• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Asuka Brown is a moron...I'm bored at work...Reed clears waivers

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 life terms plus 5 years for Bulger!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stupid

guy will be dead in a few years. what's the point now?

I saw his victims familes should just have been allowed to stone him!

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the next John Elway was in the Draft and my current QB is Matt Flynn. I would strongly consider losing

I'm with Coach K on tanking.

All you can actually count on it doing is getting your current players into bad habits. That's in addition to it being ethically
odoriferous.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*say

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw his victims familes should just have been allowed to stone him!

that's not what I meant

guy committed crimes under FBI's watch for decades. NOW he's sentenced...?

AND

judge gives 2 life sentences? you can only serve 1. what's with the +5 years to it? how political is that?!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's not what I meant

AND

judge gives 2 life sentences? you can only serve 1. what's with the +5 years to it? how political is that?!

I got what you meant. It made no sense to even try the guy when he clearly was guilty yet the FBI covered it up for so long.

Just saying to get some justice just have him be stoned to death by the people he affected the most!

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do they still give out the "Rolaids Relief Man" Award? These guys still get paid WAY more than they should, so excuse me if I don't cry them a river.

These guys pitch no more than one-third the innings of a starter and get paid better than most of them. Certainly no less than half of what a typical top starter gets.

To try to compare it to football, the closer is the equivalent of a backup QB coming in after the starter gets them down to the 5 yard line.

Maybe a better football comparison is the RB that runs it down to the 1 yard line, and then gets pulled for the "goal line back'.

The innings closers pitch are usually critical, and not even remotely easy.

Try coming in with the potential winning run already in scoring position with the opposition cleanup guy at the plate.

"Stressful" is an understatement for that type situation.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Coach K on tanking.

All you can actually count on it doing is getting your current players into bad habits. That's in addition to it being ethically
odoriferous.

I think in the end, player's personal pride comes into play, and it is hard to tank a game or season. The competitive spirit makes the players play hard. That said, an organization can tank by not providing improvements to the roster and the overall talent is not equal to their opponent on a given day.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The innings closers pitch are usually critical, and not even remotely easy.

Try coming in with the potential winning run already in scoring position with the opposition cleanup guy at the plate.

"Stressful" is an understatement for that type situation.

How many closers come in with the winning run already in scoring position? If they do, how many of those are done in the 8th inning with 2 outs?

How many times does a closer face the heart of the order? If he does with men on, it is usually because HE put them on base.

Every inning of every game is stressful for a pitcher. You limit that stress by allowing as few runners as possible.

A closer comes in and can go all out on every pitch, since he is likely throwing about 10-20 pitches in an inning. Much easier to close a game out than start and pitch 5-7 innings or more.

You will never convince me of that as both a fan and a pitcher.

RedSoxWorrld

Brock wears female undies
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many closers come in with the winning run already in scoring position? If they do, how many of those are done in the 8th inning with 2 outs?

How many times does a closer face the heart of the order? If he does with men on, it is usually because HE put them on base.

Every inning of every game is stressful for a pitcher. You limit that stress by allowing as few runners as possible.

A closer comes in and can go all out on every pitch, since he is likely throwing about 10-20 pitches in an inning. Much easier to close a game out than start and pitch 5-7 innings or more.

ok, now we have the opinion of a pitcher

i'm pretty sure brock is a catcher, so lets get his opinion

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always better to give than receive.

:hdn:

i

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^^^ AKA this thread is now getting a little weird....

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's not what I meant

AND

They give more than 1 so its longer to when u are able to get paroled:suds:

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
willie hernandez won it in 84 for the Tigers

Eck for the A's.....forget which year

it can be done

that was the worst voting in the History of the Cy Young and MVP awards....and its not even close...

look at the stats of that season and I think everyone was just starting to get hard ons for Closers in the 80's...

Closers are the MVP, teased high hair, fishnets, leg warmers, parachute pants and concert tshirts with the sleeves ripped off...all just terrible ideas.....well except the fishnets...so sue me.

also just mad because "classic" concert shirts are hotter than baseball cards in the 80's.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They may not always come in in that kind of situation, but find themselves in that situation rather frequently

Or coming in with a one-run lead and the tying run in scoring position.

Plus a poor inning for them almost always means a LOSS for the team. They get very few "No Decisions."

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may not always come in in that kind of situation, but find themselves in that situation rather frequently

Or coming in with a one-run lead and the tying run in scoring position.

Plus a poor inning for them almost always means a LOSS for the team. They get very few "No Decisions."

1. if they are in that situation rather frequently and didn't inherit it, then they made their own mess. Unless your a closer like Chris Perez, Jose Valverde and the like, this doesn't happen frequently.
2. Closers rarely enter a game with men on base unless it is the 8th inning. In those cases, there is more than likely 2 outs, so they need to retire one batter to get out of the "jam", and then they start a clean 9th. What would you say the percentage is that the situation you describe occurs? My guess would be less than 10%, and it might be closer to 5%.
3. No doubt, but a poor inning for a starter can mean a loss too. Did you watch the playoffs this season? It happened to Buchholz, Peavy, Sanchez, Scherzer, Wacha, Wainwright, Lynn, Kershaw. If a starter gets knocked out early, the bullpen is in the game earlier than intended. My point is that a "closer" only needs to get 3 outs; he comes in with a lead (sometimes of 3 runs); and often times he doesn't face the heart of the order.