• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Astros to the AL West

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not heard any recent descriptions of the expanded playoffs.

I assume it is a 1-game playoff between the two WC teams? I like that idea, but I think it needs to be connected to a 4-1 home-field disadvantage for the winning team against the #1 seed, regardless of division. I am not sure if I saw this as a proposal, or just came up with it myself, though...

Not a fan of 100% interleague, though. Would rather expand by 2 teams to bring both leagues up to 16 or retract by two to bring both leagues down to 14.

I understand that will not happen, though.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sucks balls. More interleague = more DH = more non-baseball. Also, there is no good way to add another wild card team into the mix.

BudfuckingSelig.....

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I've thought about this for a bit. Have always wanted the Rangers to play in a division within its own time zone. Having the Astros is good for the Rangers; however, they still play in the West. Now, having odd numbers of teams creates a scheduling nightmare for both leagues. Would prefer to have interleague games throughout the season and a balanced schedule for all of the teams if the rules were the same for both leagues. They aren't.

Baseball needs to come up with some real solutions to its problems instead of just window dressing these things. So called "radical realignment" is a very good place to start along with killing the DH and expanding the 25 man to 28.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I've thought about this for a bit. Have always wanted the Rangers to play in a division within its own time zone. Having the Astros is good for the Rangers; however, they still play in the West. Now, having odd numbers of teams creates a scheduling nightmare for both leagues. Would prefer to have interleague games throughout the season and a balanced schedule for all of the teams if the rules were the same for both leagues. They aren't.

Baseball needs to come up with some real solutions to its problems instead of just window dressing these things. So called "radical realignment" is a very good place to start along with killing the DH and expanding the 25 man to 28.

+1. I like these ideas. I am skeptical (yet hopeful), as I'm sure you are, that they will ever be implemented.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would be so for this. I loathe the DH, it destroys the strategy of the game, and now with a "balanced" league it actually really sucks for the NL teams to have to account for a DH spot all year long now.

Though I'm not as for the extra 3 players, but I'd say if we kept the DH, allow 28/27 players, but if they get rid of the DH, keep it at 25 guys.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be so for this. I loathe the DH, it destroys the strategy of the game, and now with a "balanced" league it actually really sucks for the NL teams to have to account for a DH spot all year long now.

Though I'm not as for the extra 3 players, but I'd say if we kept the DH, allow 28/27 players, but if they get rid of the DH, keep it at 25 guys.

I think the idea there is that the union would never go along with getting rid of the old-age employment quota that we call the DH, but if they offered an extra 2-3 ML slots per team they might go along with it.

I too like the idea, and I too agree it's too radical and will never happen. Although I never saw the Astros-to-AL thing coming at all.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea there is that the union would never go along with getting rid of the old-age employment quota that we call the DH, but if they offered an extra 2-3 ML slots per team they might go along with it.

I too like the idea, and I too agree it's too radical and will never happen. Although I never saw the Astros-to-AL thing coming at all.

The Astros to AL thing has been thrown around quite a bit over the last few months in connection to the 2 WC plans, though I am surprised to see it actually come to fruition.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know about 28, but expanding to 26 in exchange for elimination of the DH seems fair. Contract two teams and play 14 in each league. No interleague and four seven team divisions. Two division winners and two wild card teams make the playoffs. No balanced schedule.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about 28, but expanding to 26 in exchange for elimination of the DH seems fair. Contract two teams and play 14 in each league. No interleague and four seven team divisions. Two division winners and two wild card teams make the playoffs. No balanced schedule.

I hate the idea of contracting teams. The Giants would not be threatened at all by that, but you got to feel for the teams that would. I almost (and still might) get my Kings taken away and it is a shitty feeling. Seattle is still feeling their loss too of the Sonics. I am just opposed to a contraction of any sorts. If we had 28 teams as of now, great system.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the idea of contracting teams. The Giants would not be threatened at all by that, but you got to feel for the teams that would. I almost (and still might) get my Kings taken away and it is a shitty feeling. Seattle is still feeling their loss too of the Sonics. I am just opposed to a contraction of any sorts. If we had 28 teams as of now, great system.

But Tampa Bay doesn't deserve a team -- they can't even draw for PLAYOFF games. Similarly, Oakland could go and nobody would care.

Shift Houston and Florida into the AL and....viola, 28 teams.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sucks balls. More interleague = more DH = more non-baseball. Also, there is no good way to add another wild card team into the mix.

BudfuckingSelig.....

I know, it's just awesome watching some guy struggle with the 7th and 8th hitters and having them get on with two outs only to have the pitcher come up. :rolleyes:

On the bright side it means the Mariners can finally get out of the cellar!

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, it's just awesome watching some guy struggle with the 7th and 8th hitters and having them get on with two outs only to have the pitcher come up. :rolleyes:

I honestly love the strategy associated with that situation. I know you were being facetious, and that is a funny statement. Honestly, though, when a pitcher has a chance to help himself, and actually does, there are few things more exciting and uplifting for a team and its fans.

And yes, the Angels and Rangers would certainly lose at least one good bat in the line-up, and the way the Mariners have built their roster, they would have a better shot at the division. As long as we're in a fantasy land where Bud would actually see this through, let's say they take the Series, as well. :)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do not love seeing a pitcher hit, outside of the comedic value.

What I do love is the strategy involved in having to decide whether a pitcher who is dealing should be taken out in a close game to try to get a run.

What I do love is that with the pitcher having to hit, the 11th and 12th pitchers on the staff, and the 12th or 13th bat on the bench are actually important cogs to the success of the ball club.

What I do love is the power of the double-switch.

What I do love is Bochy totally SCHOOLING Washington on the art of managing at the big-league level.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I do love is the strategy involved in having to decide whether a pitcher who is dealing should be taken out in a close game to try to get a run.

What I do love is that with the pitcher having to hit, the 11th and 12th pitchers on the staff, and the 12th or 13th bat on the bench are actually important cogs to the success of the ball club.

What I do love is Bochy totally SCHOOLING Washington on the art of managing at the big-league level.

Sorry John, I gotta concur with this. Nothing against the AL, just the DH has got to go. It's all part of the love for baseball strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, that's a little thing we like to call......BASEBALL.

But I guess you prefer 11-7 games with 9 pitchers used per team. Lots of "strategy" there.

AL manager: hmmm....Slingy Sorearm is losing it. Guess I'll put in Randy Reliever.

::three batters later::

wow, Randy sure is sucking, let's get Larry Lefty in the game.

No penalty for pitching changes, just pull 'em at will.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the strategy I was referring to. Well put. Probably still can't rep you.