• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

At what point do we start protecting the ball?

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last week vs. the Titans Redman fumbled twice and Big Ben had a pick. 3 in one game.

This week so far we fumbled again, and one again it cost us as Cincy got a TD.

And we were in FG range when we turned it over. Just as we were last week when Redman fumbled on the goal line.

At what point do the ball carriers decide to be professionals and PROTECT THE FUCKING FOOTBALL?!!?

It's not like they're getting PAID to do it or anything.

:L :gaah: :wtf2:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last week vs. the Titans Redman fumbled twice and Big Ben had a pick. 3 in one game.

This week so far we fumbled again, and one again it cost us as Cincy got a TD.

And we were in FG range when we turned it over. Just as we were last week when Redman fumbled on the goal line.

At what point do the ball carriers decide to be professionals and PROTECT THE FUCKING FOOTBALL?!!?

It's not like they're getting PAID to do it or anything.

:L :gaah: :wtf2:

2 games, 4 turnovers...really was the difference in both games...

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 games, 4 turnovers...really was the difference in both games...

Apologies, I counted 5.

Three vs. Tennessee. 2 from Redman, 1 from Big Ben.

Two in Cincy, one from our backup TE and one from Big Ben.

That being said, that last pick on Ben wasn't ON Ben. The WR tipped it and it dropped into an INT.

If part of your job is to carry the ball, you should know how to protect it. Redman fumbled on the goal line and we could have gone up 9-0. Then he did it again later.

In the Cincy game we were in the redzone - could have been 3 at least. Nope. Screwed the pooch on that one.

You're getting paid to protect the ball so protect the ball!!!

It's really not that hard to understand.

New policy: You lose the ball, you lose a ball. We cut one of your balls off.

We wont have another turnover all year.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apologies, I counted 5.

Three vs. Tennessee. 2 from Redman, 1 from Big Ben.

Two in Cincy, one from our backup TE and one from Big Ben.

That being said, that last pick on Ben wasn't ON Ben. The WR tipped it and it dropped into an INT.

If part of your job is to carry the ball, you should know how to protect it. Redman fumbled on the goal line and we could have gone up 9-0. Then he did it again later.

In the Cincy game we were in the redzone - could have been 3 at least. Nope. Screwed the pooch on that one.

You're getting paid to protect the ball so protect the ball!!!

It's really not that hard to understand.

New policy: You lose the ball, you lose a ball. We cut one of your balls off.

We wont have another turnover all year.

Redman only lost 1 fumble... The 2nd he recovered. So it is only 4 turnovers. But still, I agree... Ridiculous

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...the number is 4, but point well taken regardless...it's TOO FREAKIN HIGH.

There has to be accountability, and consequences...period.

Idk care about the $1.3 due Redman...the team needed some shock therapy and cutting Redman was it imo.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the turnovers are coming from pressure. The OL just isn't getting the job done.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the turnovers are coming from pressure. The OL just isn't getting the job done.

No, they're not, but IMO they need a QB that's going to help them out...get the ball out quicker, throw it away, live for another down or just punt...even under pressure ball security is on the ball carrier.

They also need an OC drawing up quick hitting plays...max protect when you need a longer pattern...it's a young OL that has blocked okay for F. Jones but in obvious passing situations gotta help them out until they get it together...constant changing the 5 for non injury imo is not the answer. If Beachum is the guy, ok, but Gilbert or Adams needs to go the bench...permanently.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they're not, but IMO they need a QB that's going to help them out...get the ball out quicker, throw it away, live for another down or just punt...even under pressure ball security is on the ball carrier.

They also need an OC drawing up quick hitting plays...max protect when you need a longer pattern...it's a young OL that has blocked okay for F. Jones but in obvious passing situations gotta help them out until they get it together...constant changing the 5 for non injury imo is not the answer. If Beachum is the guy, ok, but Gilbert or Adams needs to go the bench...permanently.

Yea I don't know why they would think a "Tackle Committee" was a good answer. To me it seems like this coaching staff is incapable of improvisation. Once they have their gameplan in place, they don't deviate from it at all (unless you count Ben's no huddle). Sunday night they were trying too hard to come up with short term answers for the blocking along the line so that they could stick to their plan, but like you said they could have thrown quicker passes to mix it up.

I agree, ball security falls on the handler. But the O-line definitely made his job harder on him. He was trying to extend the plays in his typical fashion but didn't find the room. Not really his fault to try and make something happen when trailing that late in the game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I don't know why they would think a "Tackle Committee" was a good answer. To me it seems like this coaching staff is incapable of improvisation. Once they have their gameplan in place, they don't deviate from it at all (unless you count Ben's no huddle). Sunday night they were trying too hard to come up with short term answers for the blocking along the line so that they could stick to their plan, but like you said they could have thrown quicker passes to mix it up.

I agree, ball security falls on the handler. But the O-line definitely made his job harder on him. He was trying to extend the plays in his typical fashion but didn't find the room. Not really his fault to try and make something happen when trailing that late in the game.

Ben...if you look at him subjectively (not as a Steeler fan if you will)...when the 1st read isn't there, almost instinctively he seems goes into extend mode instead of continuing with the progressions and delivering the ball...he tends to ignore his safety valve dump off to the RB in lieu of something bigger downfield. Sometimes he pulls it off for a big play, other times he takes a sack. That's been his MO since the beginning. Lately he's been handling the ball too carelessly while in traffic and he's losing it. If the defender makes a great play and strips you from behind or something...that's different.

Now as a comparison...I see Matt Ryan every week just as I do Ben. The ATL OL man for man imo is about the same as PIT, no standout players. Ryan is more like P. Manning when it comes to going through his progressions and delivering the ball...he's not as athletic, or as nimble footed as Ben so extending the play is not his game. He gets hit a lot, but takes far fewer sacks, less turnovers in the pocket.

The OL is doing a halfway decent opening holes for LSH and now F. Jones, yet Redman & Dwyer looked terrible behind the same OL (we know they're not blocking much better). That's why I can't lay it all on the OL. Ben and Haley have to do as you mentioned adjust what they are doing and work with the OL. If the LT is getting beat...give him some help with a RB or a TE...don't keep leaving him 1 on 1 to get his ass beat all game.