• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are there any GREAT rivalry's in the NFL like there use to be?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,571.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2000-2010 or so, the Ravens/Steelers were off the charts, easily one of the best, if not the best during that span... Seems like that has lost some momentum, with the decline of both of their defenses... Obviously, it's still a great rivalry amongst their fan base...

Green Bay vs Chicago use to be great but it doesn't help when Chicago hasn't been very good the past few years... That has lost some luster, outside their fan base...

Dallas vs Philly is still a very good rivalry, same with Dallas vs Skins... Helk vs the Giants too....I can see these rivalries beginning to heat up again with Dallas playing as well as they have...

Broncos vs Raiders use to be a great rivalry but the Raiders have thrown that out the window with how bad they've been the past decade plus...

Seahawks vs 49ers was a great rivalry for two years but i'm afraid that's going to go bye bye... It's been tough for any team in the NFC West to build a true rivalry w/out much history, especially since the Hawks have pretty much owned that division since they've been there...

Dolphins vs Bills use to be fantastic but they've both been bad or below mediocre the past several seasons, it's tough to remember that they are indeed rivals...

I personally enjoy the P.Manning vs Brady matchups... That is probably my favorite rivalry at the moment....

The NFC South and AFC South don't have much to speak of when it comes to heated rivalries outside their fan base....

All in all, who are the heated rivalries anymore these days? The rivalries don't feel the same these days like they did a few years back... I'm speaking to fans outside of your teams rival...

As a fan, what matchups do you enjoy watching that do not involve your favorite team?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man... we must have really got your panties in a wad in the other thread

And yes this is off topic.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,571.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man... we must have really got your panties in a wad in the other thread

Not at all... I was hoping to discuss rivalries with you guys... I respected Harold's wishes and decided not to post in your thread any longer... What's wrong with that? So I started my own thread so I could respond to posts outside your thread... Again, what is wrong with that?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NY Jets vs Competency and Raiders vs Relevancy is still going on strong but its getting pretty darn one sided.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On topic...

GB vs. CHI is still pretty good. Even if it hasn't been as competitive lately you can still tell they hate each other which makes for good entertainment regardless of the outcome.

Aside from that, I like watching the Baltimore vs. New England games as well... Those ones always seem to get heated.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,571.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NY Jets vs Competency and Raiders vs Relevancy is still going on strong but its getting pretty darn one sided.

LOL... That's a great way to phrase that... :10:

When the Raiders are good, it's always good for the NFL... I keep rooting for that team to get on the map again because they are fun to hate when they're good...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all... I was hoping to discuss rivalries with you guys... I respected Harold's wishes and decided not to post in your thread any longer... What's wrong with that? So I started my own thread so I could respond to posts outside your thread... Again, what is wrong with that?

Fair enough...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,571.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On topic...

GB vs. CHI is still pretty good. Even if it hasn't been as competitive lately you can still tell they hate each other which makes for good entertainment regardless of the outcome.

Aside from that, I like watching the Baltimore vs. New England games as well... Those ones always seem to get heated.

Good point... And don't get me wrong, the Ravens vs Steelers is still a blast to watch, even from an outsiders perspective... I just miss the days when they both had great defenses where the games were like 13-10; 9-6 and so on... I always made sure I tuned in for those games... I like the Steelers so i'll usually watch them no matter who they play...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas vs Philly... Pretty decent now that Dallas is finally relevant. I'm still not sold on any team from the NFC east though. It's been a pretty paltry division for a while, so hard to shake that habit.

Broncos vs Raiders... Should gain some momentum once Carr gets more acquainted. But will it be any good once Manning retires?

Seahawks vs 49ers... Definitely was a great rivalry for a few years but yea we can all agree that it's going to be a few seasons before this one heats up again. They setup a good foundation for it though.

Dolphins vs Bills... 2 of the better defenses in the NFL right now. Something every fan can be entertained by is smash-mouth football. I think MIA has a lot of good things going right now, with exception to Mike Wallace. BUF is still young, but they are going to be dangerous in a year or 2.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raiders and the rest of the NFL

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point... And don't get me wrong, the Ravens vs Steelers is still a blast to watch, even from an outsiders perspective... I just miss the days when they both had great defenses where the games were like 13-10; 9-6 and so on... I always made sure I tuned in for those games... I like the Steelers so i'll usually watch them no matter who they play...

It's been a couple of "retooling" years. But I have confidence that it will return to that sort of play in the coming years (if the NFL allows defenses to be relevant again :whistle:)

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a couple of "retooling" years. But I have confidence that it will return to that sort of play in the coming years (if the NFL allows defenses to be relevant again :whistle:)

We will definately get back there, but the Ravens will take a lot longer to get back as long as they puke out most of the salary cap to Mushmouth and Bert.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks vs 49ers... Definitely was a great rivalry for a few years but yea we can all agree that it's going to be a few seasons before this one heats up again. They setup a good foundation for it though.

I think it's done for good, or at least in the same way as it was. A big part of the rivalry was Carrol vs Harbaugh coming from their college days. That's not coming back.

Judging by the coaching styles of Arians and Fisher, I can see those teams becoming Seattle rivals before SF gets back to that level again.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's done for good, or at least in the same way as it was. A big part of the rivalry was Carrol vs Harbaugh coming from their college days. That's not coming back.

Judging by the coaching styles of Arians and Fisher, I can see those teams becoming Seattle rivals before SF gets back to that level again.

Most likely. Even the Cards! But I still think Sherman can create a rivalry out of any matchup... And how can we forget the GB vs. SEA??? Thanks to some great officiating!

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early 90's Cowboys vs 49er's was the best, most intense football I've ever seen. Will never forget Emmitt and Irvin hugging each other and both of them crying at candlestick after their bid for a 3 peat ended in the NFC Championship. I knew nothing was gonna stop them the next year. Not many guys seem to give a shit like that anymore

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early 90's Cowboys vs 49er's was the best, most intense football I've ever seen. Will never forget Emmitt and Irvin hugging each other and both of them crying at candlestick after their bid for a 3 peat ended in the NFC Championship. I knew nothing was gonna stop them the next year. Not many guys seem to give a shit like that anymore

Guess you missed the part where the OP said "does not involve your favorite team" lol

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason a lot my favorite rivalry's involve the Steelers. Raiders vs Steelers was a good one for a while. However I think when Steelers, Ravens and Jags were good teams, it was maybe the best of times for a rivalry. These three teams knocked the crap out each other, players not even involved as far as where the ball was going would clobber each other. Man was that fun to watch.
Lots of other good rivals no doubt. Cowboys vs 49ers was good for a bit, many others also. There really isn't a best rivalry IMO.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there any GREAT rivalry's in the NFL like there use to be?

Not really, not right now anyway.

Seahawks and 49'ers was very good for a short period of time but it looks like that's quickly come to an end. There are a handful of solid division rivalries that are worth watching for the playoff implications, etc. but nothing that really compares to the Raiders and Steelers, Dallas and Green Bay, or even Dallas and San Francisco from decades past.

This happens though. It's a tough league to stay relevant in and there's far more parity in today's game.