• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Asuka Brown is a moron...I'm bored at work...Reed clears waivers

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this too

No player in Major League Baseball history has won the Most Valuable Player Award during a season in which their primary position was designated hitter.

so a DH and closer has no shot? un-cool if you ask me....

That may be simply because a position player had better stats in a given season. It may not necessarily be a bias against the DH.

RedSoxWorrld

Brock wears female undies
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may be simply because a position player had better stats in a given season. It may not necessarily be a bias against the DH.

its definitely a bias against the DH, at least partially

one could argue Ortiz had a year or two where he was the MVP of the league, and I think MVP goes beyond just numbers

the year Arod won one in Texas, forget the year, weren't they under .500? how valuable was he?

Floffman

Tailor Suit and Satchel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you please stop bitching about Manager of the Year when you win the World Series.

Thanks,

Everyone without an identity

RedSoxWorrld

Brock wears female undies
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you please stop bitching about Manager of the Year when you win the World Series.

Thanks,

Everyone without an identity

you're a day late, princess, and on the wrong board

and it wasn't bitching, it was discussing

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

one could argue Ortiz had a year or two where he was the MVP of the league, and I think MVP goes beyond just numbers

the year Arod won one in Texas, forget the year, weren't they under .500? how valuable was he?

Yes, they were under .500 and in last place in the AL West.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, the Rangers finished in last place all three years ARod was there.

Floffman

Tailor Suit and Satchel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're a day late, princess, and on the wrong board

and it wasn't bitching, it was discussing

Was in an all day meeting yesterday in Minnesota.

On a plane back to Philly right now for a work party at the North Bowl "the cool bowling ally" I am just glad its all you can drink.

Also Brock the stache is coming along good right now the handle bars are strong.

Floffman

Tailor Suit and Satchel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the MVP awards go to those who do not deliver or play in Soxtober

I know the personal accolades are nice but I am sure every player to ever win an MVP would trade it in for a WS Champ, Stanley Cup, etc.

Except maybe A Rod he actually is a POS.

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do they still give out the "Rolaids Relief Man" Award? These guys still get paid WAY more than they should, so excuse me if I don't cry them a river.

These guys pitch no more than one-third the innings of a starter and get paid better than most of them. Certainly no less than half of what a typical top starter gets.

To try to compare it to football, the closer is the equivalent of a backup QB coming in after the starter gets them down to the 5 yard line.

Maybe a better football comparison is the RB that runs it down to the 1 yard line, and then gets pulled for the "goal line back'.

you just made me think of something

how bout catchers? these guys call the game for the starting pitcher and closers.

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the personal accolades are nice but I am sure every player to ever win an MVP would trade it in for a WS Champ, Stanley Cup, etc.

Except maybe A Rod he actually is a POS.

let's not forget barry bonds and his 7 MVP's, 0 rings.

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that "Early" Barry would have want to win a champ, but do agree with "older" FU Barry loved the individual attn.

he loved buffets

do I think he did PED's? well ya, everyone does at some point. I still don't believe he actually injected himself with steroids tho.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I looked back at Edgar Martinez' 1995 season and I can agree there may be some bias. It looks like a DH is just going to have to blow the field away to win, and I can understand that. It's not all about offensive numbers, or at least it shouldn't be. If a position player is close to a DH in production, I would have to go with the position player.

Don Baylor won the MVP in 1979 splitting time between DH and OF. It is the only evidence I can find of a DH being named MVP.

I am also not a fan of the MVP being a player on a winning team or a team that makes the playoffs. The way I see the MVP is that he is the best player in the league. Just because a guy didn't have the talent around him to help shouldn't penalize him as the best player in the league.

Miguel Cabrera is a great hitter. But does he put up the numbers he did last year and this year if Prince Fielder is not hitting behind him?

Baseball is a team sport, so if you start saying Player A is better than Player B just because one was on a winning team, how is that fair? Those numbers Miggy had in 2012 were created because the players around him also did their job.

Miggy had 32 intentional walks in 2010 and 22 in 2011. Those numbers dropped to 17 and 19 in 2012 and 2013 after Fielder arrived.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you just made me think of something

how bout catchers? these guys call the game for the starting pitcher and closers.

Catchers win the MVP. It's hard for them because of the pounding they take behind the plate, but when one has a great offensive season, it is usually recognized, if not awarded with an MVP.

Isn't Yadi Molina an MVP finalist this season?

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catchers win the MVP. It's hard for them because of the pounding they take behind the plate, but when one has a great offensive season, it is usually recognized, if not awarded with an MVP.

Isn't Yadi Molina an MVP finalist this season?

I didn't see who the finalists were

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMPORTANT NEWS UPDATE for Yankees fans:

MLB and the NPB have not been able to reach agreement on a new posting system for players. This means that if no agreement is reached, Masahiro Tanaka will not be coming to America, and the Yankees will be shit out of luck. Shucks.

MLB would prefer the posting system be abolished completely, while the NPB would prefer more teams to be able to negotiate in the bidding process.