• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: A's in for 3. Sept 13-15

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Burke’s arm is tiring out. Palumbo I think is near his pitch limit. That was one hot home stand

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By T.R. Sullivan @Sullivan_Ranger
1:00 PM CDT
Does the offseason cash flow toward Gerrit Cole or Anthony Rendon? Do we need starting pitching help more than third base or vice versa?
-- Tim P., Rockwall, Texas

That arrow points toward Rendon. An everyday power-hitting third baseman would have more impact than a starting pitcher. The problem with Rendon is if he starts looking for something more than five years in length. That could be a deal-breaker. Some clubs are starting to understand these 10-year megadeals are risky at the back end as guys like Albert Pujols, Troy Tulowitzki, Evan Longoria and Ryan Braun have shown.

Josh Donaldson might make more sense for the Rangers on a shorter term and for less money. That would leave them flexibility in the starting pitching market. Cole would be fantastic for Texas, but at the same price, would you rather have him for 33 games or Rendon for 150?

Could Adrian Beltre use his friendship with Felix Hernandez to lure Felix to end his career with the Rangers as a starting option, or as a converted closer?
-- Mark E., Grand Prairie, Texas

Yes, if the Rangers asked him, Beltre would certainly at least explain to Hernandez the advantages of playing in Arlington, However, you have to realize that Hernandez is no longer King Felix. He has been on the injured list five times in the past four years and has a 6.31 ERA in 13 starts for the Mariners. That said, Hernandez is only 33 years old. Now the Rangers don’t need to be dumpster diving this winter, but a Minor League contract loaded with incentives? Interesting.

If Rougned Odor finishes the season strong, does he become tradeable? Not asking if he should or shouldn't be, just would he be tradeable?
-- Bennie B., Fort Worth, Texas

No. The only way you trade Odor is if the Rangers eat a considerable amount of the $36 million owed to him over the next three season or they exchange it for another club’s bad contract. Neither appeal to the Rangers, nor should it. There are a couple of factors in play here.

One is Odor seems to have acquired some humility and understands that he needs to get better. The other is that he has been fed a ton of new information this season that was not easy to understand and/or apply quickly. One person who knows him well said give Odor an offseason to process everything and he’ll come back even stronger next year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not tradable = Not good enough to start

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By T.R. Sullivan @Sullivan_Ranger
1:00 PM CDT
Does the offseason cash flow toward Gerrit Cole or Anthony Rendon? Do we need starting pitching help more than third base or vice versa?
-- Tim P., Rockwall, Texas

That arrow points toward Rendon. An everyday power-hitting third baseman would have more impact than a starting pitcher. The problem with Rendon is if he starts looking for something more than five years in length. That could be a deal-breaker. Some clubs are starting to understand these 10-year megadeals are risky at the back end as guys like Albert Pujols, Troy Tulowitzki, Evan Longoria and Ryan Braun have shown.

Josh Donaldson might make more sense for the Rangers on a shorter term and for less money. That would leave them flexibility in the starting pitching market. Cole would be fantastic for Texas, but at the same price, would you rather have him for 33 games or Rendon for 150?

Could Adrian Beltre use his friendship with Felix Hernandez to lure Felix to end his career with the Rangers as a starting option, or as a converted closer?
-- Mark E., Grand Prairie, Texas

Yes, if the Rangers asked him, Beltre would certainly at least explain to Hernandez the advantages of playing in Arlington, However, you have to realize that Hernandez is no longer King Felix. He has been on the injured list five times in the past four years and has a 6.31 ERA in 13 starts for the Mariners. That said, Hernandez is only 33 years old. Now the Rangers don’t need to be dumpster diving this winter, but a Minor League contract loaded with incentives? Interesting.

If Rougned Odor finishes the season strong, does he become tradeable? Not asking if he should or shouldn't be, just would he be tradeable?
-- Bennie B., Fort Worth, Texas

No. The only way you trade Odor is if the Rangers eat a considerable amount of the $36 million owed to him over the next three season or they exchange it for another club’s bad contract. Neither appeal to the Rangers, nor should it. There are a couple of factors in play here.

One is Odor seems to have acquired some humility and understands that he needs to get better. The other is that he has been fed a ton of new information this season that was not easy to understand and/or apply quickly. One person who knows him well said give Odor an offseason to process everything and he’ll come back even stronger next year.
I just do not see Donaldson wanting to come here first of all and he being a good fit with the Rangers (and fans) for many reasons because of past history.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to FA this offseason, go big or go home.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying Odor has been inconsistent is a huge understatement. Yet he leads the team in HRs and RBI. In the off-season they will write it off and hope for a better year from him next year.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying Odor has been inconsistent is a huge understatement. Yet he leads the team in HRs and RBI. In the off-season they will write it off and hope for a better year from him next year.

I can’t be the only one disappointed that they’re going to overlook 3 bad years in a row from this guy.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he didn't have a bad year last year
He had a really good 2 months last year. Before and after that he was terrible.

That is the whole reason management thought he needed to reinvent himself as a hitter this year. They thought he had a bad year last year.

Last edited:

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not tradable = Not good enough to start

Well my take is he at least thinks it is currently a bad contract but he thinks processing everything gives him a chance to better assimilate the teaching presented. Per on person who knows him. Ha. Good question

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saddles. Perhaps another question for TR is -- where do you see Solak fitting in next year?

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess management is content to use the “next year” mantra with odor until 2023. His option will be picked up because he’s made progress and he will be extended again because of his attitude and clubhouse presence.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saddles. Perhaps another question for TR is -- where do you see Solak fitting in next year?
I already know what his answer will be. 3B. That is the easiest way to keep running Rougned out there every day. That seems to be one of the biggest goals of the front office these days

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess management is content to use the “next year” mantra with odor until 2023. His option will be picked up because he’s made progress and he will be extended again because of his attitude and clubhouse presence.
The organizational failure that keeps on giving.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already know what his answer will be. 3B. That is the easiest way to keep running Rougned out there every day. That seems to be one of the biggest goals of the front office these days
I hope you are wrong

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well my take is he at least thinks it is currently a bad contract but he thinks processing everything gives him a chance to better assimilate the teaching presented. Per on person who knows him. Ha. Good question
Have you ever heard of a change in someone's hitting being this long of a process? It is a new one on me. It reeks of an excuse, not a reason.

This is the third change he has supposedly adjusted to over the past couple of seasons. One last summer, one in ST this year and now this one. I guess when Odor regresses again they will embark on another 12-18 month long change and tell us we need to be patient.

The front office and their media member fan club are losing every last bit of credibility with this. It has become laughable.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he backed off Rendon a bit but acted like we would pursue Donaldson.
But why do this if Solak is destined for 3B