around "don't bully." As someone who was picked on, and also (regrettably) did my share of picking on, I think that's an important message, but I rarely hear the "sticks and stones" message that I remember as a kid, which I feel is even more important. I'm doing my best to teach them that.

Get them into karate classes, fool.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not like The Pacific. Spent too much time on certain characters instead of showing the intensity of that conflict.

They did jack shit on Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Grade: F-.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think people have gotten worse. There are plenty of examples where things have improved since WW2 from a social standpoint. The way minorities, gays, and women are viewed is a huge improvement as far as I am concerned. Social improvements are great...just, many of the things that come along with this social progression are the things I have an issue with. In the most basic form it boils down to 3 things...

#1. 92% of the population is required to pay extra so 8% "feel" better. Not only feel better, but experience "NO" perceived inconvenience along the way.

#2. THIS MOVEMENT IS OVER THE TOP! We have went from man, woman, gay dude, gay gal, bisexual and drag queen to over a hundred different genders. Dude that cuts a hole in a stuffed doll my little ponies ass and fucks it is all good and listed on some college applications.

#3. Probably most importantly, we have lost the value of leadership. This whole participation trophy, you're not better than the most stupid person in the room, and if you really are...it is of no value to the collective.

Dudes, we are fucked in the long run here. It is going to take a HUGE financial and societal bottoming out before being a real man (totally respective of and still understanding women are equal, but different) are awaken again.
If people haven't gotten worse, than we are allowing people to assholes in a much more public manner. The world has become a unmoderated forum.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The opening/closing music of BOB gets me every time!

I'm watching it again right now

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been doing a rewatch over the last few days.

Greatest thing ever put on “film”. No movie is better. No tv show is better.

And OMG, the cast... Simon Pegg. Michael Fassbender. Tom Hardy. James McAvoy. Jimmy Fallon. And these are just a few of the almost extras. And a ton more guys who have developed strong careers, if not having immediately recognizable names (Elon Bailey, Michael Cudlitz, Scott Grimes, Damien Lewis, Ron Livingston, Neil McDonough, Dale Dye...). And of course guys who brought big names before (Wahlberg and Schwimmer come first to mind)

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word.

Reminds me of this:

bnGloTsfIx7fwHyJ12ulcgA22s-9GbPXHzhB7AERn_U.jpg
Hard times create hard men.

Hard men create easy times.

Easy times create weak men.

Weak men create hard times.

Hard times create hard men.

….

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk of BoB in another thread got me searching…

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those not aware, these have been added to Netflix.

I'm working through Pacific now. BoB to follow.