• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Baalke's interesting way of progressing the 49ers

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At first glance it looked as if the 49ers were leaving no stone unturned, but it's unusual the way he has filled out the roster thus far. Signing Moss, Ginn, Manningham then drafting Jenkins. They're coming onto a team that has two solid receivers such as Crabtree and Kyle Williams. And at the RB position he has signed Jacobs, Cartright, and drafted Lamichael James. The Niners already have Gore, Miller, Dixon, and Hunter to hold down the RB position. Are we creating competition on purpose even if it most likely will result in the releasing of signees just brought aboard?

I read recently in a thread on here that this amount of competition will keep player(s) from being too comfortable(a la Crabtree). At the WR position, I agree it was necessary to create competition, but our RBs pose as fairly hard workers. Is Baalke handling the offense the right way?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first glance it looked as if the 49ers were leaving no stone unturned, but it's unusual the way he has filled out the roster thus far. Signing Moss, Ginn, Manningham then drafting Jenkins. They're coming onto a team that has two solid receivers such as Crabtree and Kyle Williams. And at the RB position he has signed Jacobs, Cartright, and drafted Lamichael James. The Niners already have Gore, Miller, Dixon, and Hunter to hold down the RB position. Are we creating competition on purpose even if it most likely will result in the releasing of signees just brought aboard?

I read recently in a thread on here that this amount of competition will keep player(s) from being too comfortable(a la Crabtree). At the WR position, I agree it was necessary to create competition, but our RBs pose as fairly hard workers. Is Baalke handling the offense the right way?

I think there's a few things to take into account here. Miller was a FB so not really in the discussion with regard to the half-backs. Cartright was brought in really for ST's more than anything else. Dixon has hardly been used, even when Gore has been nicked up. Jacobs might be the biggest head scratcher for me. I'm not really sold on him being brought in as a short yardage guy, he's never really done well as a feature back, he's on a one year deal. I think he was brought in becuase they wanted a little more depth and they really didn't expect to have a shot at James.

As far as HB's with a locked-up roster spot, I'd say it's Gore, Hunter and James. After that, it really depends on camp and ST's needs. So basically, with all the "additions," it could end up with only one of the on the 53 (though I'd bet there's one more for ST's).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a top QB, I think this is the smart way to improve the offense. Obviously Smith isn't in the top group of QBs in the NFL, while CK, Tolzien or Johnson haven't proven themselves to be a top QB either.

So, without the superstar QB, I think as a GM I'd bring in lots of WRs and RBs in an attempt at creating such a talented offense that the skill positions can carry the QB... until a QB steps up to carry the offense.

Plus, if one of the QBs does step up and turn into one of the best in the NFL... it certainly won't hurt to have a really good group of WRs and RBs.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think there's a few things to take into account here. Miller was a FB so not really in the discussion with regard to the half-backs. Cartright was brought in really for ST's more than anything else. Dixon has hardly been used, even when Gore has been nicked up. Jacobs might be the biggest head scratcher for me. I'm not really sold on him being brought in as a short yardage guy, he's never really done well as a feature back, he's on a one year deal. I think he was brought in becuase they wanted a little more depth and they really didn't expect to have a shot at James.

As far as HB's with a locked-up roster spot, I'd say it's Gore, Hunter and James. After that, it really depends on camp and ST's needs. So basically, with all the "additions," it could end up with only one of the on the 53 (though I'd bet there's one more for ST's).

I purposely used the phrase RBs over HBs because I was also including the FB position. Seldom do you see teams carry two FBs now-a-days (Yes, I'm considering Cartwright a FB). I know Cartwright holds some ST value as does Dixon but they aren't irreplaceable. Let's say we do keep six RBs on the team: Gore, Jacobs, Lamichael, Hunter, Miller, and Cartright. That certainly is going to make another position thin, but where?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I purposely used the phrase RBs over HBs because I was also including the FB position. Seldom do you see teams carry two FBs now-a-days (Yes, I'm considering Cartwright a FB). I know Cartwright holds some ST value as does Dixon but they aren't irreplaceable. Let's say we do keep six RBs on the team: Gore, Jacobs, Lamichael, Hunter, Miller, and Cartright. That certainly is going to make another position thin, but where?

LB

Cartright is basically filling in that special team ace role that Costanzo held last season so we'll just go one heavier on RB and one lighter on LB.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also alot of the signed players were signed with team friendly deals so its no big deal

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacobs is not a lock to make the team with James being drafted. They signed him as an insurance in case Gore got hurt. If Gore went down Jacobs could step in as the starter and Hunter could stay in his role as a change of pace back. Jacobs could also be used as a power back in our big packages. Just think of Sop and an extra lineman running in front of a big guy like Jacobs. That is like a freight train coming through the defense.

I still think Jacobs make the team in that exact role, but James will be taking some carries and plays from him.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who are the two solid receivers? Williams was a rookie, so he gets a pass, but Crabtree is an irrelevant bust. I wouldn't call him "solid." Or relevant. I fully expect he'll be either in another jersey or out of the league in two years.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A few thoughts on this subject.

As far as doubling up (or more) on positions, the James pick was the biggest surprise for me. He's got the makings of an impact player in a Sproles mold, but I really like Hunter, and they are very similar. Now, I happen to think Hunter can be a guy who gets quite a bit of the load on first and second down in the Ray Rice mold, so if we plan to go with a committee of Hunter, James, and a bruiser, I can certainly live with that. It was just a shock to me when the pick came through given that I had envisioned Hunter as being more of a third-down guy.

I also didn't like the Jacobs pick. I don't like Jacobs. He's a lot of talk, but he's one of the softest big RBs in the league IMO. He hasn't been very effective in short yardage situations historically, and in a lot of ways he reminds me of an older Dixon. I know the staff is pretty down on Dixon, and Jacobs has been effective at getting into the end zone, but I'm not a fan of signing a 30-year-old RB. Frankly, I'm rooting for Dixon to view this as a kick in the pants and step up his game. That would be best-case scenario, especially as he's a decent STs guy.

At WR, I don't question any of the moves. We desperately need competition at that spot. I'm high on Williams (who will be entering his third year, Warty, not his second), but we need four guys at that spot who can really contribute, and Williams was never a consistent threat for us this past year. I like Crabtree more than most, but I still view him as a #2 rather than a #1. I'm hoping that one of the best things about bringing in Moss, Manningham, and Jenkins is that is will light a fire under Crabby's ass and make him step up his game. I think we've already started to see some of this, with him getting in for voluntary workouts and looking pretty good early on. If Moss, Jenkins, and Manningham can stretch the field and clear out some space, I think Crabtree can be effective in the short and middle depths.

My biggest concern about the offseason - which I generally thought was quite good - was not adding more depth along the OL. I hope it's a sign that we are high on RJF, Dobbs, Williams, and Tukuafu, but I don't know. And with Sop and RJF FAs after this season, that could become an area of some concern. We shall see.

Very excited for the season, though. I think we've got some pieces in place that should help this team improve on both sides of the ball. Though I said that last year with Edwards coming in....

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm hoping dixon is motivated in camp and beats out jacobs. not holding out hope, but in may that's what we have.