• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Baalke needs to take some of the blame

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
so great still isn't good enough? how many other NFL GM's are in the 'great' category?

I never said it wasn't good enough, but I'm still annoyed at these moves. And it's not because of how they worked out; I was saying this before we could see what was going to happen.

Great GMs? Ozzie Newsome, Jerry Reese, Belichick, Ted Thompson, Kevin Kolbert... and maybe Trent Baalke.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here have been my biggest beefs with Baalke since he's been a GM:

1. Not signing / trading for a big-name WR. The Niners have needed a deep threat at WR since Alex Smith was a free agent. Mike Wallace when he was a RFA, Mike Wallace when he was an URFA, Steve Smith when he was on the block... They needed to make that one move to put the roster over the top IMO, and they didn't do it. Settling for the WR corps they've had the last 2 years (Randy Moss) was a huge mistake. And I did not like the AJ Jenkins pick; they should've traded up for Decastro or taken Janoris / Cordy Glenn.

2. Sticking with Goodwin. He has ALWAYS been riding Iupati's / Boone's coat tails. He sucks. The OL could have been AMAZING with even a good center; Goodiwn is like a big ol' canker sore on an otherwise great OL.

3. Settling for Donte Whitner. He can't cover. It's more important to be able to cover than to be a leader / hit hard. And the few good plays he's made this season isn't going to trick me into thinking he's not a liability in the passing game.

4. Not cutting Carlos Rogers & signing a CB. :gaah:

5. Letting Ted Ginn Jr. go. :(

6. Neglecting D-line depth (last year). I was extremely worried about this at the beginning of 2012, and it ended up being one of the biggest reasons the Ravens scored at will.

These issues were bigger priorities than... say... signing Bowman to a contract extension.

Baalke's done a great job, but some of the problems with this team that NEVER seem to get better just boggle my mind. Kind of like the delay of game crap (which isn't Baalke's fault of course).

Translation: We should have ZERO holes right now.

Mmk.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Translation: We should have ZERO holes right now.

Mmk.

"Should?" I don't know about "should," but I was talking about this stuff before it happened, and it baffles me how some of these problems weren't addressed. And the suggestions I made before the preseason would have address every single one of the "holes" we should or should not have right now. It baffles me how the Niners settled for either expensive, crappy players like Goodwin & Whitner or a player who shouldn't have even made the team like Kyle suck bag Williams.

Pretend Kap has been having a great season so far, but he still runs out of bounds for a loss rather than throw the ball away. I wouldn't be saying, "cut him!" But I'd be baffled how that is still happening.

That said, I think Baakle hit a grand slam in the 2013 draft, and Tank is going to make him look a lot smarter when he gets acclimated.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's another way of putting it:

"holes" I can understand. But not addressing holes at all I can not. And if the Niners should have holes, they should not be at positions where the player is a highly-paid veteran. And settling for players like Randy Moss and Kyle Williams was inexcuseable IMO.