• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are there reliable NFL statistics that are "weighted" across era?

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah okay, I'm kind of just learning about advanced stats in baseball. Which is why I was hoping there was some for the NFL
ISO is just SLG-BA. Its purpose is to isolate a hitter's power. Most people will just use SLG as a measure of a player's power, but if a player has a higher SLG because he hits more singles, he isn't really a better power hitter. For example: Josh Reddick has a higher SLG than Joey Gallo. But that's because Reddick has 36 more singles than Gallo

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ISO is just SLG-BA. Its purpose is to isolate a hitter's power. Most people will just use SLG as a measure of a player's power, but if a player has a higher SLG because he hits more singles, he isn't really a better power hitter. For example: Josh Reddick has a higher SLG than Joey Gallo. But that's because Reddick has 36 more singles than Gallo

Yeah, I know what ISO is. I just had it mixed-up. Thanks for correcting me, or else I would have gone on spouting that for a while. lol

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how well you could rely on stats that try and capture different eras when the game has changed so much over the years.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem lies with players like Eli Manning. Who some will say is a HOF player, because of his two rings. Then you'll look at his numbers, out of context and compare them to HOF QB's. There absolutely will be people who don't realize why him and Elway being similar in yardage is not the same thing.

I don't disagree with you on that. I just think we should have numbers that help us better view a players career, in context to the era he played in. It seems like you agree.

In a nutshell...yes, I agree the stats in the NFL should be era weighted.

I used a MLB analogy and that probably was the best because MLB has always been a stats driven sport. Hits, strikeouts, HRs, stolen bases, etc. Not so much in the NFL...remember they didn't even start keeping track of sacks until '82.

So a guy like Eli Manning having similar passing yards to Elway does not make them equal talents in any way and should not boost his stock for the HOF. That said, I do think he will get in largely because of his play in those to SB wins, not just being on the winning team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how well you could rely on stats that try and capture different eras when the game has changed so much over the years.

Yeah that is one of the big issues compared to other sports. Baseball and basketball for the most part have kept the same rules for quite some time. A few little changes here and there but otherwise still the same sport from quite a while ago. The NFL well every year we have a long list of rules that have changed from the year before. I'm sure QB's like Marino, Elway, and others would have loved to have the no contact beyond 5 yards for their WR's.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that is one of the big issues compared to other sports. Baseball and basketball for the most part have kept the same rules for quite some time. A few little changes here and there but otherwise still the same sport from quite a while ago. The NFL well every year we have a long list of rules that have changed from the year before. I'm sure QB's like Marino, Elway, and others would have loved to have the no contact beyond 5 yards for their WR's.

Yes, exactly. And before that DBs could mug receivers downfield. The game has changed so much.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, exactly. And before that DBs could mug receivers downfield. The game has changed so much.

The group that is always fun to listen to are the trench guys. They used to just pretty much get into a slug fest 20-30 years ago and holding wasn't really a huge deal. They let those men regulate themselves in a way. Nowadays I'm almost shocked if holding isn't called on a play.

How you could hit a QB is another big one. Used to be if you got a free shot at the QB do everything possible to make sure they remember you. Now a big hit on a QB is excessive. So yes trying to compare offenses of today to offenses of 20 years ago is just about impossible.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a nutshell...yes, I agree the stats in the NFL should be era weighted.

I used a MLB analogy and that probably was the best because MLB has always been a stats driven sport. Hits, strikeouts, HRs, stolen bases, etc. Not so much in the NFL...remember they didn't even start keeping track of sacks until '82.

So a guy like Eli Manning having similar passing yards to Elway does not make them equal talents in any way and should not boost his stock for the HOF. That said, I do think he will get in largely because of his play in those to SB wins, not just being on the winning team.

I don't think Eli Manning even belongs on a HOF ballot. Much less in the HOF. However, that's a different conversation, for another thread.

He played well in one of the two SB's he won. So did Jim Plunkett (also SB MVP)

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost in those numbers is that Elway would play like complete crap for three quarters only to tear it up in the 4th. Many of his games were like that - hence the difficulty in quantifying "clutch" with basic global stats.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points made in this thread. I think the most you can do, accurately, is compare players within the same era. How do you account for overall physical enhancement in players; i.e., taller, heavier, faster, stronger specimens?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Eli Manning even belongs on a HOF ballot. Much less in the HOF. However, that's a different conversation, for another thread.

He played well in one of the two SB's he won. So did Jim Plunkett (also SB MVP)

Maybe we should take this outside Richi! LOL

Agreed, let's not muddy up this thread with it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Johnny Bench was better defensively than Pudge. Caught stealing is not the be all end all of catching