• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Badgers announced their new defensive coordinator

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping for Nate Woody but I guess they're really impressed with Jim Lehnard. This little guy has been beating the odds his entire career given his size and where he came from. He excelled at Wisconsin and in the NFL as a safety. He was hired as a secondary coach last year in his first year ever as a coach. He did very well. At 34 years old he just became the defensive coordinator of one the best defenses in the country for the past half decade. Congrats to Jim, and I wish him nothing but the best in his career. I think he will make a fine DC but still worried due to lack of experience. He does bring that NFL level experience and has played in a 3-4 for a while. The players all love playing for him and respect him.

Badgers great Jim Leonhard named new Wisconsin defensive coordinator

7_4907962.jpg

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leonhard’s impact on the Badgers’ secondary was immediate. His unit was instrumental in the Badgers grabbing 22 interceptions, a total that ranked second in the FBS and marked UW’s highest output since 2002, when Leonhard himself recorded a school-record 11 of UW’s 22 picks.

The secondary contributed to an overall effort that saw the Badgers finish the season ranked No. 4 nationally in scoring defense (15.6 points per game), No. 7 in total defense (301.4 yards per game), No. 3 in rushing defense (98.8 yards per game) and No. 10 in passing efficiency defense (106.9).

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When interviewing Rex Ryan last spring, the former Buffalo Bills and New York Jetshead coach gushed about Leonhard and his ability to pick up and lead his defenses. The Tony, Wis., native acclimated to Ryan’s 3-4 scheme immediately upon his arrival as a Baltimore Ravens free agent, and when Ryan later took over the Jets, Leonhard was one of the first defensive players he brought over. Ryan also shared an anecdote in Walk-On This Way about how Leonhard joked that he knew the defense better than Ryan’s defensive coordinator, Mike Pettine.

Leonhard’s intelligence and experience was highly sought-after in his later years. He played with the Denver Broncos, then with the Buffalo Bills and finished up with the Cleveland Browns—those last two years under Pettine and his scheme—as a player but also a pseudo-coach in adjusting other players to that style of defense.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh Wisconsin got a new coach?

color me shocked.

1ashock14.gif

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i liked watching leonhard play, smart player that played bigger than his measurables, pretty tough dude.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping for Nate Woody but I guess they're really impressed with Jim Lehnard. This little guy has been beating the odds his entire career given his size and where he came from. He excelled at Wisconsin and in the NFL as a safety. He was hired as a secondary coach last year in his first year ever as a coach. He did very well. At 34 years old he just became the defensive coordinator of one the best defenses in the country for the past half decade. Congrats to Jim, and I wish him nothing but the best in his career. I think he will make a fine DC but still worried due to lack of experience. He does bring that NFL level experience and has played in a 3-4 for a while. The players all love playing for him and respect him.

Badgers great Jim Leonhard named new Wisconsin defensive coordinator

7_4907962.jpg
Wisconsin hit a home run on this hire.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i liked watching leonhard play, smart player that played bigger than his measurables, pretty tough dude.

Yep, nothing was ever handed to him as he had to work hard for everything he received.

He was a walk on and an UFA yet had a really solid NFL career and now is the defensive coordinator of one of the best defenses in the country. I dare anyone to underestimate this dude.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... Jim Leonhard must have a hella instinctive mind for football to receive a promotion as a B1G DC in only his second year of coaching! He was still playing in the NFL in 2014.

From what I've read, Leonhard has an excellent grasp of the game... football supposedly comes 'naturally' for him.

Good luck to the Badgers defense under the new Leonhard era.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin hit a home run on this hire.

The one negative against him is he doesn't have that excellent track record. However, after watching him and the team and his recruiting abilities from last year to this year it's easy to see that he's a natural at this. He's very smart, the kids love playing for him and he knows this 3-4 scheme like the back of his hand. Now he has to prove himself all over again like he has his entire career. I was a little concerned at first since we didn't get Nate but this is the best move for the future since he's young and I feel like he will stay with us for a long time just like Paul Chryst as they're Badgers for life. He has to be the youngest D coordinator of the P5 conferences.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh Wisconsin got a new coach?

color me shocked.

1ashock14.gif
Because their DC was promoted to head coach elsewhere... if your coach keeps sending players to the hospital you might be getting a new one too.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh hire.

Last edited:

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And saying he's a great hire because the DB's had so many interceptions is such a bogus claim.

Turnovers are incredibly random. You can field an elite defense and only have a few INTs. It's never a consistent stat even with the best squads.

Will watch from afar with extreme skepticism.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And saying he's a great hire because the DB's had so many interceptions is such a bogus claim.

Turnovers are incredibly random. You can field an elite defense and only have a few INTs. It's never a consistent stat even with the best squads.

Will watch from afar with extreme skepticism.

So if Wisconsin gets their share of INT's again this season, what will your excuse be?

"B-b-b-b-b-but they're so incredibleee rayunnndommmm!!"

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if Wisconsin gets their share of INT's again this season, what will your excuse be?

I would be a little more concerned with OSU finding the end zone.That OSU offense just doesn't impress me. Im really not impressed with Barrett. Their best receiver was RB Curtis Samuel and he declared for the draft. Unless they got a gem in Grimes or Harris. I just don't think they have the weapons.

Wisconsins defense is Nasty Leonhard was a great hire. Penn State may have the best QB in the B1G. The B1G could very well be between Wisconsin and Penn State again. Michigan will also push for the conference. And Nebraska did a lot of great things on signing day. I expect them to be on the upswing. Its going to be an interesting season in the B1g

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be a little more concerned with OSU finding the end zone.That OSU offense just doesn't impress me. Im really not impressed with Barrett. Their best receiver was RB Curtis Samuel and he declared for the draft. Unless they got a gem in Grimes or Harris. I just don't think they have the weapons.

Wisconsins defense is Nasty Leonhard was a great hire. Penn State may have the best QB in the B1G. The B1G could very well be between Wisconsin and Penn State again. Michigan will also push for the conference. And Nebraska did a lot of great things on signing day. I expect them to be on the upswing. Its going to be an interesting season in the B1g

Who mentioned anything about OSU? I dont give a shit what your opinion of them might be

But anyway, yeah, congrats to coach Leonhard, happy for him

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who mentioned anything about OSU? I dont give a shit what your opinion of them might be

But anyway, yeah, congrats to coach Leonhard, happy for him
I wouldn't be mocking Wisconsin's defense if I was an OSU fan but...... With what Wisky did with Wilcox who was awful at SC. I can only see Leonhard improving that Wisky defense.Btw if you didn't care you wouldn't reply or acknowledge me.I would be worried about Wisky tho major upgrade to their staff.

Last edited:

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be mocking Wisconsin's defense if I was an OSU fan but...... With what Wisky did with Wilcox who was awful at SC. I can only see Leonhard improving that Wisky defense.Btw if you didn't care you wouldn't reply or acknowledge me.I would be worried about Wisky tho major upgrade to their staff.

wait, you took my post as mocking Wisconsin???

Read it again, dipshit. I was being sincere.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wait, you took my post as mocking Wisconsin???

Read it again, dipshit. I was being sincere.
Seemed sarcastic I am glad you care tho :dhd: