• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

At what point in the draft do we select a QB?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it seems as though we are in a great position to take a QB in the later rounds. Guys like Matt Barkley, Landry Jones (my personal favorite), Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson, Ryan Nassib, EJ Manuel and Mike Glennon could all fall to the 2nd round and later. At what point should we draft a QB prospect to groom as our backup QB?

A lot of mock drafts I've seen have Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, and Landry Jones going in the 3rd round or later. I'd like to see us go after Landry Jones or Tyler Wilson with one of our 3rd round picks. They could be absolute steals that late in the draft.

The past years have shown backup QB's are one of the more important positions on any team (especially for tittle contenders). Either they are able to step up like Kaep did this year and we keep him, or other teams will show interest and we can trade them. With our coaching staff we should be picking someone else up to compete with Tolzein and to groom them for the the off chance that Kaep goes down.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see us bring Johnson back

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the point at which there is solid value.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

jim-carrey-dumb-and-dumber.gif

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You could draft a sleeper after the first round and develop him — that’s how San Francisco got Joe Montana (3rd round), how New England got Tom Brady (6th round), how San Diego got Dan Fouts (3rd round), how Green Bay got Bart Starr (17th round!). But you should know, since 1950, more than half the quarterbacks taken second round or later (56.6 percent if you’re scoring at home) never started a single game in the NFL.

prior to Kap starting, was very cautious about expecting too much from him. he obviously blew that away. we got some luck in this case, defied the odds.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The position is so heavily examined when it comes the draft it's hard to find any gems outside the 1st round.

What we need to find is a guy like CK in that they are physically gifted with a good head on their shoulders but raw and need some polishing up.

Fortunately Harbaugh is excellent when it comes to coaching up QBs so backup QB is the least of my worries. We'll select one in the draft and whoever it is I'm confident that Harbaugh and staff will coach them up into something.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we bring him back does his dead money come off the books? Half-kidding, half sincere question. I doubt it does but that would be kinda' cool.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Scott drawing comparisons to Russell Wilson

Arizona QB Matt Scott is drawing "inevitable comparisons" to Russell Wilson, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.

Pauline notes that he actually sees more of Colin Kaepernick in Scott's game. "Scouts we spoke with also mentioned how personable Scott was and how he comes across as a leader and quality person," writes Pauline. "The thought process during the workout was Scott had moved himself into the third round... When the day was done a number of coaches were of the opinion Scott could actually sneak into the late part of round two."
Source: TFY Draft Insider

Mar 8 - 10:46 AM

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could draft a sleeper after the first round and develop him — that’s how San Francisco got Joe Montana (3rd round), how New England got Tom Brady (6th round), how San Diego got Dan Fouts (3rd round), how Green Bay got Bart Starr (17th round!). But you should know, since 1950, more than half the quarterbacks taken second round or later (56.6 percent if you’re scoring at home) never started a single game in the NFL.

prior to Kap starting, was very cautious about expecting too much from him. he obviously blew that away. we got some luck in this case, defied the odds.

Got lucky Kap became a starter or lucky he appears to be on the fast track to being one of the best QB's in the league?

As for the article what the author is saying is mis-leading at best and absolute Bull Shit at worst. The draft use to be ~24 rounds and ~82% of his sample were taken in the 4th round and later; honestly, that 43% would wind-up starting at all is pretty remarkable.

Furthermore, when you look at the ~18% of QB's taken in the 2nd & 3rd rounds you see everything from back-ups to SB Champions!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Got lucky Kap became a starter or lucky he appears to be on the fast track to being one of the best QB's in the league?

As for the article what the author is saying is mis-leading at best and absolute Bull Shit at worst. The draft use to be ~24 rounds and ~82% of his sample were taken in the 4th round and later; honestly, that 43% would wind-up starting at all is pretty remarkable.

Furthermore, when you look at the ~18% of QB's taken in the 2nd & 3rd rounds you see everything from back-ups to SB Champions!

got lucky any way you look at it.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Maybe from a fan's perspective we got lucky with CK but I wouldn't quite use that word as it seems to imply we took a shot in the dark when we picked him and just glad we it worked out.

CK was scouted and every ounce of his being was examined so it was a completely calculated pick by the 9ers and Harbaugh picked him confident he can make him a starter.

I think it's fortunate that we were able to get him because we were taking a chance he would last until we were able to pick again and considering the serious run on QBs that happened in that draft it was looking sketchy there for a time.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think we got lucky with Kaep.

At the combine, he was as ahtletic as any QB there.

He has a smoking arm. Everyone knew that.

His wonderlic was very high, on par with other successful NFL QBs.

So where's the doubt? The only thing he didn't have was experience at high level of competition.

Did you guys read that article about before that draft, Jack Harbaugh was probing Jim on who he's gonna take in draft, and Jack promised he wouldn't tell anyone, and Jim said he's gonna draft Kaepernick and Jim told his dad he thought that Kaep was the best player in the whole draft.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe from a fan's perspective we got lucky with CK but I wouldn't quite use that word as it seems to imply we took a shot in the dark when we picked him and just glad we it worked out.

CK was scouted and every ounce of his being was examined so it was a completely calculated pick by the 9ers and Harbaugh picked him confident he can make him a starter.

I think it's fortunate that we were able to get him because we were taking a chance he would last until we were able to pick again and considering the serious run on QBs that happened in that draft it was looking sketchy there for a time.

Jikkle, even the most heavily scouted players are a shot in a dark. There isn't a single player in any draft that is a sure thing - To your point, some may be less risky than others but there is risk associated with every pick.

Also, keep in mind that some of the luck with Kap is that none of the other teams looking for a QB in that draft took him before we did.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jikkle, even the most heavily scouted players are a shot in a dark. There isn't a single player in any draft that is a sure thing - To your point, some may be less risky than others but there is risk associated with every pick.

Also, keep in mind that some of the luck with Kap is that none of the other teams looking for a QB in that draft took him before we did.

Yeah that is the lucky part. We were lucky Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton all came off the board first. The difference being didn't all of those QBs play at colleges with tougher competition?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I say 2nd round - Tyler Bray. That would be the steal of the draft.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that is the lucky part. We were lucky Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton all came off the board first. The difference being didn't all of those QBs play at colleges with tougher competition?

They did. At this point I think it is fair to say that Kap was simply under scouted, overlooked and/or incorrectly valued by just about everyone but Harbaugh.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I don't disagree I just think there is a better term than calling it "lucky". Or I guess it comes down to what ones definition of lucky is.

And I did acknowledge that we were fortunate that he was there when we drafted him and there is where luck plays a factor.