• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

at Giants

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so it turns out the Ravens, Chiefs, and Skins are all pretty good.

we should have beat NE (slow start, Joe not ready, offense unprepared, Jmarr didn't practice, no Tee Higgins, blah blah blah)

otherwise we beat the one team we were supposed to, Carolina.
you can't beat the other 3 teams with a banged up defense, again, quality depth alludes the Bengals, but whatever.

I think we should beat the Giants. all the facebook goons will be back on the bandwagon next week.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so it turns out the Ravens, Chiefs, and Skins are all pretty good.

we should have beat NE (slow start, Joe not ready, offense unprepared, Jmarr didn't practice, no Tee Higgins, blah blah blah)

otherwise we beat the one team we were supposed to, Carolina.
you can't beat the other 3 teams with a banged up defense, again, quality depth alludes the Bengals, but whatever.

I think we should beat the Giants. all the facebook goons will be back on the bandwagon next week.
I'll be back on the bandwagon if we can win our next 3. Have to beat the Giants, Browns and Eagles at home. Losing the home game to Baltimore really sucks, because winning in Baltimore is a hard damn task. We are on life support right now, but not dead yet, but we are getting close. If we lose to the Giants, start planning for the draft. Couple really good CB's in this years draft. We need to look at S, CB, DE and possibly the replacement for Pratt at LB. I didn't mention DT, but we just invested heavy there in the draft, if we are going to do anything there, it should be FA. Let Rankins and Hill walk.

At any rate, tons of improvement needed on the defense. We need another Jesse Bates, and a shut down corner. I like Travis Hunter from Colorado. He can be used in other ways too.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Travis Hunter will be gone by the time we pick unless we trade up. He may be the first non-qb drafted overall.
we should realistically finish 8-9 or 9-8 with improvement, or luck.
we should be looking for defense though, we will need to be good at scouting and evaluating.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been such an odd season for the Bengals. Read this tweet.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In many ways this has the look of a season from hell. It's not unreasonable to believe that we should be 3-2, even with a bad loss against New England. Getting off the field on 4th and forever and KC and making a field goal your kicker has made throughout his career would put us at 3-2 even with all the warts. On the other hand, as Marvin would say, you are what your record says you are.... And we are 1-4.

So, where do we go. My thinking is that the offensive production is not fake or not fabricated in any way. Sometimes teams have inflated stats because they are always behind. That isn't the case with this team. We were winning for much of the KC and Baltimore games. All games have been within reach. The offense is much more dynamic than it has ever been in the Burrow era and the protection is significantly better than it has ever been. OBJ is having a great year, Volson isn't near the liability he once was, and the running backs and tight ends can actually block. So, barring injury, it's hard for me to imagine this offense being outside of the top 5. There is just too much there for a D to stop.

Sadly, I don't think the defensive ineptitude is a fluke either. We can't rush the passer. We can stop the run, but only if we sell out against it which leaves us vulnerable to the pass. Our safeties are comically slow and teams are going to create schemes to take advantage of these issues. We lost our best athlete in the secondary and a guy we thought would be a star (CTB) is having some serious issues.

DVOA has the future schedule as 32 in the NFL. There will be opportunities. To turn things around, the offense will have to continue to be historically good and we'll have to figure out how to close games. My sense is that the inconsistency will doom this team and we'll lose a few we shouldn't. I also think we'll have a couple of weeks where we look like one of the best teams in the NFL. So, the madness will continue.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm supposed to be at Sunday's game. Since my undefeated record is no more, I need to start a new personal winning streak. Although, I'm not optimistic.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm supposed to be at Sunday's game. Since my undefeated record is no more, I need to start a new personal winning streak. Although, I'm not optimistic.

It turns out I am now not going to the game. It's a pretty hilarious story actually.

There's a company that sets up bus trips here to various sporting events or other events. They announced one for this week's game, so I was supposed to go with a buddy who is a Giants fan and his brother. They ended up deciding not to go, so I was stuck going alone.

I got an email yesterday from the company saying that they had to cancel the trip because........I was the only one who signed up for it. :L

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It turns out I am now not going to the game. It's a pretty hilarious story actually.

There's a company that sets up bus trips here to various sporting events or other events. They announced one for this week's game, so I was supposed to go with a buddy who is a Giants fan and his brother. They ended up deciding not to go, so I was stuck going alone.

I got an email yesterday from the company saying that they had to cancel the trip because........I was the only one who signed up for it. :L
Cincinnati Football - Catch the Fever!

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until the final drive - Bengals again, in a game they never trailed, were aiming for a 75-25 split in pass/run after a week where they ran the ball, stuck with the run - and had success.

Make it make sense. Not calling for a 50/50 split. But it simply cannot be 75-25 - especially in a game where they never trail and even more so in a game where the OL was struggling with the pass-rush. Well designed runs or draws, would have gone a long way to helping to slow the pass rush.

Taylor simply cannot help himself. He is a terrible, terrible play caller.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until the final drive - Bengals again, in a game they never trailed, were aiming for a 75-25 split in pass/run after a week where they ran the ball, stuck with the run - and had success.

Make it make sense. Not calling for a 50/50 split. But it simply cannot be 75-25 - especially in a game where they never trail and even more so in a game where the OL was struggling with the pass-rush. Well designed runs or draws, would have gone a long way to helping to slow the pass rush.

it's possible we discovered that they are compensating for our running backs' ball control issues.

they still need the chance to carry the ball though, you can't make the play action believable when they know we aren't going to run.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, and then Burrow bailed out the crappy play calling with that 3rd down pass to Yoshi. A week after you lose a game you fail to close because you take the ball out of your QBs hands and you go run, run, 3rd and 12 with the chance to put the game away. If Burrow doesn't hit that pass, we're probably all talking about the loss this week.

That said, I do think some uncharacteristic things happened that slowed things down. Chase's drop would have been a big play at a big part of the game in the 2nd quarter. Probably would have led to a 2 score lead at halftime. Moss's fumble was a killer too. Again, that would have led to a 2-score lead. After the Moss fumble, we didn't really get the ball back until the very end of the 3rd. At that time, I was grateful they dialed up the pass, because I figured Taylor would go into a shell and punt it back with a tired D.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's possible we discovered that they are compensating for our running backs' ball control issues.

they still need the chance to carry the ball though, you can't make the play action believable when they know we aren't going to run.
1 fumble isn't really cause for concern. Would have been really bad timing for Brown, but it worked out.

If both guys start losing the ball more, we'll talk....but until then, you simply cannot go 75/25. I did the math some weeks ago - but if you hit that kind of mark, it essentially was equating to roughly 1 run per drive. You cannot run an effective offense where your running game is a non-threat to even get the ball, let alone get yards.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and then Burrow bailed out the crappy play calling with that 3rd down pass to Yoshi. A week after you lose a game you fail to close because you take the ball out of your QBs hands and you go run, run, 3rd and 12 with the chance to put the game away. If Burrow doesn't hit that pass, we're probably all talking about the loss this week.

That said, I do think some uncharacteristic things happened that slowed things down. Chase's drop would have been a big play at a big part of the game in the 2nd quarter. Probably would have led to a 2 score lead at halftime. Moss's fumble was a killer too. Again, that would have led to a 2-score lead. After the Moss fumble, we didn't really get the ball back until the very end of the 3rd. At that time, I was grateful they dialed up the pass, because I figured Taylor would go into a shell and punt it back with a tired D.
Agreed there were some unusual things that happened. You had the drop, and the fumble...

But in addition to the lack of run calls, many of the ones that do get called are very basic/bland. It was nice to see the end/round with Chase and not on a 3rd down play (though that counts as a pass). I did like that call and the situation was good for it. But, by and large, Taylor falls into this trap far too often as a play caller.

We hear a ton of lament after games, but then he does the same thing week after week. Offensive Co. have changed, but the plays remain the same. They don't need to re-invent the wheel - but they do need to shake up their alignment on certain plays to create more complexity for the defense.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take this away from the game - Bengals finally win a game where they play poorly. May not seem like a big deal, but winning teams find ways to win games when they don't play well, and are the better team. Far too often, even in previous years at times, the Bengals have not found ways to do this. Specifically in weeks 1-3.

Step 1 in trying to get the season back on track. Another game like this is on the books w/Cleveland. Bengals are better than Cleveland. That offense is an abject mess. The defense took a nice step forward on Sunday, but need to sustain it for a stretch starting this weekend. If Watson goes out there and puts up 20+ points (not even after having broke the 20 point mark all year) while looking like a competent NFL QB - bigger issues are still to be had.

Historically, Burrow has struggled against the Browns defense...maybe a good time to have a down week on Sunday because they will need to have a bounce back game this week against a decent Browns defense that can get after the QB. Don't let the ranking fool you too much - the offense is so bad the defense is scuffling. If the Bengals defense allows the Browns offense traction - that defense will come alive.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take this away from the game - Bengals finally win a game where they play poorly. May not seem like a big deal, but winning teams find ways to win games when they don't play well, and are the better team. Far too often, even in previous years at times, the Bengals have not found ways to do this. Specifically in weeks 1-3.

Step 1 in trying to get the season back on track. Another game like this is on the books w/Cleveland. Bengals are better than Cleveland. That offense is an abject mess. The defense took a nice step forward on Sunday, but need to sustain it for a stretch starting this weekend. If Watson goes out there and puts up 20+ points (not even after having broke the 20 point mark all year) while looking like a competent NFL QB - bigger issues are still to be had.

Historically, Burrow has struggled against the Browns defense...maybe a good time to have a down week on Sunday because they will need to have a bounce back game this week against a decent Browns defense that can get after the QB. Don't let the ranking fool you too much - the offense is so bad the defense is scuffling. If the Bengals defense allows the Browns offense traction - that defense will come alive.
I completely agree. Sooner or later the ball needs to bounce in your favor. When was the last time someone missed a field goal against us? Particularly in a close game? The Chase Brown fumble went out of bounds - How often is that going to happen? We were due some luck.