• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B10 trying to add Texas and OU (again)

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only room for 2? Why is 16 a magic number? What about 18, or 17, or 15?

Remember there is talk going around about conferences possibly considering going division-less. Eliminate divisions and suddenly conferences with an odd number of members would be fine.

Also.... Notre Dame is not AAU but the B1G would take the Irish in a heartbeat. AAU is a preference, but not a requirement for B1G membership.
I like 18 for the sole purpose of maintaining divisions but it's not a must . My dream outcome ( if we can't get ND ) would be

B10 West
Oklahoma.
Kansas
Texas
Wisky
Iowa
Minnesota
NW
Nebraska
Illinois

B10 East
OSU
Michigan
PSU
MSU
WVU
Indiana
Maryland
Purdue
Rutgers

Youd have great balance for football and the best basketball conference by a wide margin

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like 18 for the sole purpose of maintaining divisions but it's not a must . My dream outcome ( if we can't get ND ) would be

B10 West
Oklahoma.
Kansas
Texas
Wisky
Iowa
Minnesota
NW
Nebraska
Illinois

B10 East
OSU
Michigan
PSU
MSU
WVU
Indiana
Maryland
Purdue
Rutgers

Youd have great balance for football and the best basketball conference by a wide margin
Dream outcome should have Texas in Marylands division

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only room for 2? Why is 16 a magic number? What about 18, or 17, or 15?

Remember there is talk going around about conferences possibly considering going division-less. Eliminate divisions and suddenly conferences with an odd number of members would be fine.

Also.... Notre Dame is not AAU but the B1G would take the Irish in a heartbeat. AAU is a preference, but not a requirement for B1G membership.

I think 18 is possible for conferences but 16 seems to work better for scheduling purposes which is why we've heard 16 consistently mentioned. For a conference to go over that, I would think they would have to get some programs they really want - as in the example I mentioned of the SEC being willing to take 4 rather than 2 if those 4 programs were UNC, NC State, UVA and Va Tech essentially handing them control of North Carolina and Virginia which is what they most want.

At 16 you can have 4 pods of 4 teams each. Play everybody in your pod every year and play 2 teams on a rotating basis for each of the other pods. Every team would cycle through every other in the conference home and home (assuming a 9 game conference schedule) every 8 years. That's faster than the SEC and Big 10 and ACC are cycling through all the members right now.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True . I feel like WV is in the south even though I know it's not lol. I bet it's still 15 degrees average warmer there in November than up here though

You’d be wrong. Morgantown is 3 hours from happy valley, a place you mentioned as “north”. No it’s not 15 degrees warmer there.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season. And we beat you the year before, but worse.

IdealRespectfulEeve-small.gif

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas

If this were to actually happen 1. it would be awesome 2. it would effectively kill the B12 and might cause the 4 16 team power conferences that people have been talking about.

Adding Nebraska was such a smashing success. I can see why we’d be going after OU and Texas too.

Can we trade the Big 12 Rutgers and Illinois for OU and Texas?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska and Iowa offer nothing, and again the state of Texas would have to supply all the talent for this dreadful division just to stay competitive. Texas gains nothing in this deal, except more mouths to feed recruiting wise.

Texas wants nothing to do with the B1G. They got smacked around two years in a row by a B1G bottom feeder.
At least in the Big 12, they can just blame OU for ruining their chances. If they come to the B1G, they’d have multiple teams to blame.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with all conference except the SEC is parity. The SEC has manage to create the illusion that its bottom half is better than the top half of the other conference. By doing so, the top 3 or 4 teams clobber the others and then say their SOS is great. Parity in the other leagues causes the champion to often have 1 or 2 losses and in the minds of the pollsters down grades the league in general. But even though almost no team can beat Georgia or Alabama the SEC is considered the best because it has two dominant teams and 3 above average teams (LSU, Auburn and Florida). Alabama and Georgia would be dominate in any league but the 3 teams mentioned would be on par with Wisconsin, Penn State, Michigan St, Michigan, Ohio St., Iowa, Stanford, USC, Washington, Clemson, Florida State, Oklahoma, Texas, West Virginia and of course independent Notre Dame.