• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Wizards for Real?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At one time this season on the Hoop there has been a lot of talk about the Raptors when they started off hot, the Hawks with their winning streak, the larger than life Cavs, and the deep and talented Bulls.

The one Eastern Conference Contender that has kinda slipped under the radar here is the Wizards. They are 29-15 which basically makes them tied with Chicago, Toronto for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th spots in the East.

They give up the 4th least points in the East and score the 6th most so they appear to be a balanced team. They lead the East in FG% at over 47%. As a team they are 2nd in the East in 3pt% at 38% which is a great advantage though that number is misleading since they are 15th (LAST) in the East in 3 point attempts.

It makes you wonder why they do not shoot more 3's since their efficiency is so great on them. For reference sake Toronto takes the most 3'sin the East at about 26 a game. Washington takes the least at 16 a game and the 2nd least is the Bobcats at 19 a game- so they are last by a good margin in attempts.

Rebounding wise they are 5th in the league. They really do not appear to have a glaring weakness anywhere as in just about every category they are in the top third of the East.

Starting Lineup
PG-Wall
SG- Beal
SF- Pierce
PF- Nene
C- Gortat

I think the Wizards starting lineup is the 5th best in the East after the Cavs, Bulls, Hawks and Raptors respectively- and right in front of the Heat and Bobcats. Gortat has really established himself as a legit center and a fringe all star at 12 and 8 with almost 55% shooting. He has proved worthy of his extension.

I think everyone thought Beal was on the cusp of turning into a guy worthy of all star consideration but instead of progressing he has actually taken some steps back in his play. He is shooting under 42%, and scoring less than 15 a game while seeing his turnovers tick upward slightly. His 3 pt shooting has been absolutely superb though. He should probably make a few all star teams in his career but it will def not be this year. He is a good player right now but DeRozan, Butler, Korver, Wade, are all better- and Joe Johnson, Avery Bradley, Victor Oladipo and the rejuvenated Jr Smith are not too far off from his level of play. If he gets going like he did the last half of the season like he did last year- the Wiz go from very good to downright dangerous but if he continues this level of play by merely matching opposing SGs on good teams- the Wiz are in trouble. He is very important to the Wizards.

They have done a great job of limiting Pierce's minutes to about 26 a game- who continues to play efficient basketball- and of course he is a great leader and clutch performer. He is a guy you trust with the ball in his hands at the end of the game- but he was never an amazing athlete- and at his age his defense has really started to slip and he is a liability against quick SF's.

Nene has had a lot of injuries, and is getting up there in age. While once he used to be a super efficient player who was a monster on the boards- he has regressed- Humphries off the bench actually averages more rebounds. Nene is only at 11.1 pts and 5.3 rebounds on 25 minutes a night. Its a good thing the Wiz have plenty of front court depth- because I think Nene is their biggest hole in the starting lineup at this point in his career.

John Wall has really come into his own as a big time all-star player. #1 in the NBA in assists at 17 pts, 10 assists and 4 rebounds a game. He is definitely one of the top 5 athletes in todays NBA- and the 2nd most athletic PG after the INSANE Russ Westbrook. The only part of his game that is sub-par is his 3 pt shooting at only 30%. His FG% is about 46% which is solid but not spectacular considering the few 3's he takes. He is #2 in the league in steals and is a defensive force. I think he is solidly a top 20 player- and could make a case for the top 10-15. He does turn the ball over a lot 3.7 a game- only 2PGs turn it over more often but Beal does not handle the ball much so he almost always has the ball in his hands. At age 24 he is right at the beginning of his prime and playing amazing basketball.

Last postseason Wall played in 11 games. The Wiz beat a rose-less chicago in the first round. overall though Wall only scored about 16 pts a game in the post season and shot a paltry 36.5% and only 22% from 3 with a dip in assists to only 7 a game. It was his first post-season experience so some fall off can be expected- but if the Wiz are going to win a series this year in a much-improved East- they will need a LOT more from Wall- instead of the regression we saw in last years playoff.

In the playoffs teams usually go to substantively 8 man rotations with a 9th and maybe 10th guy that get small minutes here and there. The best bench players on the Wizards are Kris Humphries, the returning Martell Webster, Rasual Butler (who will see his minutes go down to Webster), Andre Miller and Otto Porter. Humphries is solid and actually #2 in rebounding on their team. Webster has the highest ceiling and is the one impact guy on their bench in my opinion when healthy but he has had a bad back and not played all season until recently. Miller hardly plays anymore but is still crafty.

the Bulls with Mirotic, Gibson, Heinrich, Snell and Brooks i think have the best bench in the east. Gibson and Mirotic are both big time impact bench players- and Heinrich and Brooks bring different looks- defense and offense respectively- The Cavs bench is not deep- but Tristan Thompson and Jr Smith are high impact bench guys, and Marion and Miller are solid vets- TT and Smith would each be the best bench guy on theWiz...Toronto with Lou Williams and Patrick Patterson are both big impact bench guys- Greivs Vazquez might be the best bench Pg in the East. I dont know anything about most of the Hawks bench guys for the most part. Schroeder i do know i guess- and i think he can be a good player one day and start- and Sefolosha plays very solid perimter D off the bench and can guard ones, twos or threes...

i just really dont think much of the Wizards bench- sure they have a deep bench- for big guys alone Humprhies, Blair, Gooden, Seraphin...but are any of them really any good?

All in All- with a fairly healthy Rose, the addition of Gasol and Mirotic, and the development of Butler- i have to give Chicago the edge as long as Butler can slow down Wall. Nene has declined and gasol should tear him up while Gortat and Noah fight eachother to a relative standstill. Pierce does give them a leadership/clutch aspect- but against the Cavs they really have no one that can even slow down Lebron. LeBron would eat Pierce alive at this point- and Kyrie can play Wall to a relatively even position. Nene would get eaten alive by Love and cant run out to the perimeter and back. Shumpert was brought in to specifically slow down guys like Beal or Bron can move to covering Wall while shump covers Pierce-. The Wiz will have a very hard time stopping the Hawks offense- but they should be able to score on a Hawks defensive backcourt of Teague and Korver which is pretty soft-

The Wiz really need to get the 3 seed or i think they are busted first round. If they can get the 3 seed and stay away from the top 4 east teams (not counting themselves)- they can move on- but if they have to play the Hawks, raptors, Cavs or bulls first round

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think anyone will read all of that?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If by you mean "for real" you mean semi final in the east, then yes... They are for real

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Wall us for real that's for sure

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think anyone will read all of that?

I have no clue- if they dont want to that is totally their option.

I mean, i read a ton...I would read a post like that- but i think your right in that a lot of people would not.

Not that not reading that post is indicative of this- but the people that always bragged in school about never reading books or bragging about dodging reading always struck me as absolutely ridiculous. Who brags about not reading???

I was actually trying to do a decent analysis- and to do so you gotta look at stats and compare them to other teams etc....and its not something that you can do in just a few sentences....

for example it struck me as a big time plus for the Wiz that they were 2nd in the east in 3 pt %- but thats misleading because they take BY FAR the least amount of 3's i n the league...you need that context to get a decent idea of whats going on.....

otherwise you can just cherry pick stats and make them seem like whatever you want them to like some people on here...

but- whether you want to read or not- is your option for sure- id like to read other peoples ideas on the legitimacy of the Wizards though....

Last edited by a moderator:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They, like Toronto, have a solid team but I really don't consider them title contenders. Even if they have an easy path to get halfway there.

ATL, CHI & CLE are the only true title contenders in the East. Yes, Cleveland. Because they have too much talent to not be included.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They, like Toronto, have a solid team but I really don't consider them title contenders. Even if they have an easy path to get halfway there.

ATL, CHI & CLE are the only true title contenders in the East. Yes, Cleveland. Because they have too much talent to not be included.

Man....ill tell ya Sting- Alex Len really impressed me in the game vs. the Cavs....he could develop into a big man that makes a real difference and a guy you have to game plan for in acouple years.

Right now he is definitely a solid guy....but he could be the 3rd best player on a really good team eventually i think....I dunno about the 2nd best player though on a conference finals team- but i def think he could be the 3rd eventually

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a roster that is almost perfectly built for team defense and individual defense.
They might be the most versatile defensive team in the league.

They can be a top tier defense almost by default (6th as is) with average play.
If they actually played it 100% every night, they would be the #1 defense.
No other team has as much defensive talent potential.

I just don't trust their offense.

Specifically, they don't make a lot of 3s (despite shooting well) and don't get to the line that often.
The free throw line and 3-point line essentially are the most important offensive assets in a playoff series.

Eventually, that will hurt them in the playoffs.
DEFENSE does not win championships alone. That is a myth. You need some balance.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At one time this season on the Hoop there has been a lot of talk about the Raptors when they started off hot, the Hawks with their winning streak, the larger than life Cavs, and the deep and talented Bulls.

The one Eastern Conference Contender that has kinda slipped under the radar here is the Wizards. They are 29-15 which basically makes them tied with Chicago, Toronto for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th spots in the East.

They give up the 4th least points in the East and score the 6th most so they appear to be a balanced team. They lead the East in FG% at over 47%. As a team they are 2nd in the East in 3pt% at 38% which is a great advantage though that number is misleading since they are 15th (LAST) in the East in 3 point attempts.

It makes you wonder why they do not shoot more 3's since their efficiency is so great on them. For reference sake Toronto takes the most 3'sin the East at about 26 a game. Washington takes the least at 16 a game and the 2nd least is the Bobcats at 19 a game- so they are last by a good margin in attempts.

Rebounding wise they are 5th in the league. They really do not appear to have a glaring weakness anywhere as in just about every category they are in the top third of the East.

Starting Lineup
PG-Wall
SG- Beal
SF- Pierce
PF- Nene
C- Gortat

I think the Wizards starting lineup is the 5th best in the East after the Cavs, Bulls, Hawks and Raptors respectively- and right in front of the Heat and Bobcats. Gortat has really established himself as a legit center and a fringe all star at 12 and 8 with almost 55% shooting. He has proved worthy of his extension.

I think everyone thought Beal was on the cusp of turning into a guy worthy of all star consideration but instead of progressing he has actually taken some steps back in his play. He is shooting under 42%, and scoring less than 15 a game while seeing his turnovers tick upward slightly. His 3 pt shooting has been absolutely superb though. He should probably make a few all star teams in his career but it will def not be this year. He is a good player right now but DeRozan, Butler, Korver, Wade, are all better- and Joe Johnson, Avery Bradley, Victor Oladipo and the rejuvenated Jr Smith are not too far off from his level of play. If he gets going like he did the last half of the season like he did last year- the Wiz go from very good to downright dangerous but if he continues this level of play by merely matching opposing SGs on good teams- the Wiz are in trouble. He is very important to the Wizards.

They have done a great job of limiting Pierce's minutes to about 26 a game- who continues to play efficient basketball- and of course he is a great leader and clutch performer. He is a guy you trust with the ball in his hands at the end of the game- but he was never an amazing athlete- and at his age his defense has really started to slip and he is a liability against quick SF's.

Nene has had a lot of injuries, and is getting up there in age. While once he used to be a super efficient player who was a monster on the boards- he has regressed- Humphries off the bench actually averages more rebounds. Nene is only at 11.1 pts and 5.3 rebounds on 25 minutes a night. Its a good thing the Wiz have plenty of front court depth- because I think Nene is their biggest hole in the starting lineup at this point in his career.

John Wall has really come into his own as a big time all-star player. #1 in the NBA in assists at 17 pts, 10 assists and 4 rebounds a game. He is definitely one of the top 5 athletes in todays NBA- and the 2nd most athletic PG after the INSANE Russ Westbrook. The only part of his game that is sub-par is his 3 pt shooting at only 30%. His FG% is about 46% which is solid but not spectacular considering the few 3's he takes. He is #2 in the league in steals and is a defensive force. I think he is solidly a top 20 player- and could make a case for the top 10-15. He does turn the ball over a lot 3.7 a game- only 2PGs turn it over more often but Beal does not handle the ball much so he almost always has the ball in his hands. At age 24 he is right at the beginning of his prime and playing amazing basketball.

Last postseason Wall played in 11 games. The Wiz beat a rose-less chicago in the first round. overall though Wall only scored about 16 pts a game in the post season and shot a paltry 36.5% and only 22% from 3 with a dip in assists to only 7 a game. It was his first post-season experience so some fall off can be expected- but if the Wiz are going to win a series this year in a much-improved East- they will need a LOT more from Wall- instead of the regression we saw in last years playoff.

In the playoffs teams usually go to substantively 8 man rotations with a 9th and maybe 10th guy that get small minutes here and there. The best bench players on the Wizards are Kris Humphries, the returning Martell Webster, Rasual Butler (who will see his minutes go down to Webster), Andre Miller and Otto Porter. Humphries is solid and actually #2 in rebounding on their team. Webster has the highest ceiling and is the one impact guy on their bench in my opinion when healthy but he has had a bad back and not played all season until recently. Miller hardly plays anymore but is still crafty.

the Bulls with Mirotic, Gibson, Heinrich, Snell and Brooks i think have the best bench in the east. Gibson and Mirotic are both big time impact bench players- and Heinrich and Brooks bring different looks- defense and offense respectively- The Cavs bench is not deep- but Tristan Thompson and Jr Smith are high impact bench guys, and Marion and Miller are solid vets- TT and Smith would each be the best bench guy on theWiz...Toronto with Lou Williams and Patrick Patterson are both big impact bench guys- Greivs Vazquez might be the best bench Pg in the East. I dont know anything about most of the Hawks bench guys for the most part. Schroeder i do know i guess- and i think he can be a good player one day and start- and Sefolosha plays very solid perimter D off the bench and can guard ones, twos or threes...

i just really dont think much of the Wizards bench- sure they have a deep bench- for big guys alone Humprhies, Blair, Gooden, Seraphin...but are any of them really any good?

All in All- with a fairly healthy Rose, the addition of Gasol and Mirotic, and the development of Butler- i have to give Chicago the edge as long as Butler can slow down Wall. Nene has declined and gasol should tear him up while Gortat and Noah fight eachother to a relative standstill. Pierce does give them a leadership/clutch aspect- but against the Cavs they really have no one that can even slow down Lebron. LeBron would eat Pierce alive at this point- and Kyrie can play Wall to a relatively even position. Nene would get eaten alive by Love and cant run out to the perimeter and back. Shumpert was brought in to specifically slow down guys like Beal or Bron can move to covering Wall while shump covers Pierce-. The Wiz will have a very hard time stopping the Hawks offense- but they should be able to score on a Hawks defensive backcourt of Teague and Korver which is pretty soft-

The Wiz really need to get the 3 seed or i think they are busted first round. If they can get the 3 seed and stay away from the top 4 east teams (not counting themselves)- they can move on- but if they have to play the Hawks, raptors, Cavs or bulls first round

de4.jpg

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were real last season. They didn't get worse, they got better.

Last edited by a moderator:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did get better but it is hard to see them reaching further than they did last season.

They could actually be out in round 1 this year

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did get better but it is hard to see them reaching further than they did last season.

They could actually be out in round 1 this year

Chicago vs Washington in the ECF.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to rank them now:

1-Chicago (Rose is looking good, Butler has developed and Gasol was a huge pickup)
2-Washington (A deep team and they added PP, he'll be big in the playoffs imo)
3-Cleveland (playing better, but they have a lot of scorers and just 1 ball)
4-Atlanta (want to see them do it in the playoffs first, not sure they can keep this up)
5-Toronto (don't trust them without DeRozan)

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at juvenile insults.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 5 is currently

1) Atlanta
2) Cleveland
3) Chicago
4) Atlanta
5) Toronto

WSH is solid but I can't see them beating any of other 4 in a best of 7 except Toronto. A successful season for them is a 2nd round appearance IMO

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago vs Washington in the ECF.

I actually see hawks on that list. To me Chicago has always been a little overrated although they could still be the best in the east, but who knows

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 5 is currently

1) Atlanta
2) Cleveland
3) Chicago
4) Atlanta
5) Toronto

WSH is solid but I can't see them beating any of other 4 in a best of 7 except Toronto. A successful season for them is a 2nd round appearance IMO

There's no way you can have atlanta twice lol