• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the lightning a contender ?

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Doobee. The Eastern & Atlantic is a lot deeper. I really do have to admit that SY did indeed put together an interesting bunch of talented players & on paper the Bolts really look great! However, can Bishop stay healthy? Will we have players that step up & protect him & Filpp? Will we have D-men that clear the front of the net for Bishop? The Bolts now have gritty players but will they be allowed to play gritty? Will the Bolt's D be anything more than secondary offensive players? These, and more, are still questions that we will not have answers for until the start of the new season. All I can say is that IMO if Bishop is not able to be counted upon due to constant injuries, shed him or get the someone(s) to step up & get in the face (due whatever it takes) to send the message that this season Bishop will not be run into &/or abused period!
As far as the Guins, I think you all are overlooking a very talented & resilient team. I would not let my team take them lightly whatsoever! They still have the talent to whoop your ass & wipe it clean.
The problem with the Bolts is they take the subpar teams too lightly (I'm definitely not calling the Guins in this category). They keep losing to teams like the Sens, Canes, etc when they should definitely be able to beat up on them. I hope that we get a defensive system installed & I hope the Bolts lose that lack luster, flat game we seen all too often last season!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Doobee. The Eastern & Atlantic is a lot deeper. I really do have to admit that SY did indeed put together an interesting bunch of talented players & on paper the Bolts really look great! However, can Bishop stay healthy? Will we have players that step up & protect him & Filpp? Will we have D-men that clear the front of the net for Bishop? The Bolts now have gritty players but will they be allowed to play gritty? Will the Bolt's D be anything more than secondary offensive players? These, and more, are still questions that we will not have answers for until the start of the new season. All I can say is that IMO if Bishop is not able to be counted upon due to constant injuries, shed him or get the someone(s) to step up & get in the face (due whatever it takes) to send the message that this season Bishop will not be run into &/or abused period!
As far as the Guins, I think you all are overlooking a very talented & resilient team. I would not let my team take them lightly whatsoever! They still have the talent to whoop your ass & wipe it clean.
The problem with the Bolts is they take the subpar teams too lightly (I'm definitely not calling the Guins in this category). They keep losing to teams like the Sens, Canes, etc when they should definitely be able to beat up on them. I hope that we get a defensive system installed & I hope the Bolts lose that lack luster, flat game we seen all too often last season!

Yeah IShall, long season, lots of good teams, gotta keep the eyes on the prize all 82 games plus whatever you get in the playoffs. My Pens dropped a lot of games to what I consider weak opponents last year (e.g. Sabres & Panthers), I knew then they didn't have the focus to be contenders. Can't take any days off if you want the Cup!

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget the Canadiens & Rangers. Not trying to troll you guys but the Eastern Conference is still deeper than the Bruins & Lightning IMO. Even the Atlantic is deeper than the Bruins & Lightning if you think about it.

I think the rangers and Habs are going to take steps back but they both are playoff teams. I still think the penguins win that division over the rangers. I don't think the rangers or Habs improved enough this offseason. I still think it's boston on top right now to lose rask in a beast.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the rangers and Habs are going to take steps back but they both are playoff teams. I still think the penguins win that division over the rangers. I don't think the rangers or Habs improved enough this offseason. I still think it's boston on top right now to lose rask in a beast.

I agree, Canadiens & Rangers got weaker if anything but they maintained their cores & each team has a good system at play. Boston seems about the same but they didn't need to make many changes anyway. I think the Lightning are the most improved, just have questions about the defensive system they're running. They put a lot of pressure on their goalies last season. Can't have that anymore if they're going to be true Cup contenders IMO.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW I think a lot of you guys are overestimating my Pens. We are a wildcard team at best IMO.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW I think a lot of you guys are overestimating my Pens. We are a wildcard team at best IMO.

I think they fight the rangers for that division title. It's shocks me how people are high on Montreal and the rangers! The lightning with bishop and a weaker defense last year had more points ranked higher in the standings. I don't think Montreal beats tampa in the playoffs with bishop in net.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The penguins are going to win that division ya they lost Neal but the depth got a little better.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think the penguins win more games then the lightning

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they fight the rangers for that division title. It's shocks me how people are high on Montreal and the rangers! The lightning with bishop and a weaker defense last year had more points ranked higher in the standings. I don't think Montreal beats tampa in the playoffs with bishop in net.

Only thing I think the Canadiens & Rangers have on the Lightning is coaching. I think Therrien & Vignault have proven they could get teams to the SCF. I think Cooper is a good coach but still unproven. 1st time for everything tho.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The penguins are going to win that division ya they lost Neal but the depth got a little better.

I also think the penguins win more games then the lightning

I don't know what basis you would think the Pens will win more than the Lightning. Bolts have more depth, defense, goaltending, & coaching than the Pens next season. Sid Geno & MAF will all need career years for the Pens to compete.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say we have more depth at forwards! But defenseman I give you guys a little edge. But you have Malkin and Crosby are only star is stamkos! In time maybe drouin gets to that star level. Bishop and maf I really don't know we will see if bishop can do it again. But your top 4 defenseman are just as good as ours if not better. I think dowine has a bounce back year will help your lower lines. I think the rangers push the penguins but you guys win that division. I see our division going with boston tampa and Montreal fighting for the title. Penguins are always a great regular season team there issue has been playoff hockey there lower lines fail along with defense and sometimes maf. Ya we could do better then the penguins but if so not much better.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing I think the Canadiens & Rangers have on the Lightning is coaching. I think Therrien & Vignault have proven they could get teams to the SCF. I think Cooper is a good coach but still unproven. 1st time for everything tho.

I see great things from Jon cooper coming there is know doubt I have faith down the road jon cooper is the guy to lead us to the Stanley cup. Are goals against dropped last year and they had the same defenseman guy Boucher did. We could have had Lindy Ruff but yzerman saw something special in Jon cooper as did most of the fans while leading Norfolk to the Calder cup.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see great things from Jon cooper coming there is know doubt I have faith down the road jon cooper is the guy to lead us to the Stanley cup. Are goals against dropped last year and they had the same defenseman guy Boucher did. We could have had Lindy Ruff but yzerman saw something special in Jon cooper as did most of the fans while leading Norfolk to the Calder cup.

I like Cooper as a coach as well, but he's still learning. I think he needs to make that great playoff run before putting him on the same level as Julien, Therrien, & Vignault. I don't doubt that he'll eventually get there. This year he needs to prove himself by getting his team deep in the playoffs IMO.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say we have more depth at forwards! But defenseman I give you guys a little edge. But you have Malkin and Crosby are only star is stamkos! In time maybe drouin gets to that star level. Bishop and maf I really don't know we will see if bishop can do it again. But your top 4 defenseman are just as good as ours if not better. I think dowine has a bounce back year will help your lower lines. I think the rangers push the penguins but you guys win that division. I see our division going with boston tampa and Montreal fighting for the title. Penguins are always a great regular season team there issue has been playoff hockey there lower lines fail along with defense and sometimes maf. Ya we could do better then the penguins but if so not much better.

I just think we lost our best dman from last season, our best sniper, unproven coach, And the only thing we've added are depth moves. Too much of our team relies on unproven players to have big seasons. I look forward to what Kasperi Kapanen adds to the team tho.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Cooper as a coach as well, but he's still learning. I think he needs to make that great playoff run before putting him on the same level as Julien, Therrien, & Vignault. I don't doubt that he'll eventually get there. This year he needs to prove himself by getting his team deep in the playoffs IMO.

What coach can win a playoff series with andres lindback in goal ?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What coach can win a playoff series with andres lindback in goal ?

I'm not saying Cooper should be judged by what the Lightning did against the Canadiens in the 1st round. I'm just saying a coach needs to have a long playoff run under the belt before the Doobster gives them their proper dues. I've been proven wrong before. Disco won us the Cup in only half a year as coach. Experience isn't necessary sometimes, but typically speaking a coach needs a taste of a long playoff run before they are primed to win the Cup. Maybe Cooper could be another exception to the rule? I'm just saying that as of now, the top coaches in the Eastern Conference are Julien, Vignault, & Therrien (also Babcock but I don' think the Red Wings will be a good team next season).

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you just gotta take it one step at a time…

1) compete for the playoffs
2) compete for the division
3) pass the 1st round
4) pass the 2nd round
5) pass the 3rd round
6) win the Cup

As of now I think the 1st step is a certainty, the 2nd step is a possibility, after that, they gotta get it done.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this tho, taletnwise, they're just as good if not better than the Bruins, Canadiens, & Rangers. For NHL 15, Lightning will be a fun team to play. I just question the system. That question does have the ability to be answered in a big way tho. But for now I have my questions.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, our success & failure will depend on how well he could carry us on his back…

Can the Kunitz - Sid - Dupuis line dominate like it did before Dup got hurt, can they stay healthy? Big question marks IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you just gotta take it one step at a time…

1) compete for the playoffs
2) compete for the division
3) pass the 1st round
4) pass the 2nd round
5) pass the 3rd round
6) win the Cup

As of now I think the 1st step is a certainty, the 2nd step is a possibility, after that, they gotta get it done.

Ya I agree we are at step 2 compete for the division. As I said I could see boston tampa or Montreal winning the division. I'm not saying cooper is with those coaches yet but he came in his first year and coached tampa to 101 points. I'll wait to judge cooper when he has bishop in the playoffs. I fully expect the penguins to make the playoffs and compete for there division. You guys would have to trade Crosby to have a shot at mcdavid.