• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

As a 1st round pick, how bad do you have to be?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So out of those called out, which one was given a second (or third) chance and was able to be an actual contributor? Not needing to be a star after being cut, but just able to latch onto a team and put in a few years of actual service?

Seems like former 1st rounders are almost always given a second chance just based on "talent" alone. I

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. Too often, a team could be too proud to admit a 1st rd mistake. That's the only saving grace for teams like the Niners and Browns--they weren't too proud to get rid of players that stunk even though they were 1st rd picks. Don't go throwing good money after bad.

You don't throw away a first round investment after 1 year (unless there are other factors besides play on the field).

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell did you win 3 Superbowls with no firsts through all of the 70s and most of the 80s? And what we're all of these picks traded for?

Combination of things that probably cannot be duplicated at this time. I know that Beathard was the GM during a lot of that time & had a reputation of trading future high picks for current picks (e.g. getting another team's 2nd rd pick for next years 1st). He also did very well w/ later picks (and UFAs) & obviously not so much for higher ones. This is where they found players like Schlereth, Manley, Daryl Grant, Jacoby & Bostic. They also benefited greatly when the USFL folded & picked up players like Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders & Doug Williams.

This was also in the era with limited movement & no salary cap so they could retain players for a long time. Just a perfect storm & again something that probably can't be done in this era.

A lot of the picks in the 70s were during the George Allen era & he pretty much traded all of his high picks since he hated rookies. The fact that his teams won is amazing since they looked more like a rec league team full of old men. The fact that they made it to a SB is just ridiculous.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So out of those called out, which one was given a second (or third) chance and was able to be an actual contributor? Not needing to be a star after being cut, but just able to latch onto a team and put in a few years of actual service?

Seems like former 1st rounders are almost always given a second chance just based on "talent" alone. I
Brandon Weedon is probably the best of the bunch from what I've seen. He could probably start for the Broncos.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may have been mentioned, but Im always fascinated by how front office types have to protect their high picks, in essence, protecting their own employment

For instance, in a strong QB class upcoming, what if the LA Rams figure out what most of us had months ago? That Jared Goff was a big mistake?.....What if one of these QB's this season grew into the next cant miss Andrew Luck, and the Rams had a chance to take him in the next draft? Would they? Not a chance

Im a firm believer a lot of people in the Fins organization know Ryan Tannehill will never lead them anywhere, but its as if the leash has to be so long for these Top picks, especially at QB, even when some higher ups know it will never work out

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Berwanger Eagles the 1st guy ever drafted never played a single game in the NFL now granted it was over money ( wanted $1,000 per game) and everyone thought Bosa was dumb :suds:

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't throw away a first round investment after 1 year (unless there are other factors besides play on the field).
The Niners, Redskins, and Broncos all did.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barbie Carpenter FTW

:L
Great example. It was pretty clear he wasn't starter material after just 2 years, but Dallas waited 4 years to get rid of him.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners, Redskins, and Broncos all did.

Then they should be ashamed of their evaluation process in those particular instances. What players are we talking about in these cases?

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A players mentality is the other half besides their play on the field IMO.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If it looks like a player is a train wreck mentally, then I agree...it's a whole different situation.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it looks like a player is a train wreck mentally, then I agree...it's a whole different situation.
Yeah and we are less likely to get much info about a players mental state if he were to be released because of it. Other than simply having an attitude problem or whatever. Just my guess on what potential factors could contribute to the situation.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they should be ashamed of their evaluation process in those particular instances.
I'm sure they were.

What players are we talking about in these cases?
Their names are in posts #1 and #6.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they were.

Their names are in posts #1 and #6.

I said "unless there are other factors besides play on the field" Mental health problems certainly qualify as that, so that eliminates Underwood. Trading one first rounder for another doesn't qualify as giving up on your investment (you are simply changing your portfolio), so that eliminates Jenkins. That leaves Andre Johnson.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. It's tough to know what a kid has mentally. Will the kid want it badly enough to work harder in the NFL than he did in college? Will he be ok away from his family/friends? Can he learn the playbook? When football is the biggest part of his life for 6 months, is it worth it to him? Niner fans all remember Rashaun Woods. Physically, he could have been a great WR. Mentally, he was soft and didn't care enough about football to put in the work (physical and film room) required at the NFL level.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said "unless there are other factors besides play on the field" Mental health problems certainly qualify as that, so that eliminates Underwood. Trading one first rounder for another doesn't qualify as giving up on your investment (you are simply changing your portfolio), so that eliminates Jenkins. That leaves Andre Johnson.
Both Jenkins and Baldwin were going to be cut if they weren't traded. That's getting something instead of nothing. Besides, they were traded b/c of their play on the field (or lack thereof).

Jenkins and Johnson were shipped out due to their play on the field. Plain and simple. The Skins knew that Johnson was a bust by the end of his first TC. It was that bad.

And you forgot about Ted Gregory. He had knee issues. Played just one year for the Saints before a knee injury ended his career.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The short answer is no. I think most of us remember Tony Mandarich busting as a top OT, but eventually becoming a decent OG. Unfortunately, there is no such success story in this group. You'd think out of all that talent, at least a couple of them would be decent contributors.

Out of the One-Year's--Underwood never played. Gregory played 1 year, recording his only sack (John Elway). Johnson only played in 3 games over his 3 year career (Skins, Phins, Lions). Jenkins, in 3 years (1 SF, 2 KC), has a career total of 17 catches for 223 yards and 4 rushes for 4 yards.

The 2 year guys are really where the contributors have to come from. You know it's bad when Brandon Weeden is the best of the bunch. In his 4 years, Maybin (the 11th overall pick) ended up with 25 tackles and 6 sacks. After busting as the Browns' starter, B.Weeden is a bottom 10 backup that's currently unemployed. Dominique Easley still has some potential to be a decent rotational D-lineman. The rest of them quickly washed out of the league. Damn, that's sad.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. It's tough to know what a kid has mentally. Will the kid want it badly enough to work harder in the NFL than he did in college? Will he be ok away from his family/friends? Can he learn the playbook? When football is the biggest part of his life for 6 months, is it worth it to him? Niner fans all remember Rashaun Woods. Physically, he could have been a great WR. Mentally, he was soft and didn't care enough about football to put in the work (physical and film room) required at the NFL level.
Then there is Titus Young(doesn't qualify for your OP but...). Basically brain damage cause his mental issues. Pretty sad.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Jenkins and Baldwin were going to be cut if they weren't traded. That's getting something instead of nothing. Besides, they were traded b/c of their play on the field (or lack thereof).

Jenkins and Johnson were shipped out due to their play on the field. Plain and simple. The Skins knew that Johnson was a bust by the end of his first TC. It was that bad.

And you forgot about Ted Gregory. He had knee issues. Played just one year for the Saints before a knee injury ended his career.

Injury is obviously another factor besides play on the field. I only see one possible case where a team gave up on a first round investment entirely due to play on the field that first year and that's Johnson. You just don't give up on that kind of investment that easily.