• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are some of you actually that naive?

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing comment that indicate athlete's should be model human beings and not make any off the field mistakes and never commit any transgression of any kind.

Are you people really that naive? These are not robots. They are not superhuman, they are not perfect.

They are human beings. They make mistakes. To a large extent, it is society that enables them to feel like they are above everyone else and are treated to a different standard because of their abilities.

Von Miller grew up in Texas where football is a religion. Athletes were treated special. They were given privileges and elevated to higher standing in the community.

They got meals for free, gifts & services given to them. And Yes, traffic tickets and underage drinking was dismissed and swept under the rug because they could play football.

And when they hit the NFL and get into trouble we are all shocked and surprised that they would make mistakes or not act responsibly at all times after being given millions of dollars?

Are you people really that naive?

I personally think Von is learning a big lesson form all of this. All his mistakes the last 2 years are catching up to him and he is paying a price for it. Both financially and a price with his team and the community in their opinion of him.

So 2 things I think are relevant.

Until he actually gets suspended for a frigging traffic violation and/or bench warrant for Failure to Appear, it is a non issue until it actually affects the team.

Personally I do not think he will get a suspension for this. When he did get the 6 game suspension, I guarantee you the League, the Broncos and Von Miller all knew about the situation in California as they already knew about the arrest for his FTA on New Years Eve since it was public. I would be very surprised if they did not. Only because it became public did the Broncos even comment on it and express their disappointment. What else did you think they would do?

Since he has actually been suspended, all he has done was get a ticket last Thursday. That is it. No arrest. No criminal activity. Just a ticket.

All the the other things happened before his suspension was handed down.

The Legaue is not going to suspend him for getting a ticket.

Put things in perspective, look at the timeline of events and stop crying the sky is falling for pete's sake.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial reaction was harsh on Miller, I admit. And for the most part, all his issues are relatively minor. However, it's still rather dumbfounding to have three similar traffic incidents, with two FTA's (so far), and for him to not have learned anything from it. Mistakes are understandable, but not so much if the same ones are repeated several times.

The urine test seems dodgy to, IMO. I mean, he either was having a really unlucky day, or he was trying to hide something else. But coupled with the other actions, makes me believe that he was hiding something, and is fully capable of making that same mistake again too. He needs to do some major work IMO to prove he's actually trying to learn from this whole mess. Right now, I don't have any confidence in the guy.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would take 1 day out of his busy schedule to go to the DMV and get his license situation straightened out. He's obviously got the money to pay the tickets, fines and whatever monetary penalties he received, and if he's gotta do community service or any other sorts of restitution with the state then he needs to get off his ass and get it done.

I PERSONALLY am not being naive about the fact that athletes are people too and prone to mistakes.

I am saying there is a VERY, VERY EASY way to squash all of this, but he apparently thinks he doesn't have to, and now it's put even more negative attention on him.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would take 1 day out of his busy schedule to go to the DMV and get his license situation straightened out. He's obviously got the money to pay the tickets, fines and whatever monetary penalties he received, and if he's gotta do community service or any other sorts of restitution with the state then he needs to get off his ass and get it done.

I PERSONALLY am not being naive about the fact that athletes are people too and prone to mistakes.

I am saying there is a VERY, VERY EASY way to squash all of this, but he apparently thinks he doesn't have to, and now it's put even more negative attention on him.

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
After Von Miller checked back with the court in CA, turns out he had already fully paid all fines. case was actually closed last July
[ame="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/378246187381702656"]1:58 PM - 12 Sep 2013[/ame]

76 Retweets 13 favorites

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial reaction was harsh on Miller, I admit. And for the most part, all his issues are relatively minor. However, it's still rather dumbfounding to have three similar traffic incidents, with two FTA's (so far), and for him to not have learned anything from it. Mistakes are understandable, but not so much if the same ones are repeated several times.

The urine test seems dodgy to, IMO. I mean, he either was having a really unlucky day, or he was trying to hide something else. But coupled with the other actions, makes me believe that he was hiding something, and is fully capable of making that same mistake again too. He needs to do some major work IMO to prove he's actually trying to learn from this whole mess. Right now, I don't have any confidence in the guy.

I agree that his behavior has been disappointing, his choices stupid, and he needs to grow up.

But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

He is one of the best pass rushers in the league. As long as he does not fail another piss test or get suspended for violating the leagues code of conduct policy, I want him on the Broncos.

FFSparky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morph, I agree with your comments on Von situation.

and to MrDoc, If Colorado's DMV is anything like my states DMV, Von will need more than a day to get his issue taken care of :doh:

I am holding hope that with his current free time he is using it wisely and getting his personal affairs in order and in 5 weeks we are back to sack dances !

Go Broncos !
:suds:

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like a whole lot of excitement over the last couple of days for nothing. I remember in college forgetting to pay a couple of parking tickets that lead to some angry parents and some judges that called me immature so I understand this kid is still young. I think this is where he just needs to hire a personal secretary and a personal driver (at least until he gets his license back) and have them organize his personal affairs so all he has to do is focus on football. I also would put some of the blame in this whole situation on the agent. As an agent you are not just worried about the contract but the personal affairs of the player because they do affect the bottom line. If I was an agent I would be asking my clients if they have any kind of tickets, bills, or anything that needs taken care of. Yes maybe he did and Von forgot but I would think your agent would be one of the first people you call after these of what can I do to not get into trouble.

All in all Von is still just suspended for 5 more games. Throw in the Broncos in essence have Von after this season on 4--1 year contracts if they so want to. His contract obviously is through next year which then the Broncos can opt for a 5th year, then franchise him twice so the Broncos have some time to see if Von can mature and move on from these stupid mistakes he has been making. If they then deem him worthy of a long term contract they still have some negotiating positives that can help keep the contract lower than one would expect for such a high profile talent.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and to MrDoc, If Colorado's DMV is anything like my states DMV, Von will need more than a day to get his issue taken care of :doh:

I am holding hope that with his current free time he is using it wisely and getting his personal affairs in order and in 5 weeks we are back to sack dances !

Go Broncos !

:10:

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it looks like a lot of fans, media and others were overreacting a bit and jumping to conclusions.

well...I kinda understand since he hasn't shown tremendous character lately..but you have to wonder where the whole "california story" came from. especially since at one point, some supposed spokeswoman for that county supported the truth of the warrant. Obviously it never existed. But, indeed he needs to quit adding fuel to the fire by getting more tickets like last week.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite part of the last 2 days in the "Von Miller Saga"?

The headline "Von Miller has open warrant in Orange County" being directly below "Aaron Hernandez is not allowed to watch football in jail" on espn.com

At some point our society will remember what perspective is, right?

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The headline "Von Miller has open warrant in Orange County" being directly below "Aaron Hernandez is not allowed to watch football in jail" on espn.com

I doubt it

kagey7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not overreacting just being realistic. Von has a long uphill battle against him. While I doubt he worries too much about what we, as fans, think - he is the one who made the statement that it is Super Bowl or bust - so he has let his teammates down. I hate that he is now being grouped in with Brandon Marshall, Ricky Williams, Lawrence Taylor and others who got in trouble in one way or other. True traffic tickets are not the same as wife beaters or murderers but it still brings negative publicity to a very talented young man. You can tell in Fox's press conference that they are growing weary of all his antics. I heard yesterday that the Broncos have an attorney whose job it is to find out if there any other outstanding situations around the country. I'm pulling for him and he better get his act together. Shannon Sharpe said on Twitter the other day that he wants to talk to him. Someone needs to. It's come down to "Von - do you want to play football or not?"

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Go Broncos !

Yah....I suppose maybe it would take more than 1 day, but jeez man......just get it done. It's not like he's a habitual offender driving on a suspended, so the most I can see them doing is giving him fines up the butt, and he may have to take some driving classes. Just get it done....and don't drive until you do.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah....I suppose maybe it would take more than 1 day, but jeez man......just get it done. It's not like he's a habitual offender driving on a suspended, so the most I can see them doing is giving him fines up the butt, and he may have to take some driving classes. Just get it done....and don't drive until you do.

He does have a nice 5 week window to possibly get all of that done and not have to worry much about football. My guess is the Broncos will inform him of all the things he needs to have done before he can come back. Sounds like the Broncos have stepped in to play daddy/babysitter and try and get all of his stuff figured out.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right on, Brother.

Her is some perspective.

The only thing the guy has done since all of this came out was get a ticket.

His arrest warrant for FTA in Arapahoe County was issued in March.

A ticket. That is it.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Morph how long until Miller does something stupid again? Yes some have overreacted but when Von Miller who is an adult acts worse then my son I will bash him all I want and he has let the Broncos down once already by being suspended 6 games. If he can stay out of the news for the rest of the year Ill believe that he actually is starting to grow up.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Morph how long until Miller does something stupid again?

I expect that no one but Von Miller knows the answer to that question. You sure as hell do not. So what is your point? Are you that pessimistic that you are just waiting for the ax to fall on that? What is the use in crying about it, if you have no control over it?

Yes some have overreacted but when Von Miller who is an adult acts worse then my son I will bash him all I want and he has let the Broncos down once already by being suspended 6 games.

Let him who is without sin, cast the first stone.

If he can stay out of the news for the rest of the year Ill believe that he actually is starting to grow up.

So, you do not want to hear about sacks, tackles, big plays he makes, any off the field charitable work he does?

Ok. Got it. Head in the sand mode, check.