• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

At what point in the draft do we select a QB?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't want to get into a long discussion that doesn't accomplish anything. but let me say your 2nd paragraph isn't anything different, so don't get "its not correct"? plus, i've said NUMUROUS times i prefer trades so again, don't get your arrogance?

in the 3rd paragragh, you still don't understand my point, and you're STILL connecting Kap. i just posted it has nothing to do with Kap but it went over your head......again. shouldn't have to keep repeating it, sigh!

I'm not at all trying to be arrogant but by the very descriptions you have supplied, it is incorrect. You want to say this is not about Kap, however you claim we should do what we just did two years ago to acquire Kap.

So I ask; why, when we already have our FQB would you expect us to even consider drafting another one. And, if another FQB becomes available next year should we draft that QB as well?

I have asked you before and you ignored the question, but you force the question again - At what point should we stop drafting FQB's or overall BPA's and focus on our needs?

Again, these are honest questions; you seem to know a great deal about draft strategy so I want to learn.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't want to get into a long discussion that doesn't accomplish anything. but let me say your 2nd paragraph isn't anything different, so don't get "its not correct"? plus, i've said NUMUROUS times i prefer trades so again, don't get your arrogance?

in the 3rd paragragh, you still don't understand my point, and you're STILL connecting Kap. i just posted it has nothing to do with Kap but it went over your head......again. shouldn't have to keep repeating it, sigh!

I'm not at all trying to be arrogant but by the very descriptions you have supplied, it is incorrect. You want to say this is not about Kap, however you claim we should do what we just did two years ago to acquire Kap.

So I ask; why, when we already have our FQB would you expect us to even consider drafting another one. And, if another FQB becomes available next year should we draft that QB as well?

I have asked you before and you ignored the question, but you force the question again - At what point should we stop drafting FQB's or overall BPA's and focus on our needs?

Again, these are honest questions; you seem to know a great deal about draft strategy so I want to learn.

Good to see you on the board Deep - Perhaps you can shed some light on this issue. Again, I'm just trying to learn about draft strategy from your point of view.

Thanks

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott drawing comparisons to Russell Wilson

Arizona QB Matt Scott is drawing "inevitable comparisons" to Russell Wilson, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.

Pauline notes that he actually sees more of Colin Kaepernick in Scott's game. "Scouts we spoke with also mentioned how personable Scott was and how he comes across as a leader and quality person," writes Pauline. "The thought process during the workout was Scott had moved himself into the third round... When the day was done a number of coaches were of the opinion Scott could actually sneak into the late part of round two."
Source: TFY Draft Insider

Mar 8 - 10:46 AM

I'd target Scott at #74 as a developmental backup to CK. He's been all over as far as mocks are concerned, so who knows where he'll be drafted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EJ Manuel is going to be the best QB in this draft class, if he is there in the 3rd then we take him

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought there might be a better thread to put this but I can't find it (besides the general Free Agency Signings thread).

For those of you wanting Josh Johnson, I assume he wants to go somewhere with a less cemented QB, though his shot at starting to next to zero anyway. Josh Johnson, Bengals reportedly agree to contract

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought there might be a better thread to put this but I can't find it (besides the general Free Agency Signings thread).

For those of you wanting Josh Johnson, I assume he wants to go somewhere with a less cemented QB, though his shot at starting to next to zero anyway. Josh Johnson, Bengals reportedly agree to contract

I think it has more to do with Harbaalke's lack of interest than anything JJ wanted.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
EJ Manuel is going to be the best QB in this draft class, if he is there in the 3rd then we take him

but this measures him only against other QB prospects? IF the QB class is very weak, that ain't saying much?

how do you project he'll do in the NFL?

nothing against him, just saying that might not be a good base line?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good to see you on the board Deep - Perhaps you can shed some light on this issue. Again, I'm just trying to learn about draft strategy from your point of view.

Thanks

Deep, I'm sure you would provide the answers requested, so I'm assuming you missed this - Thanks Brother!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Deep, I'm sure you would provide the answers requested, so I'm assuming you missed this - Thanks Brother!

Brother Bem - per your request, this is my long winded answer to your questions above. just my opinion............if you look at our situation right now today, yes i would draft a FQB. why?

1. to obtain the most talent we can get, that is the purpose of drafting and you can't beat value from a FQB with the 31st pick? a FQB is a lot of talent that no other position comes close to matching.
2. we are in need of another QB, and will add one one way or another. so IF this scenario falls to you, grab it and run, smile all the way home.
3. to obtain a good back-up to Kap who may get hurt for whatever reasons. we have a good team now - built for now - and a serious SB contender (including 2014). so we don't want to fall flat should Kap go down. stats show most QB's don't play every snap all year, then add play-off games.
4. should Kap go down for the play-offs, we obviously want a GOOD back-up. we want to WIN the SB and not just contend, this requires a higher level of talent at back-up QB.
5. because of the new CBA, a rookie FQB doesn't break our bank with his first contract. a 31st pick shouldn't be a LOT?
6. Kap will need a new contract soon, a HUGE contract should he continue what he's done. at that point we'll also be in a tight cap situation overall, so this gives us options, yet we'll still have a FQB.
7. when necessary, we can seek trades for a FQB. we'll have spent a 31st pick and see no reason why another team won't give more? as an ILLUSTRATION, what would we get if we're trading Kap? teams are paying a lot (just look at Alex Smith), so imagine we're trading a FQB?

when do you stop drafting a FQB, or overall BPA's for that matter? for the FQB part of this question.............when the scenario changes from what we have today. although i repeat "BPA" a lot, i know there's an eye on need. if Kap continues his pace and the rookie show enough signs he is FQB caliber, i wouldn't draft another one in 2014.

to address the more general....when do you stop drafting overall BPA's? it is never 100% BPA. i do lean over to that end, but not saying take BPA with a blind eye. i feel you should do it rounds 1 to 3, but since we now have a good team, round 3 is gray. so if you leaned a little more Need in round 3, fine. if we had a worse team, i'd lean BPA for more rounds than 1 or 2. that is why before Harbaugh, i was for 'BPA' more than rounds 1-3.

there is no problem if you disagree, it is just my opinion. i've also noted from the get go, it is only a 1% chance this scenario happens, so my point was really......................don't automactically scratch off QB at 31st.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd target Scott at #74 as a developmental backup to CK. He's been all over as far as mocks are concerned, so who knows where he'll be drafted.

Matt Scott as a Draft Prospect - His history is interesting and this guy paints him as a dual threat, at least as far as some running stats, too. I saw the 49-48 win in the last two minutes, crazy, a bit of the opponent's offense's fault, too.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I've stated mumultiple times that 63 would be a good time to select a QB (if Bray is there).

I'm still waiting for your number imac. 3rd round? 7th?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've stated mumultiple times that 63 would be a good time to select a QB (if Bray is there).

I'm still waiting for your number imac. 3rd round? 7th?

Sorry Sick. I spent the weekend fighting my internet and cable connection to the point where I have a new provider today.

I'd look for the original day 2 picks (round 4 and later). Unfortunately, I haven't seen enough college ball this year to be able to apply names.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Interesting article about Duke QB Renfree as potential later round prospect to groom that Harbaugh attempted to recruit to Stanford.

San Francisco 49ers ? Niner Insider Blog ? SFGate.com » Renfree reunion? Harbaugh previously pursued Duke QB

Based on virtually no knowledge of this guy except what was in that article, he seems fairly similar to Tolzien. For that reason, I'd be surprised if we went after him unless we're planning to give up on Tolzien. Tolzien profiles as the solid-enough backup who can come in and keep the team afloat for a few games. We should be looking to groom a guy with some physical gifts at the third spot.