• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are We Any Better Now?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing from end of 2015 to where we are now;

C- Zunino/Sucre
Now - Ianetta/Clevenger

1B- Morrison/Montero
Now- Montero

2B- Cano
Now- Cano

3B- Seager
Now- Seager

SS- Marte
Now- Marte

LF- Guti/Smith
Now- Guti/Smith

CF- Miller/O'Malley
Now- Martin/O'Malley

RF- Cruz
Now- Cruz

DH- Trumbo
Now- Montero

SP's- Felix/Kuma/Walker/Paxton/Elias
Now- Felix/Walker/Paxton/Karns/Elias

RP's- Nuno/Smith/Wilhelmsen/Furbush/Beimel/Farquhar/Zych
Now- Nuno/Smith/Furbush/Zych/Bass/Benoit/Rienfenhauser

I know it is still early, but haven't seen enough vertical changes only lateral changes.

Bold = New
Italic = Gone

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea obviously if they had to go out and play a game tomorrow they look worse on paper. Free Agency hasnt really started yet so we will see what happens.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea obviously if they had to go out and play a game tomorrow they look worse on paper. Free Agency hasnt really started yet so we will see what happens.

But I read today we are currently at $114.5M payroll. If we stay with lasts years, we have $20M to spend and we need RF, 1B or DH, 2 RP's, 1 SP. Looks like we are about $33M away from filling these spots with contributing type players.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumped a lot of dead weight and picked up a bunch of team controlled players that can be used later as trade pieces.

Unless he gets a huge payroll bump, it'll take JeDi awhile to turn the shambles that z left into an organization that can contend perennially, which is what seems to be his goal.

Right now, pitching is the only thing of value we have to deal that any team will be willing to give up what we need for. Catch-22 by definition.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumped a lot of dead weight and picked up a bunch of team controlled players that can be used later as trade pieces.

Unless he gets a huge payroll bump, it'll take JeDi awhile to turn the shambles that z left into an organization that can contend perennially, which is what seems to be his goal.

Right now, pitching is the only thing of value we have to deal that any team will be willing to give up what we need for. Catch-22 by definition.

But time is not on Dipoto's side. Felix/Cano/Cruz have a 3 year shelf life as high priced contributors. Unless you are dealing them and getting new building blocks, 3 years!

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently no.... New holes and old holes still need to be dealt with. Question is will the team be were it needs to be by spring?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently no.... New holes and old holes still need to be dealt with. Question is will the team be were it needs to be by spring?

And that is what worries me. Is Dipoto using multiple trades to disguise the fact they still need the substance? I mean it looks like they are really busy, but are basically in the same place. My pessimism for all things Mariners is seeping through again. I so wanted to be a Mariner optimist.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting pitching remains my biggest concern. Even if they resign Kuma I still think they are an arm short. Given the contracts given to Happ and Price so far nothing will come cheap. Either will need to get creative or open the wallet.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the Right Field, Designated Hitter situation go, we are most definitely better.

Aoki replaces Nelson Cruz in RF. This is a huge defensive upgrade.

Cruz now becomes our full time DH, so, Aoki basically replaces Trumbo in the lineup. Trumbo struck out in 26% of his plate appearances last year. Aoki struck out in only 6%. Trumbo obviously has more power but their OPS are virtually the same. Trumbo slugs for a higher average, Aoki has a higher OBP. Aoki gets the edge over Trumbo at the plate because he puts the ball in play way more often than Trumbo when he makes an out.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say, barely... That's only if we deal for Aoki... We need guys to get on base in front of our boppers... Aoki would definitely improve our situation there from last season...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say that I'm much more comfortable with our outfield than last year.

Nori Aoki is a solid, consistent hitter who gets on base, plays solid defense and runs well. We now have someone (Martin) capable of playing centerfield at a high level defensively.

I'd say that we are a bit better, it's more from a defensive/OBP perspective though.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The moves the Mariners have made so far won't jump out on the stat sheet, but I think it'll translate to wins. Our outfield was so terrible defensively last year, I can't imagine how many runs they gave up due to poor defense. With Aoki and Martin added, and Miller/Cruz taken out of the outfield, the Mariners improved drastically from a defensive standpoint.

1st is now a huge problem. When we had Trumbo, we at least had something, now we have basically nothing.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st is now a huge problem. When we had Trumbo, we at least had something, now we have basically nothing.
Huge problem yes but I have to keep telling myself that DiPoto wouldn't trade away two first basemen unless he had a different plan or direction he wanted to go.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outfield vastly improved so ++

Infield same with exception of no real 1B so -

SP's same with Karns replacing Kuma so far so - because I think it needs to be improved big time and if it doesn't it is a minus.

RP's to me is = so again - because it needs big improvement.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still asking the question and I guess maybe this week it will be answered...though I think I already know the answer.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outfield vastly improved so ++

Infield same with exception of no real 1B so -

SP's same with Karns replacing Kuma so far so - because I think it needs to be improved big time and if it doesn't it is a minus.

RP's to me is = so again - because it needs big improvement.
I really question what the plan is at 1B. I think the only obvious upgrades so far for the team is the outfield, like you pointed out. I really don't love the rotation right now and I think bringing Kuma back still doesn't fix it.