• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

At what point in the draft do we select a QB?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree I just think there is a better term than calling it "lucky". Or I guess it comes down to what ones definition of lucky is.

And I did acknowledge that we were fortunate that he was there when we drafted him and there is where luck plays a factor.

You did and I missed it - my bad.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
wait, didn't mean to imply it was TOTAL luck? obviously, the 49ers scouted him and traded up for him.

but in the big picture of the NFL, most 2nd round QB's don't become quality starters. most don't start off like Kap did in his first 10 games, play-offs included, thats what i meant by 'lucky'.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tyler wilson would intrique me in the 3rd but i would rather go after gillislee or tj mcdonald

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tyler wilson would intrique me in the 3rd but i would rather go after gillislee or tj mcdonald

I would be more than happy with Tyler Wilson in the 3rd. I almost completely forgot about TJ McDonald. He was being talked about as a 1st round pick this time last year.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be more than happy with Tyler Wilson in the 3rd. I almost completely forgot about TJ McDonald. He was being talked about as a 1st round pick this time last year.

I wouldn't touch McDonald anywhere near the 1st round. I think 3rd round or so is about good for him. He'll likely get picked much higher than that but he is just too stiff for my taste. His hips aren't fluid, he's not very quick and doesn't change direction as well as you would like. That being said, he is a safety so it doesn't matter near as much as with a CB, but this is the NFL and he will be asked to man up at times.

BTW what the crap is up with USC and their safeties. They are all the same, all huge, talented guys who don't necessarily translate to the NFL. They all seem to be tight hipped and don't change direction well. I may just be focusing on the 49ers that came from there such as Bing, Mays and possibly McDonald but they all seem similar to me.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I wouldn't touch McDonald in the 3rd either. He's more like a 5th round talent IMO.

I thought he was one of the most overrated players in college football last season.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't touch McDonald in the 3rd either. He's more like a 5th round talent IMO.

I thought he was one of the most overrated players in college football last season.

Talent wise he is certainly a 3rd to 4th round guy. He just has a lot of work to do when it comes to his footwork and lateral quickness. With the right coaching he could develop into a very good player though.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this many draftpicks, and assuming they keep the 31st and is it 33rd or 34th from the Chiefs? I wouldn't be terribly shocked that if one of the OK QBs fell to 63 that the 49ers might use that to get a backup QB.

I wouldn't get upset if they used another 2nd or 3rd rounder on a QB they liked because CK is a marked man now, they'll be trying to injure him so it is important for the 49ers to get a backup QB with good athletic ability... which you probably won't find in rounds 6 through 7.

I guess one good thing to watch is depending on how high or low they take a QB, that tells us what the coaching staff thinks of Tolzien's progress in the offense over the last 2 years.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be happy if we just don't draft a QB this year. Their is not point to it really. Kaep looks to be a long term fixture for us at QB so no need to waste a draft pick on someone to hold his clip board right now. Tolzien can back him up and we can always bring in a washed up veteran to challenge him. If Kaep gets hurt and misses any significant time we're screwed no matter what. We won't be having an Alex or Kaep issue next year and honestly that's probably a good thing.

Only reason I can see for drafting a QB is for future value. If Harbaugh really likes someone and they drop well below where he thinks they should have gone I can see us grabbing them. We then spend 2 or 3 years molding them and turn them into future draft picks to a needy team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd be happy if we just don't draft a QB this year. Their is not point to it really. Kaep looks to be a long term fixture for us at QB so no need to waste a draft pick on someone to hold his clip board right now. Tolzien can back him up and we can always bring in a washed up veteran to challenge him. If Kaep gets hurt and misses any significant time we're screwed no matter what. We won't be having an Alex or Kaep issue next year and honestly that's probably a good thing.

Only reason I can see for drafting a QB is for future value. If Harbaugh really likes someone and they drop well below where he thinks they should have gone I can see us grabbing them. We then spend 2 or 3 years molding them and turn them into future draft picks to a needy team.

does this include round 1? obviously, he'd need to be really GOOD, but is it a possibility, or zero possibility?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
does this include round 1? obviously, he'd need to be really GOOD, but is it a possibility, or zero possibility?

Zero possibility. Because in his scenario, we are adding that player in the hopes of turning him into future draft picks. And as I have pointed out ad nauseum, you don't use a first round draft pick and spend years grooming a player in the hopes of trading him for what would optimistically be a first round draft pick.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer the original question, I wouldn't draft a QB until the end of the 4th. If a guy like Landry Jones drops to the end of the 4th and we have them graded as 2nd or 3rd rd grades, then I would pull a move from the Redskins and draft a 4th round back-up that graded a couple rounds higher.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To put this discussion in perspective: The Patriots are now in talks with the Browns about trading Mallett. Rumors say it's either a 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th rd picks.

Now let's say the Niners draft a QB in the 3rd round. Do you think getting back a few picks after several years is worth the opportunity cost of drafting a player in a position of greater need?

But every situation is different. Like someone mentioned above, it really depends on what the team thinks of Tolzien at this point.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO we shouldn't draft a QB till at least the Panthers 3rd. Unless Geno Smith falls to 31 and even then I would trade out of the 1st and get a 1st next year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To put this discussion in perspective: The Patriots are now in talks with the Browns about trading Mallett. Rumors say it's either a 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th rd picks.

Now let's say the Niners draft a QB in the 3rd round. Do you think getting back a few picks after several years is worth the opportunity cost of drafting a player in a position of greater need?

But every situation is different. Like someone mentioned above, it really depends on what the team thinks of Tolzien at this point.

no, we'd draft a QB because he fits our scheme, and will potentially be our good starter. easier said than done finding this guy, but IF you draft one thats the mentality.

although a future trade is possible, we shouldn't draft a QB for this reason.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, we'd draft a QB because he fits our scheme, and will potentially be our good starter. easier said than done finding this guy, but IF you draft one thats the mentality.

Deep, what questions has Kaepernick not answered for you that you think we need to draft another starting QB? What makes you think we haven't done precisely what you are saying is "easier said than done..."

Are you expecting a total collapse by Kap? Are you just not impressed with what you have seen from him? Serious and honest question, why do you want to replace him or waste a draft pick with the idea of replacing him?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Deep, what questions has Kaepernick not answered for you that you think we need to draft another starting QB? What makes you think we haven't done precisely what you are saying is "easier said than done..."

Are you expecting a total collapse by Kap? Are you just not impressed with what you have seen from him? Serious and honest question, why do you want to replace him or waste a draft pick with the idea of replacing him?

it has nothing to do with Kap and i'm NOT pounding the table for a QB (at 31st). but i'm not eliminating QB at 31st either, this possibility is still there at 1%. when you enter any draft, the purpose is to accumulate talent, to envision these players over their careers. so IF they identify a QB they feel is 'franchise', i would draft him.

going by Need can lead you to draft less talent.

responding to your question on Kap alone, and not tying it into the above.................what is not to like about Kap? he is everything we could've hope for, and more. but before i annoint him a franchise QB, just want to see more games? this is obviously to show more consistency, but i have no reason to think he won't.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it has nothing to do with Kap and i'm NOT pounding the table for a QB (at 31st). but i'm not eliminating QB at 31st either, this possibility is still there at 1%. when you enter any draft, the purpose is to accumulate talent, to envision these players over their careers. so IF they identify a QB they feel is 'franchise', i would draft him.

going by Need can lead you to draft less talent.

responding to your question on Kap alone, and not tying it into the above.................what is not to like about Kap? he is everything we could've hope for, and more. but before i annoint him a franchise QB, just want to see more games? this is obviously to show more consistency, but i have no reason to think he won't.

Well, I suppose anything can happen, but the only way we even consider taking a QB in the first two rounds is if there is any doubt Kaepernick is not as good as he played. Honestly I would be very surprised to find out that Tolzien is not good enough to force any QB pick past the 4th round.

As for your idea on what the draft is all about, you are not quite correct. The draft is for building a winning franchise; and depending on where your team is on the rebuild, transition, maintain, decline curve you may seek an overall BPA, a position BPA [need] or to trade the picks for current and/or future considerations. For some reason the concept of trading picks is foreign to you.

I will guarantee you, Deep, if the best QB in the draft fell to us at 31 we would NOT pick that QB - We would either take another player or trade the pick. I know you believe otherwise based on your belief that Kap is just not quite "franchise enough" but you're simply 100% wrong about that.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, I suppose anything can happen, but the only way we even consider taking a QB in the first two rounds is if there is any doubt Kaepernick is not as good as he played. Honestly I would be very surprised to find out that Tolzien is not good enough to force any QB pick past the 4th round.

As for your idea on what the draft is all about, you are not quite correct. The draft is for building a winning franchise; and depending on where your team is on the rebuild, transition, maintain, decline curve you may seek an overall BPA, a position BPA [need] or to trade the picks for current and/or future considerations. For some reason the concept of trading picks is foreign to you.

I will guarantee you, Deep, if the best QB in the draft fell to us at 31 we would NOT pick that QB - We would either take another player or trade the pick. I know you believe otherwise based on your belief that Kap is just not quite "franchise enough" but you're simply 100% wrong about that.

don't want to get into a long discussion that doesn't accomplish anything. but let me say your 2nd paragraph isn't anything different, so don't get "its not correct"? plus, i've said NUMUROUS times i prefer trades so again, don't get your arrogance?

in the 3rd paragragh, you still don't understand my point, and you're STILL connecting Kap. i just posted it has nothing to do with Kap but it went over your head......again. shouldn't have to keep repeating it, sigh!