• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone Remember: Mark Appel?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former top pick Mark Appel leaves baseball without throwing a big league pitch

Five years doesn’t seem like a long time, but in baseball it’s an eternity. Five years ago, Appel was a highly touted college pitcher out of Stanford, and the Astros gave him a bonus of over $6 million when he signed with them. So what happened between then and now that would make him want to stop playing baseball?

Life happened. No matter how many experts say a prospect is can’t-miss, it’s never ironclad. Appel had a spectacular senior year at Stanford, but struggled immediately once he started pitching professionally. He was expected to make the majors in less than a year, which went out the window pretty quickly. He couldn’t adjust to the hitter-friendly atmosphere in Single-A Lancaster, or to the system they used for starters which required him to start every fourth day. In 2014 he racked up a 9.74 ERA in 12 starts, and told Lee that he was “maybe the worst pitcher in professional baseball” that year.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a process going from the ace of the college staff to one of the 13 or so guys who will get invited to spring training.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never could put it all together. Injuries and ineffectiveness. It's surprising to me, because he seemed to me like a can't miss.

He seems to have a pretty good attitude about it though. I wish him the best in the future.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty obvious he wasn't going to make it. Good athletes from Stanford don't graduate. Ones that know they are over hyped stay and get a degree.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former top pick Mark Appel leaves baseball without throwing a big league pitch

Five years doesn’t seem like a long time, but in baseball it’s an eternity. Five years ago, Appel was a highly touted college pitcher out of Stanford, and the Astros gave him a bonus of over $6 million when he signed with them. So what happened between then and now that would make him want to stop playing baseball?

Life happened. No matter how many experts say a prospect is can’t-miss, it’s never ironclad. Appel had a spectacular senior year at Stanford, but struggled immediately once he started pitching professionally. He was expected to make the majors in less than a year, which went out the window pretty quickly. He couldn’t adjust to the hitter-friendly atmosphere in Single-A Lancaster, or to the system they used for starters which required him to start every fourth day. In 2014 he racked up a 9.74 ERA in 12 starts, and told Lee that he was “maybe the worst pitcher in professional baseball” that year.
i do...from my thread on this, last week.

Mark Appel, arguably the biggest draft bust in MLB history, leaves baseball

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made 6 mil Id gladly take it:suds: