• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are there any GREAT rivalry's in the NFL like there use to be?

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm speaking as an outsider... Obviously I think the rivalry between the Hawks/49ers is a lot better than most others view it right now, it's because i'm a fan of the team and SF is the team I hate the most... Same with your situation...

The past few years, this rivalry isn't as fun to watch for the reasons I stated... JMO...

FTR, I never said it wasn't a good rivalry anymore...

If the games are still heated even when the games aren't competitive, that's still a rivalry but still there needs to be some competitiveness. Oakland Raiders/Chiefs used to be huge... In the 60's and 70's.. Now not so much.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt Peyton just beat Brady last year to go to the Super Bowl? Or are you suggesting that Peyton owns Brady which is also wrong?
Yes PayAton beat Brady last year finally. Brady has beaten Peyton twice as many times that's owning someone IMHO. How did Peyton do this year against Brady and the Pats?

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will so miss the Manning/Brady showdowns.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get excited for all the AFC West rivalries, and despite both teams sucking this season, the Falcons-Saints rivalry is pretty intense.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will so miss the Manning/Brady showdowns.

My sentiments exactly. Too bad there isn't another dominant QB in The NFC to build a rivalry against A-Rog. Sorry Seattle, Dallas, or SF your QBs just aren't in the same class. All are good QBs, well except Kapernik (sp) but not at they level. Maybe Brees has a chance if NO gets back on track.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the games are still heated even when the games aren't competitive, that's still a rivalry but still there needs to be some competitiveness. Oakland Raiders/Chiefs used to be huge... In the 60's and 70's.. Now not so much.

Ahh but even when the Raiders have been less than world-beaters they still can give their div rivals fits, in a game that really mattered for the Chefs, this year the Raiders got up and off the schnide. And it wasn't too long ago when they won all their division games. I know there is still pride in Oakland, and it wont be long before they will make a statement.

I remember the back-in-the-day, Madden vs Stram, Stabler vs Dawson, Halloween always seemed to be about the time those awesome games would come up, we probably never see anything quite like it again, but some things are meant to be.... nostalgic.

Ksfnslayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's done for good, or at least in the same way as it was. A big part of the rivalry was Carrol vs Harbaugh coming from their college days. That's not coming back.

Judging by the coaching styles of Arians and Fisher, I can see those teams becoming Seattle rivals before SF gets back to that level again.

That mostly depends on the coaching that is brought in. I think there is definitely a chance they could be better next year, the players are right in the mix with the division level. This was a year very wrought with distractions and that may improve considerably.