• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Band of Brothers and The Pacific

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen BoB probably 8 times. I absolutely LOVE it. The acting, the writing, the emotions... All stellar. One of the very best shows ever, TV or cinema.

However, I never got around to watching The Pacific until now. I just finished chapter 7 last night, and should finish it up completely by the end of the week.

So far, while it is good, it does not hold a candle to BoB. Did Spielberg and Hanks get lazy with this one? The cast is not half as impressive (how many acting careers BLEW UP after BoB vs the relative obscurity maintained by the vast majority of the cast of TP) and the story-telling just does not grab the imagination.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought The Pacific was still very good. But BOB gave it so much to live up to that it was never going to be held in the same regard.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pacific sucked a bag of dicks.

Ever see "Smokey and the Bandit 2"
yeah, a lot like that.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen BoB probably 8 times. I absolutely LOVE it. The acting, the writing, the emotions... All stellar. One of the very best shows ever, TV or cinema.

However, I never got around to watching The Pacific until now. I just finished chapter 7 last night, and should finish it up completely by the end of the week.

So far, while it is good, it does not hold a candle to BoB. Did Spielberg and Hanks get lazy with this one? The cast is not half as impressive (how many acting careers BLEW UP after BoB vs the relative obscurity maintained by the vast majority of the cast of TP) and the story-telling just does not grab the imagination.

I liked The Pacific but did not think it was as good as Band Of Brothers. The cast has not blown up but I thought James Badge Dale and Rami Malek were fantastic.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked The Pacific but did not think it was as good as Band Of Brothers. The cast has not blown up but I thought James Badge Dale and Rami Malek were fantastic.
Agree about Malek. I had never noticed him pre-Mr Robot, so seeing him in something new is fun. I actually really like Snafu. He seems to be quite protective of Sledge (I just saw the scene where Sledge wanted to take teeth).

I also agree about Dale. I am surprised I have not seen him elsewhere by now.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like The Pacific more than Band of Brothers which is weird because usually I prefer the European theater stories of WW2 more.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree about Malek. I had never noticed him pre-Mr Robot, so seeing him in something new is fun. I actually really like Snafu. He seems to be quite protective of Sledge (I just saw the scene where Sledge wanted to take teeth).

I also agree about Dale. I am surprised I have not seen him elsewhere by now.

You haven't watched a lot then. JBD for some reason doesn't nail starring roles but he's in a lot. And outside of Lewis in the Pacific he's probably "blown up" the most and is the best actor of the shows. Guy is insanely good.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven't watched a lot then. JBD for some reason doesn't nail starring roles but he's in a lot. And outside of Lewis in the Pacific he's probably "blown up" the most and is the best actor of the shows. Guy is insanely good.
I glanced at Dale's IMDB page, and didnt notice anything I recognized. I cant look at it now (IMDB is blocked at work), but I will look again when I get home tonight.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I glanced at Dale's IMDB page, and didnt notice anything I recognized. I cant look at it now (IMDB is blocked at work), but I will look again when I get home tonight.

Killed Leo in the Departed for 1 lol

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he was in three big movies last summer and died in all three. Iron Man 3, World War Z, and The Lone Ranger.

He was also really good in an AMC show called Rubicon. The show was really up and down though.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he was in three big movies last summer and died in all three. Iron Man 3, World War Z, and The Lone Ranger.

He was also really good in an AMC show called Rubicon. The show was really up and down though.

Yeah he was the sick dying man in flight. Took that small role over a bigger one cuz of the role.

Stretch is one of those hidden gems(real solid movie) him and Pine are awesome as wack jobs.

Was also in 24 if anyone watched that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically he has been in minor roles in a bunch of decent-sized projects. So if I hadnt seen Pacific before-hand, I never would have noticed him.

That is my definition of "not doing anything".

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically he has been in minor roles in a bunch of decent-sized projects. So if I hadnt seen Pacific before-hand, I never would have noticed him.

That is my definition of "not doing anything".

*supporting roles. He's almost always a key to the story. With a few leads in movies(1 coming up) and TV leads.

He's the most well known and popular outside Lewis due to Homeland mostly. Check his imdb page. Almost all praise for the guy, no matter who you are it's rare to not have trolls come out.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he was the sick dying man in flight. Took that small role over a bigger one cuz of the role.

Stretch is one of those hidden gems(real solid movie) him and Pine are awesome as wack jobs.

Was also in 24 if anyone watched that.

Oh yeah, I forget about Chase in 24!

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had the same problem when I first watched The Pacific. It's really unfair to hold it to the standards set by BoB. I rewatched The Pacific about 2 years after it originally aired and enjoyed it significantly more the 2nd time around because I went into open minded instead of comparing it to BoB. So yes, Band of Brothers was a masterpiece but The Pacific was still very enjoyable.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't care about any of the characters in The Pacific. They're just guys who had some shit happen to them. The only character development I even remember in the whole series was the guy pissing himself. Whereas when you watch BoB you become part of their group. You hate David Schwimmer right along with them. You're heartbroken when one of your guys dies. You're horrified the same as they are when they first stumble onto a concentration camp. Band of Brothers takes you along on the journey. The Pacific just shows you some random guys on a different journey.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's harder to find good source material for the shit that went on with the Pacific Front.

Most people today just don't know their history well enough to understand how little the vets on that front were willing to talk about their experiences compared to the relative luxury of those on the Western Front.

I didn't go into The Pacific expecting the same kind of storytelling that went on with BoB because it was so different. I thought it was amazing, really.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't care about any of the characters in The Pacific. They're just guys who had some shit happen to them. The only character development I even remember in the whole series was the guy pissing himself. Whereas when you watch BoB you become part of their group. You hate David Schwimmer right along with them. You're heartbroken when one of your guys dies. You're horrified the same as they are when they first stumble onto a concentration camp. Band of Brothers takes you along on the journey. The Pacific just shows you some random guys on a different journey.

That was most of it.
I just didn't care.
And it made the whole thing one long turd.