• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anthony Davis

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Several? Not sure how you are quantifying that but to get beat 4 or 5 times around the edge in 564 drop backs, while not exceptional is hardly indicative of someone deserving of your criticism. Besides, the best pass rushers will always make even the best tackles look ridiculous from time to time.

As for his FS's he had a couple during pre-season along with a illegal formation - but during regular season he has been pretty damn stout.

I think the bad rap on Anthony Davis at this point stems from first impression. He was a top draft pick when he entered the league and suffered a lot of growing pains. That first impression somehow stuck and in so doing, amplified anything negative that he does justified or not.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several? Not sure how you are quantifying that but to get beat 4 or 5 times around the edge in 564 drop backs, while not exceptional is hardly indicative of someone deserving of your criticism. Besides, the best pass rushers will always make even the best tackles look ridiculous from time to time.

As for his FS's he had a couple during pre-season along with a illegal formation - but during regular season he has been pretty damn stout.

"Consisting of a number more than two or three but not very many" - Provided by wikipedia.

Yes, he got beat several times. It doesn't always have to count as a sack for him to get beat either. Some of those smaller, quicker edge rusher just went right by him. He looked slow. You don't recall those times?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the bad rap on Anthony Davis at this point stems from first impression. He was a top draft pick when he entered the league and suffered a lot of growing pains. That first impression somehow stuck and in so doing, amplified anything negative that he does justified or not.

Yeah, I think you're 100% right.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Consisting of a number more than two or three but not very many" - Provided by wikipedia.

Yes, he got beat several times. It doesn't always have to count as a sack for him to get beat either. Some of those smaller, quicker edge rusher just went right by him. He looked slow. You don't recall those times?

Then by that definition, several works. As for the those smaller, quicker edge rushers, I'm not too worried about rushers who may beat Davis initially as long as he can recover and protect the angle to the QB.

There are plenty of pass rushers who beat their man initially but don't disrupt the play - Furthermore, what you are describing may have nothing at all to do with Anthony Davis.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then by that definition, several works. As for the those smaller, quicker edge rushers, I'm not too worried about rushers who may beat Davis initially as long as he can recover and protect the angle to the QB.

There are plenty of pass rushers who beat their man initially but don't disrupt the play - Furthermore, what you are describing may have nothing at all to do with Anthony Davis.

We'll see. Like i said, it's a good start for him so far. I'll be at the game this weekend, so i will be keeping an eye on him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it has everything to do with davis. he's slow off the snap. he looked good yesterday since u didn't hear him mentioned at all during the game, but we'll have to see where he's at when he's lined up against a speed rusher.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it has everything to do with davis. he's slow off the snap. he looked good yesterday since u didn't hear him mentioned at all during the game, but we'll have to see where he's at when he's lined up against a speed rusher.

Davis' mistakes and deficiencies have everything to do with Davis - correct. But many attribute mistakes to Davis that are not his and deficiencies he doesn't have. What it really has everything to do with is how well blocking techniques and protections schemes are understood.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis' mistakes and deficiencies have everything to do with Davis - correct. But many attribute mistakes to Davis that are not his and deficiencies he doesn't have. What it really has everything to do with is how well blocking techniques and protections schemes are understood.

he's a liability against speed rushers. maybe his technique will improve this year with a couple years under his belt. we'll find out soon enough.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's a liability against speed rushers. maybe his technique will improve this year with a couple years under his belt. we'll find out soon enough.

Your statement is a generalization, one which applies to nearly every tackle in the league, so I can't place much if any value on it. For what it is worth Staley has as big if not a bigger problem with speed than Davis.

As another poster alluded to earlier, I think your opinion of Davis is trapped in 2010 and is thus lagging far behind his current level of his play. I predict he will be one of the top RT's in the league this year from a Sack & YPC metric.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol no it doesn't apply to nearly every tackle in the league. davis had problems last year with speed. staley is better at RT but he can do a decent job most of the time at LT. davis would get abused at LT.

i hope he's improved from last year, as i said we'll see.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol no it doesn't apply to nearly every tackle in the league. davis had problems last year with speed. staley is better at RT but he can do a decent job most of the time at LT. davis would get abused at LT.

i hope he's improved from last year, as i said we'll see.

Haha - I'm pretty sure nearly all tackles get swept by speed rushers from time to time, but if I'm wrong please feel free to provide some names. As for waiting to see - you keep waiting and I'll keep watching - Davis is a solid RT and I expect he'll have an exceptional season.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great article from FO about the SF O-Line.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Word of Muth: 49ers Down the Packers

Snippet about Davis: he other big concern for 49ers fans up front is probably Davis. The former first-rounder was solid, if unspectacular. He did a nice job in pass protection. I can recall just two times where he really got beat, and both times Alex Smith stepped up in the pocket to avoid the pressure. Davis was also pretty good in the running game, though one thing I did notice is that he had a hard time sticking to linebackers at the second level. He got to them fine, and made solid contact, but would let them come off late and make the play. His initial blocks still allowed the backs to gain four-to-seven yards, but it is something he should work to clean up.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm glad I never gave up on Davis because he's turning into a solid RT. Wish he were as good in pass protection as he is in the run game, but overall he's looking good.

You can't write off the 2nd youngest player in the NFL (like he was as a rook) after 1 season (or even 2 for that matter).

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad I never gave up on Davis because he's turning into a solid RT. Wish he were as good in pass protection as he is in the run game, but overall he's looking good.

You can't write off the 2nd youngest player in the NFL (like he was as a rook) after 1 season (or even 2 for that matter).

He'll get there - I saw some new technique from him this past Sunday that I don't recall seeing before which means the kid still has "getting better" as a top priority. You're point about his age cannot be overlooked as well.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great article from FO about the SF O-Line.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Word of Muth: 49ers Down the Packers

Snippet about Davis: he other big concern for 49ers fans up front is probably Davis. The former first-rounder was solid, if unspectacular. He did a nice job in pass protection. I can recall just two times where he really got beat, and both times Alex Smith stepped up in the pocket to avoid the pressure. Davis was also pretty good in the running game, though one thing I did notice is that he had a hard time sticking to linebackers at the second level. He got to them fine, and made solid contact, but would let them come off late and make the play. His initial blocks still allowed the backs to gain four-to-seven yards, but it is something he should work to clean up.

Davis' biggest problem is giving up protection too soon - but I would say handling the outside speed could use some improvement as well, however, I would not classify this as a "serious" problem.

I know at times he is responsible for more than one block on rushing plays and at times the play hasn't caught up to his second block - but sometimes holding his blk for a fraction of a second longer could produce measurable results.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll get there - I saw some new technique from him this past Sunday that I don't recall seeing before which means the kid still has "getting better" as a top priority. You're point about his age cannot be overlooked as well.

At least you can admit he wasn't great in pass protection the past couple of years. I noticed this as well. He looked more mobile and powerful in game 1. That's for sure.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least you can admit he wasn't great in pass protection the past couple of years. I noticed this as well. He looked more mobile and powerful in game 1. That's for sure.

He was decent in run blocking but struggled in pass-pro his rookie year - last year he was noticeably improved in both pass-pro and run blocking. If he improves this year at the same rate he did between his rookie and 2nd year he will be a pro-bowl caliber RT. He used his hands better Sunday.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He was young and raw when he was drafted so I expected him to be behind the curb compared to other tackles in his draft class.

The main thing with Davis is he continues to show improvement and he could wind up being the best tackle out of the 2010 class.

Much rather have Davis than Mr. Glass Okung at this point as at least he's way more durable.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was young and raw when he was drafted so I expected him to be behind the curb compared to other tackles in his draft class.

The main thing with Davis is he continues to show improvement and he could wind up being the best tackle out of the 2010 class.

Much rather have Davis than Mr. Glass Okung at this point as at least he's way more durable.

Very true. Also, don't hear much about Trent Williams. How's he turned out?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Maybe wishes do come true........ :D

San Francisco 49ers: Offensive tackle Anthony Davis is tied for the lead in Pass Blocking Efficiency for tackles at 98.9% after allowing just one hurry in two games. It is a significant improvement after finishing in the bottom half of the league in 2011.

PFF Week 2 observation