• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone ever smoked a fatty?

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. I'm going to try my first one this weekend at the game. I'll have a rack of ribs for back up though, in case I fuck it it up, although I can't see how. I think I'm gonna do the cheeseburger fatty.

Good call, I think that's my favorite so far. Be prepared for the meat to look rather pink though. With ground beef being so porous it can take on quite a bit of smoke even with the bacon weave on it and can appear to be under cooked. As I'm sure you know, it's all about the internal temp anyway.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call, I think that's my favorite so far. Be prepared for the meat to look rather pink though. With ground beef being so porous it can take on quite a bit of smoke even with the bacon weave on it and can appear to be under cooked. As I'm sure you know, it's all about the internal temp anyway.

Well, I'm actually calling an audible. I'm going to try it over indirect heat on my Weber. I figure it may cook a little faster, but it can't fuck it up that much. Can it?

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm actually calling an audible. I'm going to try it over indirect heat on my Weber. I figure it may cook a little faster, but it can't fuck it up that much. Can it?

I use a modified Brinkman that's indirect. It goes firepit, water pan, cooking grates from the bottom of the barrel up. Pretty much the same as a Weber Smokey Mtn. after my mods. Comes out perfect imo. If you're talking about a regular Weber charcoal grill it should still come out fine, just don't want to go too fast and have the outside get overcooked and the inside undercooked. You end up with a decent size log after everything's all rolled up.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use a modified Brinkman that's indirect. It goes firepit, water pan, cooking grates from the bottom of the barrel up. Pretty much the same as a Weber Smokey Mtn. after my mods. Comes out perfect imo. If you're talking about a regular Weber charcoal grill it should still come out fine, just don't want to go too fast and have the outside get overcooked and the inside undercooked. You end up with a decent size log after everything's all rolled up.

Yea, I'm thinking the 250 is still low enough to allow everything to cook evenly inside and out. If I have to heat it up at the end to crisp up the bacon I will, but I figure 2 hours at 250 will get the bacon plenty crispy.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I'm thinking the 250 is still low enough to allow everything to cook evenly inside and out. If I have to heat it up at the end to crisp up the bacon I will, but I figure 2 hours at 250 will get the bacon plenty crispy.

Sounds like a winner to me. That should come out really good.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a winner to me. That should come out really good.

I hope so. It's our tailgating fare this weekend. ALthough, like I said previously, I will be grillin some ribs for back up. Just in case. I'm also doing those Atomic Buffalo Turds that are mentioned in that recipe with the link you gave. Prepping those right now, as a matter of fact.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so. It's our tailgating fare this weekend. ALthough, like I said previously, I will be grillin some ribs for back up. Just in case. I'm also doing those Atomic Buffalo Turds that are mentioned in that recipe with the link you gave. Prepping those right now, as a matter of fact.

Making me hungry just thinking about it. I may have to smoke something up Sunday, seeing as how I work on Saturdays. :tsk:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I got everything I need for tomorrow, so all systems are go!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fatty and ribs are on the grill smoking.

Lessons learned about the fatty:

Choose better bacon. I got some tyson thick cut bacon, but it was still kind of thin and not meaty enough. I still managed the weave, but I think it would be better with better bacon. I still tried to pick meater bacon, but I'm gonna be more on it next time. Also, don't even think about using the end pieces off the bacon slab, not enough to them. Bacon weave did do well overall, but not as pretty as the pictures.

Make sure you pound the meat into a ball before making the flat piece. I don't know wtf I was thinking just patting it down in a flat thing. Of course it breaks apart as I'm trying to make the log. :doh: Luckily I was able to take the cheese off, do it right and fix it. Much easier to get the log after, but it's still pretty delicate.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fatty and ribs are on the grill smoking.

Lessons learned about the fatty:

Choose better bacon. I got some tyson thick cut bacon, but it was still kind of thin and not meaty enough. I still managed the weave, but I think it would be better with better bacon. I still tried to pick meater bacon, but I'm gonna be more on it next time. Also, don't even think about using the end pieces off the bacon slab, not enough to them. Bacon weave did do well overall, but not as pretty as the pictures.

Make sure you pound the meat into a ball before making the flat piece. I don't know wtf I was thinking just patting it down in a flat thing. Of course it breaks apart as I'm trying to make the log. :doh: Luckily I was able to take the cheese off, do it right and fix it. Much easier to get the log after, but it's still pretty delicate.

Did you use the gallon freezer bag method for flatting out your meat?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you use the gallon freezer bag method for flatting out your meat?

No, but I almost put it on the outside of one until I found the wax paper. Now that you mention using the bag, I'm assuming you mean inside and it seems like a good idea. :lol:

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but I almost put it on the outside of one until I found the wax paper. Now that you mention using the bag, I'm assuming you mean inside and it seems like a good idea. :lol:

:lol:
Yup, inside. I just take the meat out of the package, throw it in the bag and roll it out with a rolling pin so it fills up the entire bag, usually comes out around 1/2 in. thick or so. Then open the bag and tear it down the seams on each side, put your ingredients on and use the bag itself to help roll up the meat. The nice square shape rolls up nicely, then just set it on the edge of your bacon weave and roll it up too.

Last edited by a moderator:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be sure to wrap and chill yer shit too.

Twice.

Once, after you roll it, and again after you roll the bacon on.

Yum.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be sure to wrap and chill yer shit too.

Twice.

Once, after you roll it, and again after you roll the bacon on.

Yum.

That does help firm it up a bit. I usually freeze my leftovers and just slice off however much I want the next day or whatever and heat it up in a skillet on the stove. Gives it a nice crust. :hungry:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I just wanna smoke a fatty...and smoke a fatty.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That does help firm it up a bit. I usually freeze my leftovers and just slice off however much I want the next day or whatever and heat it up in a skillet on the stove. Gives it a nice crust. :hungry:

guinness-brilliant-o.gif

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I may have overcooked my fatty, wasn't all that great and was kind of dry. Had trouble getting the internal temp up to 165, so I'm not sure whats up with that.

Still edible, but not as good as I hoped.

Ribs were awesome once again.