• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bad scenario

RhojiF

Rhoji
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This might sound crazy, but if Tennessee gets Manning then I hope they release Hasselbeck. Hass would be a better option than Smith to get that ring.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry if you guys miss out on Manning and Smith leaves for greener pastures, the Seahawks will be more than happy to send you Tarvaris Jackson. :D

I'd rather have Janet Jackson under center. Hell, I'll take Michael Jackson before Tavaris. And yes I know he's dead.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Alex goes to Miami and Manning goes to Tennessee we're screwed. Hasselback is not an upgrade over Alex and neither is anyone left on the market. We go from a sure bet to win the division and challenge for a Super Bowl to praying CK doesn't screw this team up. It would also be a huge blow to the team morale to lose Alex and not get Peyton.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Alex goes to Miami and Manning goes to Tennessee we're screwed. Hasselback is not an upgrade over Alex and neither is anyone left on the market. We go from a sure bet to win the division and challenge for a Super Bowl to praying CK doesn't screw this team up. It would also be a huge blow to the team morale to lose Alex and not get Peyton.

I guess you have to take a chance. I think what Smith is upset with perhaps is the secrecy of the matter. What difference would it have made if the Niners had done it out in the open? People here have repeated that it's not a slight or surprise that we'd be interested in him. It's not like we are pursuing Garrard, Quinn, or Tebow. The media is there now like they would have been if we were not secretive (not suggesting we should be flashy either). This after offering low guaranteed money, making it easier to replace him?

You can't forget that he has been screwed over by coaches (though the FO was good for him) and now he could see the FO being an issue. I think his confidence in himself is still there, but he's got to be second guessing everything else. Things would have gone better, IMO, if they had been open. I'm not suggesting to not go for Manning. It just seems the low guaranteed money and not wanting anyone to know about our interest in Manning if he didn't come was a bit greedy. If the leak was ok, maybe Alex could have been told first - respectfully, this is Manning we are talking about.

Either way, I'm glad Smith is looking after himself finally, though I do hope he can come back to the same deal. No apology increase is needed. Ordinary compromise is ok if it's reasonable. The gtd amounthas not been released, so that could be increased a bit without being obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This might sound crazy, but if Tennessee gets Manning then I hope they release Hasselbeck. Hass would be a better option than Smith to get that ring.

It is crazy because Smith actually had a better year than Hasselbeck did and Hasselbeck's ability to stay healthy for a full year is pretty questionable.

The best course of action if no Manning or Smith would be to go with CK and let's see what he's got.

We did trade up and to grab him in the second round and he was hand chosen by our coach who's supposed to be a QB guru.

So he was clearly planned to be the future all along so might as well break him in now and see what he's got rather than waste a year going nowhere with washed up vets or mighthavebeens.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry if you guys miss out on Manning and Smith leaves for greener pastures, the Seahawks will be more than happy to send you Tarvaris Jackson. :D

I'd rather you send us smallpox covered blankets.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alex Smith was a complete bum before Harbaugh, if Smith goes to Miami then I have no problem with David Hasslehoff or Josh Johnson from Tampa Bay as our starter. Please dont act like Smith was that good, Harbaugh made Smith this year, I have the outmost confidence in Harbaugh finding a QB to throw the ball to Moss and Manningham, not hard to do

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

well, a lot of fans here want Manning, so now they're going after him. fans have to live with whatever happens.

its not over.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I always feel like the Hasselbeck debate is like a definitive test whether or not someone is a rational or irrational Smith critic.

FYI, the last year Hasselbeck had a higher QB rating than Smith was 2007. That is a bit of a trick, because Smith was out 2008.....but the other three years Smith has *significantly* outplayed him. And now Hasselbeck is like 85 years old. Saying we should get him is pretty much a sign you'd take anyone else you've heard of.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hasselback might be an old fart, but u know u will get solid play from him. nothing spectacular, but solid. imo it's a great measuring stick for a qb like kap. if he can't clearly beat out an old fart like hasselback, grab a clipboard and tray again next year.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Nailed it...

Most understated, least thought through comment...Smith may not be what you want...but you know what you've got; the starting QB that was at the helm when the team went to the NFC Championship game when they were supposed to be rebuilding for several years...

Would not be upset in the least if we sign Manning and develop CK or Tolzien or someone else...but to walk away with out Smith or Manning is an abject failure...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nailed it...

Most understated, least thought through comment...Smith may not be what you want...but you know what you've got; the starting QB that was at the helm when the team went to the NFC Championship game when they were supposed to be rebuilding for several years...

Would not be upset in the least if we sign Manning and develop CK or Tolzien or someone else...but to walk away with out Smith or Manning is an abject failure...

some don't realize the grass isnt always greener

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Smith and Manning both do not end up on the 49ers, I think Baalke and Harbaugh have calculated that this is possible, and I believe they will go with CK. They *MUST* have enough confidence in him, otherwise they would not play this risky game.

Personally, I would want CK to start, and I would be fine signing some vet to back him up for a 1 or 2 year deal, like a Jason Campbell or even McNabb.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
out of all the qb suggestions last offseason, smith outperformed them all. so was the grass greener last year as well?

u must have a short memory