• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another retired player..ugh!

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not want to see Peers, Looney or J Martin starting for us. We will be in Big trouble. J. Martin was flat out bad last year.

J. Martin was cut loose. And because Harbaugh was his chief supporter, you won't ever see him in a 49ers uniform

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J. Martin was cut loose. And because Harbaugh was his chief supporter, you won't ever see him in a 49ers uniform
Oline was our strengh and now its a weakness. Damn this sucks.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oline was our strengh and now its a weakness. Damn this sucks.

IMO, the Niners are still in the conversation for best OL in the division, though the Cards are probably the clear favorite at that spot at this point. That's more a reflection of the division, perhaps, than the Niners, but if Kilgore returns we've got at least good players at three of five spots.

RT is probably the easiest position on the OL to address, though it can certainly be a disaster - like last year. We've got to fill two spots, and we added two starting-caliber OL in last year's draft. This is not good, at all, but it's not the end of the world either.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough off season for ya'll. My sincere condolences. I know what it's like to have question marks all over a roster. It sucks beyond measure as a fan.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't work that way, though. The Niners retain his rights.
9ers retain the rights of course. He has left the door open to come back. Not retiring as some media outlets (including the title of this thread) lead many to believe.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I do not want to see Peers, Looney or J Martin starting for us. We will be in Big trouble. J. Martin was flat out bad last year.

J. Martin is already gone.

IMO let the best play even if it turns out to be Looney and/or Peers. The harder part for Coaches is figuring out chemistry, so two players might be close but the "lesser" one might fit better. If so, the one with better 'communication' should start off the season.

They can always change as the season progresses, to find the right combination.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Almost seems like Borland's decision may have influenced his.

Maybe but can't see it influencing it much? Because Davis was already injured and concussed last season.

Since Tomsuila wasn't shocked by this, the implication is they knew Davis wasn't going to be back 100%. If he wasn't coming back physically and mentally, then he wouldn't start anyway, maybe remain on IR another season?

If they gain cap space and retain rights, this is good for the 49ers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
b

better would of been before the draft or FA. Now we have no Depth at the Oline and who replaces him. Only thing I can think of is Thomas(1st year playing) in his spot and martin starts at guard now. Long shot is that FSU player that we drafted in the 6th or 7th rd who is having a good OTA's but again he is a rookie. Lets hope 49ers can pick someone up to compete for the spot or at least give us depth.

IMO we don't NEED to pick someone up, we should let the current guys compete. Seems like they have a few guys even when not counting Brown. No, they aren't Pro Bowlers, but you'll have to give up a lot now, to get one.

Scouting the 49ers in-house options to replace RT Anthony Davis 49ers Hot Read

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LT - Staley
LG - Brandon Thomas
C - Kilgore
RG - Marcus Martin
RT - Boone

backup Tackle - Trent Brown
if a tackle goes down, put Trent Brown in at RT (if Staley goes down, Boone goes to LT, Brown to RT)

backup Guard - Looney

backup Center - if Kilgore goes down swing Martin to Center and Looney in at Guard

Keep Pears around just for depth for a year

Not so bad

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LT - Staley
LG - Brandon Thomas
C - Kilgore
RG - Marcus Martin
RT - Boone

if a tackle goes down, put Trent Brown in at RT (if Staley goes down, Boone goes to LT, Brown to RT)

backup Guard - Looney

backup Center - if Kilgore goes down swing Martin to Center and Looney in at Guard

Not so bad

agree, it ain't THAT bad.

if i had to guess now, Looney over Martin at RG.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read Davis' tweet again this morning. Also have to keep in mind this is not Borland who retired from the NFL for good. Davis stated he could come back next year. Not a guarantee, but this might just be a one season deal

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT - Staley
LG - Brandon Thomas
C - Kilgore
RG - Marcus Martin
RT - Boone

backup Guard - Looney

Not so bad
Looks bad to me, we have a rookie, 1 year guy in martin who was so so and Boone playing a new position and will now ask for more money because he is a tackle and a guy coming back from injury.

Looks really bad to me. Its clear that its not great.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks bad to me, we have a rookie, 1 year guy in martin who was so so and Boone playing a new position and will now ask for more money because he is a tackle and a guy coming back from injury.

Doesn't look really bad to me, but there are question marks for sure. It really comes down to how Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas work out. Kilgore and Staley are fine. I am not in the least concerned about how Martin looked last year. A 20 year old rookie who couldn't participate in training camp and was then thrown into the starting center position mid year. I doubt very few if any olineman in that situation is going to look good. The tough part of course is some rookies take time to develop and olines need to play together for a time in order to gel and become consistent.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Nothing is clear. Staley and Boone are both good players (assuming Boone doesn't start off shaky again). Boone has played OT and played it well in the past when filling in for injuries. Outside of that, there are questions. Kilgore played quite well prior to the injury. If he can return, center is in good shape, too. That leaves two spots. Last year we drafted a guy widely regarded as the top center and probably a top-5 interior OL. We also drafted an OT/OG who probably goes early second but for his injury. We don't know how they'll play, but there is reason to expect they'll be okay. Even with Davis leaving, there are several NFL teams that would swap situations with us in a second, including:

The NFC champion Seattle Seahawks. They are trotting out a unit whose best player (Okung) was mediocre last year and who has a long injury history. Their next safest bets are a second-year RT who was extremely shaky in pass protection as a rookie and an OG who is a DL convert and who was shaky all around last year. The last two spots are total question marks. They'll either be plugging in two guys who were taken in the late-4th this year, or falling back on some UDFA "vets."

And the St. Louis Rams. They are moving a second-year OL who was pretty bad as a rookie, a failed OT who has been passable at OG, and a bunch of draft picks.

And the Carolina Panthers. They've got a good center, and then a barren wasteland.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is clear. Staley and Boone are both good players (assuming Boone doesn't start off shaky again). Boone has played OT and played it well in the past when filling in for injuries. Outside of that, there are questions. Kilgore played quite well prior to the injury. If he can return, center is in good shape, too. That leaves two spots. Last year we drafted a guy widely regarded as the top center and probably a top-5 interior OL. We also drafted an OT/OG who probably goes early second but for his injury. We don't know how they'll play, but there is reason to expect they'll be okay. Even with Davis leaving, there are several NFL teams that would swap situations with us in a second, including:

The NFC champion Seattle Seahawks. They are trotting out a unit whose best player (Okung) was mediocre last year and who has a long injury history. Their next safest bets are a second-year RT who was extremely shaky in pass protection as a rookie and an OG who is a DL convert and who was shaky all around last year. The last two spots are total question marks. They'll either be plugging in two guys who were taken in the late-4th this year, or falling back on some UDFA "vets."

And the St. Louis Rams. They are moving a second-year OL who was pretty bad as a rookie, a failed OT who has been passable at OG, and a bunch of draft picks.

And the Carolina Panthers. They've got a good center, and then a barren wasteland.

True. We could also have a dominant pass rush this year with Smith, Lynch, and Carradine playing a full season together. From what I've read Mangini is also going to be more aggressive with the D play this year, although there is some risk to that. Don't forget we lose Iupati's poor pass blocking. A poster at another 49er site played a bunch of clips of Iupati whiffing on blocks and allowing defenders a clear path to hit Kaepernick. If Iupati continues with that trend, Carson Palmer will end up in a hospital ward.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't look really bad to me, but there are question marks for sure. It really comes down to how Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas work out. Kilgore and Staley are fine. I am not in the least concerned about how Martin looked last year. A 20 year old rookie who couldn't participate in training camp and was then thrown into the starting center position mid year. I doubt very few if any olineman in that situation is going to look good. The tough part of course is some rookies take time to develop and olines need to play together for a time in order to gel and become consistent.
I agree, it depends if martin takes a step forward and Thomas plays like he is suppose to.

Crazy how this Brown kid is looking so good. To be a 7th rd pick and might start or get some playing time. How did he fall. Was it due to his weight but has to be something else. U can get a player to lose weight.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With Lee's exit, Davis becomes longest-tenured 49ers player | CSN Bay Area

Things change fast in the NFL, cause that is just the way it is. The 49er's had a good run under Harbaugh, but players eventually age past their prime, and/or sustain lingering injuries/concussions. We don't like it when good players leave but if they can no longer play at their high level (Justin, Willis, and A. Davis), better to move on.

With Vernon Davis not doing well (likely age and injuries too), multiple TE's with potential, and seeing how this team is setting up "younger", ok trading Vernon too. Not saying lets push a trade but if a decent deal comes along, take it.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it depends if martin takes a step forward and Thomas plays like he is suppose to.

Crazy how this Brown kid is looking so good. To be a 7th rd pick and might start or get some playing time. How did he fall. Was it due to his weight but has to be something else. U can get a player to lose weight.

I don't follow College ball. Not sure. I read somewhere his college play was inconsistent. I think he also had weight/conditioning issues but could be mistaken about that part.