• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arbitration, Options, Free Agents, Etc with our current roster

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the manager's search is behind us :doh:, we can now focus on our current roster and which actions to take or not take. So we start with our arbitration-eligible players - tender or non-tender?
  • Nomar Mazara: non-tender
  • Carlos Rodón: non-tender
  • Lucas Giolito: tender (and hopefully extend)
  • Reynaldo López: tender (possible trade bait)
  • Evan Marshall: tender
  • Adam Engel: tender
  • Jace Fry: tender
  • Yolmer Sánchez: non-tender
Buh bye Mazara, Rodón, & Sanchez. We need the coin to help pony up for some free agents and/or Giolito's extension. The rest are no-brainers. Now onto the club option players (don't think anyone on the roster is player-option eligible):
  • Edwin Encarnación: Let go
  • Gio González: Let go
  • Leury García: Pick up
I think these three are self-explanatory. More $$$ saved with dumping the first two and for all his experience & versatility, Leury at $3.5 mil is a steal. Finally, our current list of free agents:
  • Alex Colomé: Attempt to sign, but if the price is too high, let walk
  • James McCann: Let walk
  • Jarrod Dyson: Let walk
Now of course EVERYONE wants Jimmy back, but we all know he's gonna get paid elsewhere, so what's the point. It's possible that Colomé can be re-signed, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Thanks for the quarter season, Jarrod.

Oh, and major props to the Sox Machine website for providing the details and format as to the status of the above personnel. Think I'm smart enough to know all this? Me neither.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCann is gonna go. Our eggs are in the Grandal basket so no use worrying about it...

Keep:

Giolito
Garcia
Colome
Marshall
Engel

Everyone else is expendable/can be replaced.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCann is gonna go. Our eggs are in the Grandal basket so no use worrying about it...

Keep:

Giolito
Garcia
Colome
Marshall
Engel

Everyone else is expendable/can be replaced.
I'd be ok if they decided to non-tender Lopez, but maybe we can squeeze one more year out of him, perhaps in the BP and as a spot starter, or as I suggested, use him as trade bait. As for Fry, I'd tender him, as he did improve this past season and he is a lefty, of which we are in short order. But I wouldn't necessarily lose any sleep if the Sox let him walk, especially if we pick up another reliever in free agency. Everyone else we're in complete agreement, altho I'm on the doubting side of the coin that we'll keep Colomé.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be ok if they decided to non-tender Lopez, but maybe we can squeeze one more year out of him, perhaps in the BP and as a spot starter, or as I suggested, use him as trade bait. As for Fry, I'd tender him, as he did improve this past season and he is a lefty, of which we are in short order. But I wouldn't necessarily lose any sleep if the Sox let him walk, especially if we pick up another reliever in free agency. Everyone else we're in complete agreement, altho I'm on the doubting side of the coin that we'll keep Colomé.

If the only thing between us and Colome is money, then f*ck you Jerry...Get it done...along with everything else. You got your LaRussa-probably on the cheap as compared to a guy like Hinch...Now get us the rest.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the only thing between us and Colome is money, then f*ck you Jerry...Get it done...along with everything else. You got your LaRussa-probably on the cheap as compared to a guy like Hinch...Now get us the rest.
I'll forgive Jerry on the La Russa hiring if he busts out the wallet and signs some key players. If he doesn't, then I'll place a thousand year curse on him and his heirs. Threats work you know.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with LSD's logic on the players 100%.

Sign two rotations guys - one for the top two spots and the 4th starter type. The Sox seem to need Left handed power and that's about it.

Time to extend Giolito - he's proved himself.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Yolmer Sánchez: non-tender
Buh bye Mazara, Rodón, & Sanchez. We need the coin to help pony up for some free agents and/or Giolito's extension. The rest are no-brainers. Now onto the club option players (don't think anyone on the roster is player-option eligible):
  • Edwin Encarnación: Let go
  • Gio González: Let go
  • Leury García: Pick up
So far, exactly according to plan.